2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm installing 10.6 from a retain disk using iBoot legacy on the the Asrock G31m-gs r2.0, Core 2 Duo E8400, 2G DDR, ASUS NVIDIA engt240, PATA DVD & Disk. The initial iBoot steps worked fine, and using -x and -v flags I can load freshly installed Snow Leopard disk after booting with the iBoot CD. I can't boot without iBoot Legacy CD; with -v the system hangs after FakeSMC is loaded. I included the jmicron ata kext.

I'm getting the same thing with iBoot legacy on the same board (Asrock G31m-gs r2.0, Core 2 Duo E8400, 2G DDR, ASUS NVIDIA engt240, PATA DVD & Disk) - how did you get past that?

acm1138...

First off welcome

I moved you post to a new post as you will most likely not get a response due to the age of the other posts.

If you are using PATA DVD and HDD we have an issues w that.

Snow Leopard was designed around the SATA interface, and you will need to use these types of devices not PATA.

Leopard or OSX 10.5 was the last version to support PATA and we do not support 10.5 in the forums.

Also you will need to use the RETAIL copy of the OSX Snow Leopard DVD which is white and has a picture of a Snow Cat on it!

If you do a search in Google for your motherboard and the word Hackintosh you should see some links that you can read that may help you.

Check this one out.
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/195004-guide-snow-lepard-retail-on-asrock-g31-m-s-and-gs/

But DO READ and UNDERSTAND the RULES of the TMX86 site. http://www.tonymacx86.com/faq.php

I looked at the insanely mac link, but the megaupload site is gone, so I'd thought I'd try iBoot. I was hoping for a low cost system for the kids to play old PPC games (starcraft I). Would a newer version be easier to get working (giving up PPC)?

I looked at the insanely mac link, but the megaupload site is gone, so I'd thought I'd try iBoot. I was hoping for a low cost system for the kids to play old PPC games (starcraft I). Would a newer version be easier to get working (giving up PPC)?

acm

Ok more information is always good.

If you have software that is specific to PPC hardware then its best to get a mac that is built on the PPC ( IBM PowerPC platform) . As You will need to install Rosetta to run these programs and I am not sure about this on a Hack.

The hardware that would work best for you would be somewhat newer but most of this is no longer in production and it will have to be found on the used market. Auction sites etc. Suggest first generation I series Chipsets w a DSDT file that we have. Video cards are equally important and you need to find one that will work.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/wiki/index.php/Graphics_Card_Database

You will need a Snow Leo or Leopard system for this... a PPC platform is much easier to find in working condition and save yourself a lot of time w other issues ....

I had Snow Leopard on my main machine GA-P55-USB3, now running 10.9.2. the snow leopard stopped working on the graphics update from ASUS NVIDIA engt240 to AMD Radeon HD 6850 1024 MB. It did run Rosetta with no issues. It also worked (but was unplayable) on my two Dell Mini-9's. I see on youtube that some have had success with Lion. I'll try that before I go for new hardware.

I had Snow Leopard on my main machine GA-P55-USB3, now running 10.9.2. the snow leopard stopped working on the graphics update from ASUS NVIDIA engt240 to AMD Radeon HD 6850 1024 MB. It did run Rosetta with no issues. It also worked (but was unplayable) on my two Dell Mini-9's. I see on youtube that some have had success with Lion. I'll try that before I go for new hardware.

Suggest you go for new hardware and install Mavericks for yourself and install Snow Leopard on the P55 and put the Asus 240 back in it. This will allow you to turn the P55 over to the kids for game playing and give you a nice new build for your main machine.

OK, I got it to work. I set the BIOS up according this thread 119235-asrock-g31m-s-2-0-a.html for Mavericks.
I also got a SATA disk, PATA DVD seems OK.

Enable "No-Execute Memory Protection" under Advanced/CPU Configuration
Enable ACPI HPET Table under Advanced/ACPI Configuration
BIOS settings - USB Legacy - BIOS Setup Only

Use a PS/2 keyboard and mouse for booting.

boot with -x

Lnx2Mac's Realtek 81xx Ethernet
VoodooHDA 0.2.72
Native graphics working with acceleration.

Not waking - but good enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back