i7-6850k
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 Gaming
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I finally got my sound working on the Asus X99 Deluxe II with the 1150 (ALZA) with Sierra 10.6.12. Overall the sound works pretty well but there is a very high frequency noise in the background. It is not loud but you can just hear it when sound isn't playing.

I have the same problem with the AppleHDA, VoodooHDA, and usb Turtle Beach sound. It occurs on both an externally connected receiver and via head phones.

I've played with the Midi interface to turn down the microphone. When sound is playing I don't hear it but it is a constant background irritation with no sound. If I can't track it down, I'll re-install the OS on another drive. I tweaked a lot of things trying to get the sound working and to understand the process.

I still need to get hdmi sound working to see if that has the same issue.

Any suggestions on where I should look/tweak/delete/take sledgehammer to?

Front panel or motherboard audio port?

The same sound comes out of both front and rear ports as well as a Turtle Beach USB sound card. The same background buzz occurs with headphones or a receiver.

Because the buzz comes from both the built in sound card and the USB dongle, I assume it's a software/configuration issue.

Clearly not software or configuration, likely, a case/motherboard grounding problem.

Normally I would agree as it sounds similar. The sound works perfectly fine without feedback on both Windows and Ubuntu with either the motherboard sound card or the USB sound card. I'll double check the motherboard installation and do further testing.

After more testing, I believe you are correct and it's a grounding issue. At this point, it's either the MB mounted with a ground somewhere, the 1080, the power supply, or a motherboard problem. Except for the video card, PSU, and remounting the motherboard, I removed everything that could be causing the issue.

Thanks for the help. When I get a chance to completely disassemble it, I'll have to hope it's not a motherboard problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back