Contribute
Register

ASUS Aura control for RGB lighting with a Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started to build a new app for my asus laptop G531GT to control keyboard leds color and intensity.

My keyboard seems to have only one color zone, 4 brightness steps and has the following USB ID 0b05:1866

Currently i am able to control keyboard and lightbar color and intensity from my cli app under linux but started to build a new macos app.
If anyone is interested please let me know your USB ID and device capabilities.
A wireshard usbpcap capture during brightness up/down will help, also another pcap log changing the color scheme and/or settings different zones will be much appreciated. Hopefully you can provide the output os lsusb -v or ioreg which will help a lot.

Very cool project. Will donate when it works for my board and accessories. If I get the correct product ID for my Z390-I Gaming, will I be able to control my motherboard RGB? Most everything keeps it settings, except for fans which are directly powered and controlled by MB headers. Those reset with every sleep.

Hello @ModMike , thanks, the actual version of macAura does works only with internal usb aura lights, your system's aura is over smbus which is not currently supported and probably will never be, as i do not own such hardware to play with, however, there exists a linux project OpenRGB which claim to be able to control the lights, if works the code can be ported to mac.

Hello @ModMike , thanks, the actual version of macAura does works only with internal usb aura lights, your system's aura is over smbus which is not currently supported and probably will never be, as i do not own such hardware to play with, however, there exists a linux project OpenRGB which claim to be able to control the lights, if works the code can be ported to mac.

Thank you for the reply!

@serdeliuk

I looked at openRGB but it is very fragmented and I could not get it to work reliably.

I took another look at macAura, inserted the right product ID and now I can connect. The only thing I am trying to control is the 3 pin RGB connector but nothing happens other than the keyboard graphic showing up when I connect. Any advice?

Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 8.13.31 PM.png

Last edited:
Hi @ModMike unfortunately desktop motherboards control the aura lights over smbus, macAura at this stage is able to control only usb devices, your productID 6307 is probably an usb port or hub but not the aura controller. Can you give me the exact model/version of your motherboard? I will try to see if it is supported by OpenRGB and if it is i can try to compile a small cli app to see what is going on, and if we have a bit of success we can fully develop an app for smbus too, unfortunately i do not own such hardware which makes the development extremely difficult

Hi @ModMike unfortunately desktop motherboards control the aura lights over smbus, macAura at this stage is able to control only usb devices, your productID 6307 is probably an usb port or hub but not the aura controller. Can you give me the exact model/version of your motherboard? I will try to see if it is supported by OpenRGB and if it is i can try to compile a small cli app to see what is going on, and if we have a bit of success we can fully develop an app for smbus too, unfortunately i do not own such hardware which makes the development extremely difficult

Would really appreciate it. Its an Asus ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming.

@ModMike do you still have windows on this motherboard and aura software installed? Are you able to control the aura lights from windows and/or linux? I wonder if in your research find a linux piece of opensouorce software which is able to control full or partial your lights. Do you have linux installed? :)

@ModMike do you still have windows on this motherboard and aura software installed? Are you able to control the aura lights from windows and/or linux? I wonder if in your research find a linux piece of opensouorce software which is able to control full or partial your lights. Do you have linux installed? :)

I do have Windows but no linux. Can easily control from Windows.

@ModMike do you have space on your hdd to put a linux too? If i will be able to find something will help to have linux too.

Do you have only leds which came with motherboard? Or something extra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back