Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z370-A Pro
CPU
Intel i5-9600k OC 4.7GHz
Graphics
GTX 1070ti
I've been some research on the AMD GPUs versus the ones NVIDIA can offer, and I see way more value for money from NVIDIA. This makes me wonder if I really want to have macOS at all. It seems to me that the AMD cards are they way to go for long term viability with macOS, but it really makes me doubt this whole project when the AMD cards appear to suck. Maybe getting used to Windows 10 wont be that bad... Any thoughts on this?

Is it too much of a hassle to buy per say a GTX 1080 Ti and install Mojave on it? Are there even drivers out for newer NVIDIA cards?

I've been some research on the AMD GPUs versus the ones NVIDIA can offer, and I see way more value for money from NVIDIA. This makes me wonder if I really want to have macOS at all. It seems to me that the AMD cards are the way to go for long term viability with macOS, but it really makes me doubt this whole project when the AMD cards appear to suck. Maybe getting used to Windows 10 wont be that bad... Any thoughts on this?

Is it too much of a hassle to buy per say a GTX 1080 Ti and install Mojave on it? Are there even drivers out for newer NVIDIA cards?

Nvidia has not released web drivers for Mojave, so you won't be able to use a recent Nvidia GPU like 1080 Ti fully in Mojave. You can still use it under Sierra and High Sierra.

All indications point to the conjecture that Nvidia does not yet have such a driver ready and it may take months for them to release it for Mojave, like the previous situation on the 10 series cards when it took Nvidia 10 months from the release of the first card (June 2016) to the release of first MacOS web drivers (April 2017).

Personally I think Windows 10 is no good at all, due to its twice-a-year "feature updates" which offer little or no useful features, and forced automatic updates which cause instability.

It is true that AMD cannot compete with Nvidia in the high performance graphics cards now, but personally I think its cards work well, and I don't think they "suck". I am happy using my RX 580 in my system. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Are NVIDIAs GPUs still viable in 2018?

Of course, it may take sometime for the drivers to be released though.

Curious/\/\ac

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it takes NVIDIA more than a year to develop new drivers.

Meanwhile, there's nothing really wrong with staying on High Sierra. You'll still be receiving security patches for a fair while and most problems are pretty well 'known' in HS from a Hackintosh point of view, so it'll be easier to maintain than living on the bleeding edge releases of Mojave.

Depending on how Navi performs, I may just end up selling my 1080Ti and migrating to AMD. I don't game anywhere near as much as I used to, plus AMD GPU performance in the Adobe apps I use is decent enough now.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it takes NVIDIA more than a year to develop new drivers.

Meanwhile, there's nothing really wrong with staying on High Sierra. You'll still be receiving security patches for a fair while and most problems are pretty well 'known' in HS from a Hackintosh point of view, so it'll be easier to maintain than living on the bleeding edge releases of Mojave.

Depending on how Navi performs, I may just end up selling my 1080Ti and migrating to AMD. I don't game anywhere near as much as I used to, plus AMD GPU performance in the Adobe apps I use is decent enough now.

I don't think it will take them a year to make the drivers, maybe they will release drivers when Mojave hits 10.14.3 (Stable build).

I have been tinkering with the old drivers, maybe I can rebuild them :crazy:. I have a GTX 680 in my Rampage V Edition 10 as it supports Kepler natively. I need my 1080ti Power back :lol:

I am using 10.14.1 at the moment as .2 is currently in beta phases.

Curious/\/\ac

I am thinking of buying a GTX 2080 as the prices are comparable to GTX 1080 Ti currently.
Would this one work in High Sierra?

I am thinking of buying a GTX 2080 as the prices are comparable to GTX 1080 Ti currently.
No, not at this moment. You must wait for the nvidia webdrivers and Turing card support, which would expectedly support Mojave only. With my 1080Ti I'm also stuck with HS.

Last edited:
Please update your profile page with your build specs.

The Rules said:
Profiles are mandatory so that others can assist you. They are only for listing components and details of your primary system you are seeking assistance for or your latest system. Since they are viewable under you avatar they need to kept as small as possible.
------------------------------------

Let's get into the GTX 2080 and GTX 1080 TI, If you are going to utilise the ray tracing in the GTX 2080 then sure. The GTX 2080 is for you but if you looking for performance and for gaming (Slightly faster and cheaper than GTX 2080) then i would suggest the GTX 1080 TI (in my opinion).

It does not really matter about the price as those cards definitely operate differently, you have to ask yourself:
  1. What are you going to use the card for ?
  2. Which card would suit question 1's answer ?
  3. Do research to see if someone already built what you are looking for, ask them for benchmarks etc.
  4. Once you gather the information, thats when you can finally say which card is better for you needs.
Depending on your budget and if you are looking to buy the GTX 2080. I would advise you to make sure you get the card to suit your work and not just because it's Nvidia's latest card.

The latest is not always the greatest.

Curious/\/\ac

The latest is not always the greatest.

In the case of the RTX series, that's definitely true. You'd get better all-round performance out of a 1080Ti anyway.

I'd only see the point in jumping on the RTX train after a year or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back