Contribute
Register

Asus 1155 Patched BIOS Repository

Status
Not open for further replies.
philz said:
ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen 3 Status Update:
Well got everything off of my "table" setup and into the case that arrived, along with complete soundproofing of the case, and annoyingly FrozenCPU sent me the wrong radiator...

So I don't know when I'll be able to test the setup after OC'ing but so far seems to be running quite well. No real complaints. The latest Intel NIC driver as mentioned by others before adds a lot to the console log (though not bad info just annoying). Using the 4/14 driver and it's pretty good.

CPU multiplier wise I've hit more P-States than ever before on a gigabyte system! Woo!

Still think some of the DSDT could be optimized, many of the changes it makes in fixing errors seemingly makes some sections redundant. Plus there are two sets of WAK/PTS/PWRB so not sure which one is loading (and partially why I think toledo's patch is moot–well that and the missing devices).
That's definitely true. I haven't added any patches related to those areas so perhaps the DSDT is flawed from the start. I'll have to look closer at that. Thanks for the info.

Lastly audio seems to "pop" threw the normal output (whenever a sound needs to play it "pops" as if audio coming back to life and then it's ok. Other line-outs are fine. Odd)
That's been my experience with every ALC889 board I've used so far but they were all Gigabyte. Try toleda's optimized AppleHDA for ALC889 and see if it's any better.

brycv said:
philz said:
ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen 3 Status Update:
Well got everything off of my "table" setup and into the case that arrived, along with complete soundproofing of the case, and annoyingly FrozenCPU sent me the wrong radiator...

So I don't know when I'll be able to test the setup after OC'ing but so far seems to be running quite well. No real complaints. The latest Intel NIC driver as mentioned by others before adds a lot to the console log (though not bad info just annoying). Using the 4/14 driver and it's pretty good.

CPU multiplier wise I've hit more P-States than ever before on a gigabyte system! Woo!

Still think some of the DSDT could be optimized, many of the changes it makes in fixing errors seemingly makes some sections redundant. Plus there are two sets of WAK/PTS/PWRB so not sure which one is loading (and partially why I think toledo's patch is moot–well that and the missing devices).
That's definitely true. I haven't added any patches related to those areas so perhaps the DSDT is flawed from the start. I'll have to look closer at that. Thanks for the info.

Lastly audio seems to "pop" threw the normal output (whenever a sound needs to play it "pops" as if audio coming back to life and then it's ok. Other line-outs are fine. Odd)
That's been my experience with every ALC889 board I've used so far but they were all Gigabyte. Try toleda's optimized AppleHDA for ALC889 and see if it's any better.

Now that you mention it my EP45-UD3P did the same thing. Bah! I'll try Toleda's but I doubt it'll be much better than what is in multi beast. I'll report back.

Let me know if you find anything with the DSDT's, take a look at Kaleidoscope awesome mac app to compare things 1:1 :D

philz said:
Now that you mention it my EP45-UD3P did the same thing. Bah! I'll try Toleda's but I doubt it'll be much better than what is in multi beast. I'll report back.

Let me know if you find anything with the DSDT's, take a look at Kaleidoscope awesome mac app to compare things 1:1 :D
Will do. Thanks for the suggestion.

brycv said:
philz said:

Will do. Thanks for the suggestion.

Just if any help i've attached my most recent unedited DSDT for the board, now that I don't have the NIC card, along with 16gb's of ram and a couple other drives.

Attachments

• unedited.dsl
    415.2 KB · Views: 102
Re: P8Z68-M-PRO @ 3702 Generic

starfire-1 said:
@brycv

I've attached my generic P8Z68-M-PRO dsl for the 3702 BIOS. Once I flashed, I was unable to boot back into Lion with the old DSDT, but after applying your Maximus patch and autofixing one error, I was able to get in. However, it's not configuring the GTX460 that's in the system and coming up at low res and only one monitor. Don't know if that's related.

Anyway, here it is... Thanks!
Here is a patch specific to the P8Z68-M Pro board and it also includes the ALC892 audio. Let me know if it works for you.
Asus P8Z68-M Pro DSDT Patch with ALC892.txt

Attachments

• Asus P8Z68-M Pro DSDT Patch with ALC892.txt
    9.3 KB · Views: 136
philz said:
Just if any help i've attached my most recent unedited DSDT for the board, now that I don't have the NIC card, along with 16gb's of ram and a couple other drives.
Thanks. Can you test a stock DSDT for me? This DSDT was extracted directly from the BIOS ROM so does not have any system-specific data in it but has the same patches that I provided in that previous patch file. Theoretically, this should work on anyone's system with this board and BIOS version.
Asus_Maximus-IV-Gene-Z-GEN3_3203_DSDT.aml.zip

Attachments

• Asus_Maximus-IV-Gene-Z-GEN3_3203_DSDT.aml.zip
    19.1 KB · Views: 76
brycv said:
philz said:
Thanks. Can you test a stock DSDT for me? This DSDT was extracted directly from the BIOS ROM so does not have any system-specific data in it but has the same patches that I provided in that previous patch file. Theoretically, this should work on anyone's system with this board and BIOS version.
Asus_Maximus-IV-Gene-Z-GEN3_3203_DSDT.aml.zip

It does work, I'll let you know if I experience anything different, so far everything is status quo.

Interesting the minute differences between the two.

philz said:
It does work, I'll let you know if I experience anything different, so far everything is status quo.

Excellent! Thanks for testing that. It is an interesting compare.

brycv said:
philz said:

Excellent! Thanks for testing that. It is an interesting compare.

Now this is interesting, when I had my system on the table to test (using only 4gb's of different ram and only one HD) I never experienced any "hangs"–was perfect.

Then when I patched the BIOS from the extracted DSDT from the "built" system in the case with my normal components I was getting random sporadic hangs. Beech ball, spotlight still worked, and eventually it'd come back to life. Quite annoying but relatively reproducible in certain apps. I chalked it up to allowing your HD to sleep (and them spinning back up)–I've experienced this on real macs but not as frequently as I was experiencing.

BUT, now with your extracted DSDT from the .ROM I have no issue, and I'm back to how I was on the table test setup.

Strange, as we essentially did the same thing. Even more so when the minute details in the differences between "final patched" DSDT's are well small. Though did something.

Starting to wonder if it's best to extract the DSDT from the .ROM and it be "generic" for the hardware.

I'll let you know if this changes but I haven't experienced the hang at all since. Peculiar.

philz said:
Now this is interesting, when I had my system on the table to test (using only 4gb's of different ram and only one HD) I never experienced any "hangs"–was perfect.

Then when I patched the BIOS from the extracted DSDT from the "built" system in the case with my normal components I was getting random sporadic hangs. Beech ball, spotlight still worked, and eventually it'd come back to life. Quite annoying but relatively reproducible in certain apps. I chalked it up to allowing your HD to sleep (and them spinning back up)–I've experienced this on real macs but not as frequently as I was experiencing.

BUT, now with your extracted DSDT from the .ROM I have no issue, and I'm back to how I was on the table test setup.

Strange, as we essentially did the same thing. Even more so when the minute details in the differences between "final patched" DSDT's are well small. Though did something.

Starting to wonder if it's best to extract the DSDT from the .ROM and it be "generic" for the hardware.

I'll let you know if this changes but I haven't experienced the hang at all since. Peculiar.
That's interesting. Some people say that only custom DSDT's done on the actual system are the best while others like the generic solution. I'd much prefer the generic solution myself since it can be copied to other systems easily. DSDT patching is daunting for new users for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back