MacBook Pro
CPU
i7
Graphics
Nvidia GT 330M
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi Forum,

I have a Zotac H77ITX-A-E with i5 3570 CPU. Running 10.8.2. This MB come with a wifi-bluetooth combo mini-PCIe card. It's AR9285.

I use following DSDT to made it work.

Code:
                    Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        Store (Package (0x0C)
                            {
                                "AAPL,slot-name", 
                                Buffer (0x08)
                                {
                                    "AirPort"
                                }, 
                                "device-id", 
                                Unicode ("*"), 
                                "device_type", 
                                Buffer (0x08)
                                {
                                    "AirPort"
                                }, 
                                "model", 
                                Buffer (0x35)
                                {
                                    "Atheros 928x 802.11 a/b/g/n Wireless Network Adapter"
                                }, 
                                "subsystem-id", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                     0x8F, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 
                                "subsystem-vendor-id", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                     0x6B, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00
                                }
                            }, Local0)
                        DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                        Return (Local0)
                    }
                }

However, it can only get 65M transmit rate. The machine is pretty close to my router, and my MacBook Pro can get 144M transmit rate.

The router using channel 5 (no conflict), G/N Mix mode WPA2-AES encryption. Is this normal? How can I increase it to 144M?

Thanks,

Noodle

However, it can only get 65M transmit rate. The machine is pretty close to my router, and my MacBook Pro can get 144M transmit rate.
The 9285 supports one data stream (150 mbps). MacBookPros support 2 streams (300 mbps) and now 3 steams (450 mbps).

I understand that, but isn't it 150mbps instead of 65M?

The 9285 supports one data stream (150 mbps). MacBookPros support 2 streams (300 mbps) and now 3 steams (450 mbps).

Not so sure, because my MBP connect to same router, and I can get 300M on 5G, 144M on 2.4G. On my mac mini, even link speed shows 65M. MCS Index stay @ 7. Probably I need to reconnect antenna? I will check it tonight.

Router problem.

Just want report back:

H77ITX-A-E On board wifi card support single stream and bluetooth, but bluetooth is not working properly (need to upload firmware during startup, magic mouse multi-finger operation freeze OSX and so on), and I can only get maximum 65M from it because of single stream.

I bought a Dell DW1515 from ebay to replace it, and I'm getting 300M on 5G now, still 144M on 2.4G even using 40MHz, don't know why. And using a DLink DBT-120 USB bluetooth adapter. So everything working great now.

Thanks

Noodle

Hi toleda,

As you said it's router problem, I think I found something may indicate it's OSX issue probably.

What interesting is: I have a MacBook Pro (15" Mid 2010). And as I mentioned, On HacMini I replaced wifi card with AR9280. Both have same behavior: 5G can reach 300M and 2.4G can reach 144M or 130M only. I raised the question in Tomato forum as I'm using E3000 with Tomato firmware. And somebody pointed out that Apple may decide to support 20Mhz only on 2.4G. So I tested AR9280 on a Ubuntu installation, and I was able to get 300M on both 2.4G and 5G.

So looks like I'm getting 65M on AR9285 (which is 2.4G only) and 140M on AR9280 (2.4G) was caused by OSX?

I'm wandering if any one getting 300M on 2.4G on any 2x2 MIMO wifi card? If so, which one? which version of OSX?

Thanks

Noodle

Router problem.

Hi Noodle,

My AR9285 connets also only at 65Mbps, both in Windows & MacOSx. So I don't think it is just APPLE's restriction.

Googled a lot , found people may saying 11N band width setting matters. while if the router only sending in 20MHz, you will only get half the speed, if both 20MHz/40MHz, you will get double the speed. so 65Mbps *2 = 130Mbps.

A hypothesis, not confirmed.

reference:
http://carlupq.wordpress.com/2011/1...50mbps-to-asus-rt-n56u-wi-fi-router-solution/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back