Contribute
Register

Are there any DDR3 compatible Intel NUC-style kits still available anywhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asrock Z77 Pro3
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys. I'd like to have a system just for hackintosh testing and play around, but I'd like to do it on the cheap. I'm hoping to find a kit with a board that takes DDR3 RAM, of which I have in a currently running system that I'd borrow from, unless full height RAM won't work in such a small form factor case? I also have a spare SSD I could use for this purpose. Is anyone selling such a system? If asking any of this is against forum rules please tell me and/or delete this thread.

EDIT: I found this listing on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/172351059750?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l5999&_trkparms=gh1g=I172351059750.N36.S2.R1.TR1

Thanks in advance,
Shiggitay

Last edited:
Hey guys. I'd like to have a system just for hackintosh testing and play around, but I'd like to do it on the cheap. I'm hoping to find a kit with a board that takes DDR3 RAM, of which I have in a currently running system that I'd borrow from, unless full height RAM won't work in such a small form factor case? I also have a spare SSD I could use for this purpose. Is anyone selling such a system? If asking any of this is against forum rules please tell me and/or delete this thread.

EDIT: I found this listing on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/172351059750?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l5999&_trkparms=gh1g=I172351059750.N36.S2.R1.TR1

Thanks in advance,
Shiggitay
Those NUC computers take only 1.35v SO-Dimms which are DDR3 laptop memory. 240 Pin DDR3 desktop ram will not work. Unless you have a laptop with 1.35V ram you could reuse it won't be possible. Best to buy a new kit of ram anyway. There should still be many Haswell NUCs available on Amazon.com and Ebay at lower than retail prices since they are close to EOL status.

Those NUC computers take only 1.35v SO-Dimms which are DDR3 laptop memory. 240 Pin DDR3 desktop ram will not work. Unless you have a laptop with 1.35V ram you could reuse it won't be possible. Best to buy a new kit of ram anyway. There should still be many Haswell NUCs available on Amazon.com and Ebay at lower than retail prices since they are close to EOL status.

Yeah I'm just about to pull the trigger and go and grab my kit from a local retailer. Thanks. :)

If you want a project... Pi Raspberry 2. :D Everyone's holding their breath to see if Apple goes with ARM over Intel chips. And if they do I won't be buying one since I was already burned with PPC and the 32 bit Intel boxes.

If you want a project... Pi Raspberry 2. :D Everyone's holding their breath to see if Apple goes with ARM over Intel chips. And if they do I won't be buying one since I was already burned with PPC and the 32 bit Intel boxes.

My brother got a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B actually... he got it for retro gaming basically. The Raspberry Pi 2 is old :p. And I wanted something to replace my fullsize HTPC (Home Theater PC) and to save on my electricity bill, thus enter the Broadwell i7 Intel NUC.

I used a Pi 2 and later a Pi 3 with OpenELEC to play media from my NAS for a long time. Hard to beat ARM processors for power efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back