Contribute
Register

Are GPU drivers the problem? Catalina vs Resolve 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
working now on 2x 5700XT and GPUs usage almost full in playbacking with Arri alexa Footage
The newer RX 6800 XT is the best choice for resolve but it requires that you use Big Sur 11.5+.

The red bars represent the 6800XT and blue the 5700XT

Screen Shot 22.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the lowest price new RX 6800XT is by Power Color and it's sold on Amazon. For Pro video editing it's the best bang for your buck these days when an old RX 580 sells for around $600 to $700 :crazy:

Most importantly you want to buy direct from Amazon rather than a 3rd party seller.
It should say Ships from and Sold by Amazon.com.

Screen_Shot_21.jpg

Apple charges over $1000 more but you do get 32 GB of Vram.
Screen Shot 22.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the lowest price new RX 6800XT is by Power Color and it's sold on Amazon. For Pro video editing it's the best bang for your buck these days when an old RX 580 sells for around $600 to $700
Thanks! I am looking to upgrade tbh. I'll look into one.

/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder:
  1. You need to add SSDT-USBX.aml to your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder, for USB power. Neither the SSDT-EC.aml or SSDT-USBW.aml you are using contain a USB power option.
  2. You might want to swap the SSDT-EC.aml you are currently using for the SSDT-EC-USBX.aml that is attached in the CFL-SSDTs.zip folder below.
  3. Not sure you need the SSDT-NVRAM.aml.
  4. You should be using SSDT-AWAC.aml, SSDT-PLUG.aml and SSDT-PMC.aml with your Coffee Lake system. These three SSDT's can be found in the attached zipped folder below.
/CLOVER/Drivers/UEFI folder:
  1. You don't need OcQuirks.plist in this folder, it does nothing when present in this folder.
  2. You don't need UsbKbDxe.efi or UsbMouseDxe.efi either.
/CLOVER/kexts folder:
  1. You don't need the 'Off' folder, it can be deleted.
  2. Your Other folder contains two Ethernet kexts IntelMausi.kext and SmallTreeIntel82576.kext. Your motherboard only has one Ethernet port, so one of the two kext is not required, probably the SmallTree kext.
  3. If your SSDT-UIAC.aml is set correctly for your system you probably don't need the USBWakeFixup.kext.
  4. The Essential kexts in this folder are older versions, there are newer versions of Lilu, AppleALC, WhateverGreen and VirtualSMC, plus the two SMC plugin kexts. These can all do with being updated.
  5. I would used Hackintool > Extensions tool to download the latest version of these kext, which are attached in the Kexts.zip below. It is the easiest way to get the latest versions, without having to manually search for the individual kexts.
/CLOVER/themes folder:
  1. You might want to look at using a custom Clover boot theme, something like Catalina looks good, copy attached, add the Folder to the themes folder and add the name Catalina to the config in the GUI > Theme section.
Your config.plist lacks a number of common patches, fixes and settings I would expect to see in a 'mature' Coffee Lake setup running macOS Catalina.

The OcQuirks.plist contains a list of the quirks you should enable in your config.plist so the OcQuirks.efi driver works correctly. These OpenCore Quirks have not been enabled in your config.plist.
Thanks, I'm in the middle of a big project. But I'll look into all of these next week. From there, I think I will be converting my EFI folder into OC and upgrading to Big Sur so I can upgrade to this recommended new GPU. I have a spare SSD so I'm just gonna slowly work towards a fresh working system drive in my spare time.

i'm using studio 17.3 and all projects from many years ago till today are working fine without problems.
are you new to Resolve ?
once you update to new version, all project database also update followed by the new version and cannot roll back, you must backup entire database folder before update. the only way rollback is you shoul export XML/EDL from all working project, then rollback the Resolve to old version, then create new project > load XML for every project, but XML just for editing solving, to solve the color grading node, you must export the snapshot of every single shot.
btw for me, the RX580 is too weak for resolve use, i've switch from 1080ti in MacOS 10.13 to 10.14 with 3x Rx580 and performance is f*cking bad, working now on 2x 5700XT and GPUs usage almost full in playbacking with Arri alexa Footage
no, I've been on Resolve for years. and I always backup everything before updating. I've already rolled back to 16.3 so I can get on with work while I solve this issue on a cloned drive.

/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder:
  1. You need to add SSDT-USBX.aml to your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder, for USB power. Neither the SSDT-EC.aml or SSDT-USBW.aml you are using contain a USB power option.
  2. You might want to swap the SSDT-EC.aml you are currently using for the SSDT-EC-USBX.aml that is attached in the CFL-SSDTs.zip folder below.
  3. Not sure you need the SSDT-NVRAM.aml.
  4. You should be using SSDT-AWAC.aml, SSDT-PLUG.aml and SSDT-PMC.aml with your Coffee Lake system. These three SSDT's can be found in the attached zipped folder below.
/CLOVER/Drivers/UEFI folder:
  1. You don't need OcQuirks.plist in this folder, it does nothing when present in this folder.
  2. You don't need UsbKbDxe.efi or UsbMouseDxe.efi either.
/CLOVER/kexts folder:
  1. You don't need the 'Off' folder, it can be deleted.
  2. Your Other folder contains two Ethernet kexts IntelMausi.kext and SmallTreeIntel82576.kext. Your motherboard only has one Ethernet port, so one of the two kext is not required, probably the SmallTree kext.
  3. If your SSDT-UIAC.aml is set correctly for your system you probably don't need the USBWakeFixup.kext.
  4. The Essential kexts in this folder are older versions, there are newer versions of Lilu, AppleALC, WhateverGreen and VirtualSMC, plus the two SMC plugin kexts. These can all do with being updated.
  5. I would used Hackintool > Extensions tool to download the latest version of these kext, which are attached in the Kexts.zip below. It is the easiest way to get the latest versions, without having to manually search for the individual kexts.
/CLOVER/themes folder:
  1. You might want to look at using a custom Clover boot theme, something like Catalina looks good, copy attached, add the Folder to the themes folder and add the name Catalina to the config in the GUI > Theme section.
Your config.plist lacks a number of common patches, fixes and settings I would expect to see in a 'mature' Coffee Lake setup running macOS Catalina.

The OcQuirks.plist contains a list of the quirks you should enable in your config.plist so the OcQuirks.efi driver works correctly. These OpenCore Quirks have not been enabled in your config.plist.

Hi again. I have finally found some time to sort this out. So far I have done the following:
Booting from my cloned “test” USB drive is slow startup once the OS is booted and opening of Chrome (and the finder at times as well). I rebooted after each change in case something went wrong, I could tell what it was.
  • Replace SSDT-EC.aml with SSDT-EC-USBX.aml
  • Chrome and others still very slow to startup
  • Removed SSDT-NVRAM.aml.
  • SSDT-PLUG.aml was not in that folder you sent me, but I found it elsewhere.
  • Installed SSDT-AWAC.aml, SSDT-PLUG.aml and SSDT-PMC.aml
  • Chrome a little faster to startup, but still slow.
  • OcQuirks.plist & UsbKbDxe.efi & UsbMouseDxe.efi deleted
  • WOW, started up super fast after this change. Is it possible that those things were slowing down my startup?
  • Deleted SmallTreeIntel82576.kext from kexts/other
  • Deleted USBWakeFixup.kext
  • Updated all the kexts with Hackintool as instructed
  • Added the Catalina theme

My questions so far are:
  • So do I need SSDT-USBW at all? or should i get rid of it?
  • Is the version of SSDT-PLUG.aml that I found going to be ok? (from Pastrychef’s Z390 opencore build)
  • Just to confirm: was SmallTreeIntel82576.kext the one I SHOULD delete? Keeping IntelMausi.kext. Ethernet seems to be running fine currently with only SmallTree.
  • I don’t have SSDT-UIAC.aml, but are you just referring to the custom SSDT that I made for my board and USB configuration?
  • I’ve always had some small annoying issues with USB ports running slow at random. Could this have been because of all the unnecessary patches and kexts?
  • I cannot complete your last suggestion:

Are you referring to the .plist that was in my UEFI folder? I opened this and I can see tonnes of Quirks listed, but I am not sure exactly which ones are meant to be turned on.
Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 3.57.00 PM.png

I understand that I must load and edit my own config.plist but I don't know which Quirks need to be enabled.

I plan to upgrade to Open Core and Big Sur after getting my system in order. I really need to solve the initial issue I created this post for. Getting Resolve working properly. I'm hoping that will do the trick.

Thanks for all your help so far.

The Quirks that need to be enabled are listed in the OCQuirks.plist document have True as the Value. As shown in the screenshot below.

Screenshot 2021-09-12 at 22.12.41.png OCQuirks.plist viewed in ProperTree plist editor

This translates in Clover Configurator as follows:
Screenshot 2021-09-12 at 22.14.15.png
Quirks from Plist are enabled in Clover configurator, where they are present. ProvideConsoleGopEnable is not present in the latest version of Clover Configurator.

So it needs to be added manually using Clover Configurator's Text Mode.

Screenshot 2021-09-12 at 22.18.30.png

Just remember to Synchronize the file before you close Clover Configurator.

Perfect. Thank you. That's all done now and seems to be working fine on my test drive. I'm going to do a fresh install of Big Sur on another test drive using this working EFI folder. I don't have the time to research and upgrade to Open Core. But it this something you would recommend in the future? Or would you recommend updating to OpenCore with this fresh install to save the hassle? I can find plenty of advice on swithching from clover to opencore, but nothing about taking the working clover EFI that I have for my system and then applying that to a fresh Big Sur install using open core.

Yes, for the future you should look at switching to OpenCore from Clover. If you plan to install macOS Monterey when it is released in October/November this year you will probably need to be running OpenCore.

Whether you switch now or in the future is down to you. How much time do you have available to spend learning and building an OpenCore Coffee Lake EFI for you system? You have the basis of the OC folders contents in your current Clover setup. What you will probably find intimidating is the way you need to start with a sample config.plist and make it fit your specific system. This is understandable and not uncommon. The Dortania guides walk you through this process, plus there is a really good Clover to OpenCore conversion guide on GitHub - https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Install-Guide/tree/master/clover-conversion

You should understand that the guides over at Dortania only cover the basics, to get you up and running with OC & macOS. There are a lot more options and features required, that need to be added to the OC folder, if you want your Hack running smoothly.

The reason there is a lack of information about using Clover with Big Sur is mainly due to OpenCore being a more rounded bootloader, which works better (in my opinion), with the newer versions of macOS. This while it is still in Beta mode.

Getting Clover to boot Big Sur required a fudge of the OpenCore setup, as Clover can't boot Big Sur on its own.

The Clover developers incorporated a number of OpenCore aspects within the last few releases of Clover. This did not go well when first attempted, so there was a rush for people to start using OpenCore last year. This coincided with the release of Clover_r5123/r5126, these releases were a complete dogs ear when it came to working with macOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back