Contribute
Register

ASRock Z370 / AMD Radeon VII - FCPX & DaVinchi Resolve issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like I would have noticed that problem with my Resolve test. It means in my case IGPU disabled (since my CPU doesn't have it) works okay for Resolve. One question I would have is if 10.14.6 has the same symptom for you. But hopefully @pastrychef might also have more ideas for you.

By the way, one symptom that I have discovered is that my Geekbench "compute" scores for OpenCL are way lower than when running the same benchmark in Windows. Geekbench with Metal is also way low. Both are 30% or so of normal. (Luxmark scores are normal, however.) You might want to try that one.

Last edited:
It's normal for scores to be behind in MacOS. MacOS is slower than Windows in graphic acceleration performance.
Did you try SMBIOS 18,3? This SMBIOs is also faster than 19,1 by a little.

Not small differences. Like a score of 20,000 when it's 80,000 in Windows, that kind of thing. If you search around there are a few other reports among Radeon VII users (only when not using headless IGPU, I think). It's something specific to that program, since Luxmark is unaffected. I'm unconcerned until I discover any real programs that run slowly.

But, that's all basically unrelated, as far as @j1979's problem goes.

Yes! I tried the different settings for Resolv. It freezes at work after a few minutes. At the same time, the program itself works but playback does not go and writes 0 frames and stands in place of the playhead. And when you exit the program, it freezes and does not exit completely, only forcibly. At the same time, on the configurations 19.1 19.2 with igpu turned on, everything works without hanging. But then FCPX is very slow. And if I turn off igpu then everything happens the other way around.

When you say FCPX is slow, what is slow? HEVC exports? How is h.264 exports?

I wasn't sure if the apps were looking for and trying to use a T2 when using iMacPro1,1. But you say that FCPX performance is good with iMacPro1,1, so that tells me that it's correctly using your Radeon VII. But that doesn't expain the erratic behavior of Resolve.

Real iMac19,1s don't have T2, so that both FCPX and Resolve should use IGPU. But you are reporting slow performance from FCPX.

When you say FCPX is slow, what is slow? HEVC exports? How is h.264 exports?

I wasn't sure if the apps were looking for and trying to use a T2 when using iMacPro1,1. But you say that FCPX performance is good with iMacPro1,1, so that tells me that it's correctly using your Radeon VII. But that doesn't expain the erratic behavior of Resolve.

Real iMac19,1s don't have T2, so that both FCPX and Resolve should use IGPU. But you are reporting slow performance from FCPX.

In FCPX multi-camera editing, playback of more than 2 cameras in 4k slows down. When disabling igpu, I can safely mount 4 cameras or more without freezes.

In FCPX multi-camera editing, playback of more than 2 cameras in 4k slows down. When disabling igpu, I can safely mount 4 cameras or more without freezes.

Hmm... I don't know the cause...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back