Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Are Multiple HD Icons in Clover Absolutely Necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have 2 SSDs. But in APFS, Clover displays eight: each SSD is shown as three internals plus Recovery HD. I know what they are, but do I have to look at all those even though I don't use 6 of them? HFS+ could be set up with only two showing.

2 Many Icons.jpg

Last edited:
I have 2 SSDs. But in APFS, Clover displays eight: each SSD is shown as three internals plus Recovery HD. I know what they are, but do I have to look at all those even though I don't use 6 of them? HFS+ could be set up with only two showing.

@wstrohm,

You can hide most volumes you don't want to see in clover by adding the volume prefix to your config.plist.
For example to hide all the Preboot volumes just add "Preboot" :-

Code:
    <key>GUI</key>
    <dict>
     <key>Hide</key>
        <array>
            <string>Preboot</string>
        </array>
    </dict>

Or in Clover Configurator :-

Screenshot 2019-08-18 at 19.37.13.png

If you have a lot of legacy volumes (eg: Windows, Linux) you can add the volumes UUID to the "Custom Legacy" list and check the hidden column (you also need to set a title) as in the above example from my laptop.

You can toggle the hidden volumes in the Clover boot menu by hitting F3 (EG when installing an update)

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Thanks very much! Your solution worked fine; I got rid of Preboot and Recovery volumes. Now Clover shows only my two SSDs. (Recovery is no good anyway, since apparently there is no graphics driver on that partition that will run my AMD Radeon RX 580 Nitro+, so the screen is black after booting from that volume.)

Recovery is no good anyway, since apparently there is no graphics driver on that partition that will run my AMD Radeon RX 580 Nitro+, so the screen is black after booting from that volume.

@wstrohm,

Recovery should work fine with RX 580, try adding Lilu + WhatEverGreen to /EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other.
Don't forget you'll need to press F3 in Clover to show the hidden entries.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Recovery should work fine with RX 580, try adding Lilu + WhatEverGreen to /EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other.

Will that then be usable by Recovery because it will be in the EFI partition, in addition to my /Library/Extensions? That's still a different partition than the Recovery partition... I don't get it. If the Recovery partition can "see across" to kexts on the EFI partition, why can't it "see across" to the SSD partition?

Will that then be usable by Recovery because it will be in the EFI partition, in addition to my /Library/Extensions? That's still a different partition than the Recovery partition...

@wstrohm,

Yes, MacOS will LOAD kexts from /L/E ....
Recovery, Updater & Installer will use INJECTED kexts from /EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other

See the Kext guide for full explanation :-

Cheers
Jay

Thank you; your kext guide is excellent; I had not seen it before. Will do that now.

[Edit: Yep, putting Lilu and WhatEverGreen in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other worked fine. I can now open Recovery and have a working display. Thanks again!]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back