Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z97 PC Mate
CPU
i5-6600
Graphics
RX 580
Hi all,
Today, I had a SU-SA3004 PCIe expansion card arrive. It's the one with 4 SATA ports to expand my desktop's hard drive capacity.
I have been able to install and boot successfully with it, and the connected drives appear in Windows 10 (so I can verify that it's not DOA, which was my first concern). However, under OS X, nothing seems to work.
This card is based off the ASMedia ASM1061 SATA IDE controller, which I've heard from members of this forum and elsewhere works quite well with OS X - well, is supposed to.
I'm currently running High Sierra, 10.13.6. Inside Hackintool I can see that the expansion card is definitely detected, but for some reason refuses to detect or mount the attached drives.
Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 12.33.29 pm.png

In my efforts to get this card to work, I have installed a couple of kexts - those being AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext as well as AHCIPortInjector.kext, which don't seem to have had any effect either.
The card itself features a switch to toggle between a couple of modes - AHCI, Data and IDE. If I select either AHCI or IDE, MacOS fails to boot (the point it reaches is that the verbose boot will spit out all of its data and appear to have not run into any errors, then the screen will go black as if it's about to show the login screen, then it just hangs there). If I select DATA it will boot however the card not being detected or functioning persists.

I have not made any patches to the DSDT or SSDT or anything like that (I have heard some people make changes to these files to get some things to function properly). Funnily enough, I also have a PCI USB expansion card (same vendor, ASM1142 host controller) to add further USB ports to my computer, and it worked from the get-go.

Other specs in case they're relevant:
Radeon RX 580 graphics card
Intel i5 6600 (Skylake)
MSI z97A PC Mate motherboard

Thanks for checking out my thread and for any help you guys can offer.

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    155 KB · Views: 80
Hi all,
Today, I had a SU-SA3004 PCIe expansion card arrive. It's the one with 4 SATA ports to expand my desktop's hard drive capacity.
I have been able to install and boot successfully with it, and the connected drives appear in Windows 10 (so I can verify that it's not DOA, which was my first concern). However, under OS X, nothing seems to work.
This card is based off the ASMedia ASM1061 SATA IDE controller, which I've heard from members of this forum and elsewhere works quite well with OS X - well, is supposed to.
I'm currently running High Sierra, 10.13.6. Inside Hackintool I can see that the expansion card is definitely detected, but for some reason refuses to detect or mount the attached drives.
View attachment 419625
In my efforts to get this card to work, I have installed a couple of kexts - those being AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext as well as AHCIPortInjector.kext, which don't seem to have had any effect either.
The card itself features a switch to toggle between a couple of modes - AHCI, Data and IDE. If I select either AHCI or IDE, MacOS fails to boot (the point it reaches is that the verbose boot will spit out all of its data and appear to have not run into any errors, then the screen will go black as if it's about to show the login screen, then it just hangs there). If I select DATA it will boot however the card not being detected or functioning persists.

I have not made any patches to the DSDT or SSDT or anything like that (I have heard some people make changes to these files to get some things to function properly). Funnily enough, I also have a PCI USB expansion card (same vendor, ASM1142 host controller) to add further USB ports to my computer, and it worked from the get-go.

Other specs in case they're relevant:
Radeon RX 580 graphics card
Intel i5 6600 (Skylake)
MSI z97A PC Mate motherboard

Thanks for checking out my thread and for any help you guys can offer.
Sorry about resurrecting a dead thread here but I thought someone out there might find it useful to know that this card works out of box for both Mojave and Catalina. There is a switch on the card itself that allows the card to support IDE boot drives or AHCI boot drives or "No boot" for data only drives. Since the drive that I connected to this card was a NTFS formatted data only drive, I initially set this switch to the "No boot" position. Windows and Ubuntu both saw the drive and loaded the correct drivers but Mojave and Catalina could not see the drive. I reset the card's switch to the AHCI position and retried Windows (7 and 10), Ubuntu (16.04 and 18.04), Mojave and Catalina. All six operating systems I tested worked out of box as long as the switch on this PCIe card is set for AHCI.

Sorry about resurrecting a dead thread here but I thought someone out there might find it useful to know that this card works out of box for both Mojave and Catalina. There is a switch on the card itself that allows the card to support IDE boot drives or AHCI boot drives or "No boot" for data only drives. Since the drive that I connected to this card was a NTFS formatted data only drive, I initially set this switch to the "No boot" position. Windows and Ubuntu both saw the drive and loaded the correct drivers but Mojave and Catalina could not see the drive. I reset the card's switch to the AHCI position and retried Windows (7 and 10), Ubuntu (16.04 and 18.04), Mojave and Catalina. All six operating systems I tested worked out of box as long as the switch on this PCIe card is set for AHCI.
Hi, any experience with Big Sur? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back