Contribute
Register

ASUS G60Vx ROG Laptop : Can't wake up from sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the offer of assist, FatShenanigans!

As some of you know, last weekend I threw down a grand and got myself an Asus G60Vx "Republic of Gamers" laptop - C2D P8400, 4Gb RAM, GTX 360M 1Gb, 16" screen, etc. I bought this with the expectation of getting all the important bits working, with the exception of the WiFi (Intel 5100). Just for the record, I bought this for the price-to-power ratio, not because I'm a rabid gamer. I'm delving into Mac/iPhone/iPad coding, actually.

Anyway.

So far, so good. I've been editing the DSDT for a week now, and its fairly stable. VoodooHDA still occasionally crashes at startup (was very frequent until I nuked AppleHDA.kext), but everything else is good.

What is NOT good, is that sleep doesn't work. Well, it does sleep, it just doesn't wake up! The power button works fine, USB devices are all recognized as internal, ditto with SATA.

At the moment, closing the lid merely shuts off the screen. The machine is still active... I've commented out that particular hack for the time being, so it's merely a glorified screen saver.

Anyway. If I activate sleep (whether via the apple menu or the powerbutton menu), the computer spins down as expected. If I then press the power button or any button on the keyboard, the lights come on, I hear the DVD drive activating... then nothing. No reaction from anything. Pressing the power button followed by S or R does nothing.

That's the priority. Beyond that, any assistance regarding speedstep (which I don't understand at all yet, but realize the importance of), proper power management, and injecting ALC663 (using VoodooHDA) or the ethernet (EthernetBuiltin, AsereBLN booter) would be much appreciated.

Plus, although it works fine with regards to QE/CI, I've a suspicion my gfx entry (VGA) is wrong, as this is a laptop with a panel, VGA and HDMI out, not a desktop with two DVI outs. Help in that area would be great, too.

Attached are the original DSDT, my current, commented DSDT, a system profiler export, and a saved ioreg from ioregistryexplorer.

If you need anything else, shout.

Attachments

• MacBook.spx.zip
    144.2 KB · Views: 109
  • Stone-D.ioreg.zip
    367 KB · Views: 95
  • DSDTs.zip
    70.1 KB · Views: 143
This is cool because your board probably represents about half of the current ASUS laptops. Try this file first and let me know if it solves any problems.

I changed your USB devices to match the ICH8-M platform since your device ID's are only one number away - with the ICH10 they were way off so that might be part of the problem. I also changed everything else to spoof the ICH8-M.

I fixed your HPET code, your CPU code, and a ton of other things. Most of what I added was code that supports the S3 sleep state.

The only problem with laptop code is that there's so much! At least you were able to do most of the other edits already so that saved some time. I have a feeling that this will become an ASUS laptop guide.

Attachments

• G60VXASUS.aml
    48.8 KB · Views: 164
  • G60VXASUS.aml
    48.8 KB · Views: 209
That was fast! Thanks, I'll give it a spin and report back ASAP.

BTW, what's with the two attachments? Wouldn't let you delete?

OK, did a compare of the two attachments, I see the only difference was the return value for S3D.

Unfortunately, neither file worked. Now, with either of them, it won't even go into full sleep - the screen dies, DVD locks, but some lights remain on and the fan is still blowing.
** EDITED some nonsense my keyboard ejected here **
However, shutdown works properly with your edits. Previously only restart worked fine, though whether that was due to the booter or the dsdt, I cannot say.
** END EDIT**

Additionally, my keyboard and trackpad were consistently seizing, as if VoodooPS2 was crashing. Had to use my usb mouse to reboot a few times. Note that this has happened a few times with my own DSDT, but in those cases the keyboard spazzes out, spamming a single letter like eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee etc.

System profiler reported that 2 or three of the USB ports were expansion slots.

BTW, I forgot to detail my kexts :

Round 1:
FakeSMC (2.5)
VoodooTSCSync
SleepEnabler
VoodooBattery
VoodooPowerMini
VoodooMonitor

Round 2:
FakeSMC (2.5)
VoodooTSCSync

Gonna go try round 3 now. Brb.

EDIT: OK, did a couple of rounds with CPUS=1 to no effect, same results.

OK, I've just spent the last couple of hours merging and commenting your changes with my current DSDT, keeping yours over mine. Am using it right now, if only to test the PS2 issues I've been having. As you can see, so far so good. :p

Your ICH-8 modifications to USB/SATA worked as expected except for 3 USB ports (0x37, 0x38, 0x39) which have become expansion ports. I have no idea why, their respective sections look the same to me.

I'm attaching the merged DSDT so that, if this does end up as a tutorial thread, people can track the changes.

BTW, one other thing. I've only recently noticed this and it's happening with my previous DSDT as well - I'm getting stuttering in audio now. I don't remember getting that last week. Hmmm.

Edit:
Added Merged.ioreg.zip
Added Kexts.txt (Output of kextstat -l, identifying Extra/Extension kexts and Ralink wifi driver)

Attachments

• Merged.dsl.zip
    38.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Merged.ioreg.zip
    371.4 KB · Views: 94
  • kexts.txt
    9.8 KB · Views: 230
I think it's the Event controller - ok I'll take a look now.

Good - keeping track of kexts is the key also.

Edit - What does the Voodoo TSCsync do? I wonder if it conflicts with the power management code I added to the CPU.

I just ran a test. I moved out VoodooTSCSync, VoodooPowerMini and VoodooBattery out of E/E, leaving just SleepEnabler and FakeSMC. I booted with CPUS=1, and had exactly the same result with sleep. Display off, drive spins down, DVD locks down, but lights remain on. Hard reset required.

Stone-D said:
OK, I've just spent the last couple of hours merging and commenting your changes with my current DSDT, keeping yours over mine. Am using it right now, if only to test the PS2 issues I've been having. As you can see, so far so good. :p

Your ICH-8 modifications to USB/SATA worked as expected except for 3 USB ports (0x37, 0x38, 0x39) which have become expansion ports. I have no idea why, their respective sections look the same to me.

I'm attaching the merged DSDT so that, if this does end up as a tutorial thread, people can track the changes.

BTW, one other thing. I've only recently noticed this and it's happening with my previous DSDT as well - I'm getting stuttering in audio now. I don't remember getting that last week. Hmmm.

Edit:
Added Merged.ioreg.zip
Added Kexts.txt (Output of kextstat -l, identifying Extra/Extension kexts and Ralink wifi driver)

I took out the S3 from the hubs (probably related to it showing up as expansion) but kept it in the ports. I've been getting that confused lately...just silly mistakes. I added some code to support the Event controller and put back the CIR for now even though I don't think it's active in OSX. I did make a mistake with a the device ID where it was 29 but should have been 28. When I get more time I'll look at your PS2 code and compare it to my laptop and my macbook since I'm not sure about that portion. But I never had much luck with Voodoo PS2 kexts and just used the ApplePS2.

Hopefully I can get some more time to look at it again later today. At this point there isn't much code that can be added - now it would be time to subtract. I think the S3 in the hubs might have something to do with the partial sleep you experienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back