CPU
Ryzen 5 2600
Graphics
Rx 590
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone, I'm new on here and I'm looking for some advices on an incoming mackintosh build.

The thing is want to build a dual boot Windows 10 / MacOS Catalina (or BigSure eventually) on two separate SSD and Windows is intended mainly for gaming and MacOS for my university work.
I already have a MacBook Pro for university but I would like to get more power for some tasks that my MacBook Pro is struggling with.

So I have a little experience in building a PC but not in Hackintoshing. I would like to get some advices on the hardware to buy to match my last config in terms of computing power because I was pretty happy with it. But since it was an AMD build and I know Hackintoshing with a Ryzen can be tricky I am willing to go with Intel.

Here is the config I'm talking about :

- CPU : Ryzen 5 2600
- GPU : Sapphire RX 590
- RAM : GSkill RipjawsV (2x8)Go ddr4 3200mhz CL16
- Case : Q300L CoolerMaster
- Motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H
- Power Supply : Corsaire VS550 550w
- SSD : Kingstone A400 480Go

The few things that I wanna change here are the SSD, the case and obviously the Motherboard and CPU for compatibility reasons. I also want to keep a middle size case since I don't have much space for it.

So I have a budget of about 900-1000€, what would you recommend to buy to match (or outperform) these perks with intel CPU and all the compatible hardware ? Do you have any buying recommandations especially for the motherboard, cpu and case ? Do you have any other advices for me ?

I already read some threads here and I will probably go for some Samsung SSD nvme's if I can afford them.

Thanks in advance for your time

Hi everyone, I'm new on here and I'm looking for some advices on an incoming mackintosh build.

The thing is want to build a dual boot Windows 10 / MacOS Catalina (or BigSure eventually) on two separate SSD and Windows is intended mainly for gaming and MacOS for my university work. I already have a MacBook Pro for university but I would like to get more power for some tasks that my MacBook Pro is struggling with.

So I have a little experience in building a PC but not in Hackintoshing. I would like to get some advices on the hardware to buy to match my last config in terms of computing power because I was pretty happy with it. But since it was an AMD build and I know Hackintoshing with a Ryzen can be tricky I am willing to go with Intel.

Here is the config I'm talking about :

- CPU : Ryzen 5 2600
- GPU : Sapphire RX 590
- RAM : GSkill RipjawsV (2x8)Go ddr4 3200mhz CL16
- Case : Q300L CoolerMaster
- Motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H
- Power Supply : Corsaire VS550 550w
- SSD : Kingstone A400 480Go

The few things that I wanna change here are the SSD, the case and obviously the Motherboard and CPU for compatibility reasons. I also want to keep a middle size case since I don't have much space for it.

So I have a budget of about 900-1000€, what would you recommend to buy to match (or outperform) these perks with intel CPU and all the compatible hardware ? Do you have any buying recommandations especially for the motherboard, cpu and case ? Do you have any other advices for me ?

I already read some threads here and I will probably go for some Samsung SSD nvme's if I can afford them.

Thanks in advance for your time
You are yourself aware that running MacOS on an AMD Ryzen system can be "tricky". To be precise, do you need to run Adobe applications on MacOS? If you do, then I strongly recommend a compatible Intel system since Adobe MacOS applications are known to have problems on AMD Ryzen systems.

Thanks for your reply !
I'm using photoshop occasionally but I don't use any other Adobe applications so It will not be a problem for me if it doesn't work, I still have the MBP for Photoshop if I really need it

Thanks for your reply !
I'm using photoshop occasionally but I don't use any other Adobe applications so It will not be a problem for me if it doesn't work, I still have the MBP for Photoshop if I really need it
One more thing : Do you use virtualization software like VMware Fusion on MacOS?

If you do you should not use AMD systems since these virtualization softwares may require Intel specific CPU features which are not available on Ryzen.

I do not use that.
So do you think I can install MacOS on this config directly ? without having to buy intel hardware ?

I do not use that.
So do you think I can install MacOS on this config directly ? without having to buy intel hardware ?
In that case, yes, I believe your system is compatible with MacOS Catalina and Big Sur with OpenCore (or perhaps Clover 5124 and later) as bootloader. You can't use the tools (such as Unibeast) here yet since they are not compatible with AMD systems.

But remember, as Apple does not use AMD Ryzen CPUs in its Macs (and with the impending transition to Apple Silicon it won't ever) it is possible you may encounter other problems or incompatibilities running other MacOS softwares on an AMD Ryzen system. If you want to use MacOS for work I think it is better to get a compatible Intel system.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back