Contribute
Register

Ask Rehabman Questions on OS-X-Fake-PCI-ID

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a BCM4352 and I don't know which variant it is. But I do know its vendor (14E4), device (43B1), sub_ven (106B), sub_dev (062E). I wanted to use FakePCIID_BCM94352Z_as_BCM94360CS2.kext to enable it instead of manually patching the kexts which worked fine but without 5GHz.

You can use it to enable AirPort Extreme. You'll still need the 5Ghz patch. Best to use Clover and config.plist hotpatch.

You can use it to enable AirPort Extreme. You'll still need the 5Ghz patch. Best to use Clover and config.plist hotpatch.

Thanks but this method is not update-safe I guess right? I remember the 5GHz patch I use changed with the release of 10.10.2. So I will still need to hunt for new patches upon every update?

Edit:
I'm not even sure what Clover Hotpatch is? would you kindly enlighten me on this?

Edit:
Never mind. I assume Hotpatch is another name to on-the-fly patching and basically is patching Kexts in cache with Clover.

Thanks but this method is not update-safe I guess right? I remember the 5GHz patch I use changed with the release of 10.10.2. So I will still need to hunt for new patches upon every update?

The required patch could change each release.

Edit:
I'm not even sure what Clover Hotpatch is? would you kindly enlighten me on this?

KextsToPatch in config.plist.

The required patch could change each release.
KextsToPatch in config.plist.

Okay done, I set the patch and have 5GHz now. I hope Toleda keeps his guide up-to-date so we all can find the patches in one place. Thanks for your work btw!

I have got a AR9485 rebranded as ar9280. How should i modify [FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Segoe UI, Arial, freesans, sans-serif]FakePCIID_AR9280_as_AR946x.kext to remap AR9485 to AR9280 ? [/FONT]

I have got a AR9485 rebranded as ar9280.

There is no point in rebranding an AR9485 as AR9280. AR9485 is not supported. And if your laptop whitelist accepts AR9280, just install an AR9280.

I assume you mean AR9280 rebranded as AR9485. An AR9280 rebranded as AR9485 can use FakePCIID.

How should i modify [FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Segoe UI, Arial, freesans, sans-serif]FakePCIID_AR9280_as_AR946x.kext to remap AR9485 to AR9280 ? [/FONT]

Native device-id is for AR946x is 168c:0034. You will see it in the two IOKitPersonality entries. (0x0034168c and pci168c,34)).

Change them to the ID of your rebranded AR9280.

OK, I notice that this topic is technically in the Yosemite laptop section, but I am guessing it's a bit more widespread than that. I have a couple of machines with yet another variant of the BCM5xxx ethernet adapter. The one I'm currently trying to get to work is the BCM5906M, 14e4:1713. There are some third
party drivers that do work for this (the Adlan BCM 5722D and there is also one specifically for the BCM5906M). Both of those work OK in 10.6.3 but I'm having issues getting them to work as well in 10.6.8
(doing netboot—seems to be OK booting from a disk), so I'd like to use the BCM57xx injector. I modified the Info.plist in the injector to add the pci id (to both places). Unlike the AR injector in the previous post, it looks like there is only name matching. When I try to load the FakePCIID and the injector, the AppleBCM5701 kext loads, but complains that the 1713 is an unknown device. I seem to have read that most other people that have used the AppleBCM5701 driver BEFORE FakePCIID had to modify not just the info.plist but the executable binary as well as there were various checks within the driver itself. This would make sense with what I am seeing, but what I read here about that injector says it should work with the vanilla Apple kext (no binary patches). Is there perhaps an OS version minimum or something I'm not aware of? Again, I am noticing this is the Yosemite forum, but your page on GitHub says you were building with/for 10.6 anyway. Thanks!

OK, I notice that this topic is technically in the Yosemite laptop section, but I am guessing it's a bit more widespread than that. I have a couple of machines with yet another variant of the BCM5xxx ethernet adapter. The one I'm currently trying to get to work is the BCM5906M, 14e4:1713. There are some third
party drivers that do work for this (the Adlan BCM 5722D and there is also one specifically for the BCM5906M). Both of those work OK in 10.6.3 but I'm having issues getting them to work as well in 10.6.8
(doing netboot—seems to be OK booting from a disk), so I'd like to use the BCM57xx injector. I modified the Info.plist in the injector to add the pci id (to both places). Unlike the AR injector in the previous post, it looks like there is only name matching. When I try to load the FakePCIID and the injector, the AppleBCM5701 kext loads, but complains that the 1713 is an unknown device. I seem to have read that most other people that have used the AppleBCM5701 driver BEFORE FakePCIID had to modify not just the info.plist but the executable binary as well as there were various checks within the driver itself. This would make sense with what I am seeing, but what I read here about that injector says it should work with the vanilla Apple kext (no binary patches). Is there perhaps an OS version minimum or something I'm not aware of? Again, I am noticing this is the Yosemite forum, but your page on GitHub says you were building with/for 10.6 anyway. Thanks!

Post your modified injector.

Here it is:

View attachment 151530

Note that I have also added 14e4:1673 as well as 14e4:1713 as that is for the other machine I want to eventually deal with as well, but I figure if I can get one working I should be able to get the other. Thanks again for the help!-kby

What you did there looks ok. Make sure you install it to /S/L/E, repair permissions & rebuild caches.

Make sure FakePCIID.kext is also installed. The injector does not work without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back