Contribute
Register

AppleIntelE1000e Hardware Hang - Ethernet port non-responsive until reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for posting! I replied in other threads that I suspected apples version of SMB was the issue and accessing my server via cifs://server instead of smb://server almost solved these issues for me (most of my network crashes happened during accessing my nas4free server). At the time I tried every version of the ethernet kext except for 2.4... happy to report that rolling all the way back to 2.4 is completely rock solid and I havent crashed once in 2 weeks of heavy network usage and NAS access! This is a huge thing as I'm back to 100% stability.

i'm on a z87n and h87n itx btw, using the intel nics. both with the same network issue

Glad to hear your issue got sorted.

Given how wide spread this is, it would be great to find out what the actual root cause is so it can be fixed. Using an old driver is really just a workaround but it does seem to solve the issue for now.

Both of my rigs are Z87 based with the Intel Gigabit NIC built in. In 10.9.3 and 10.9.4, no AppleIntel1000 drivers past 2.4.14 work without hanging (2.5, 3.0 and 3.1 all have the port hang issue). Strangely, in 10.9.2, I was able to run v3.0 without any issues)

Same issue on a z87x-ud5h ! impossible to use ethernet; sometimes, after many tries, got ethernet working with old kext version, but, after reboot....ethernet lost !!!!
Now, i really don't know how to reply fix this

I'm having what I think is the same issue - glad I found this thread.
I have never noticed the problem until I set my laptop up to generate Lightroom smart previews of all the 64k images on my desktop PC.
At first I thought I had solved the problem by disabling SMB sharing and using AFP instead - but this was only a lucky attempt and after one exception, it still regularly crashes after about 10,000 images have been processed.

Reason for posting is that I am using OS X 10.9.3 and have not applied the 10.9.4 update yet - so can confirm that in my case at least this is nothing to do with the 10.9.4 update.

I think I am using 3.0.4.1a of the e1000 driver - but not sure how I check?

I have just disabled TCP Segmentation offloading and will see how this goes. Thank you for the suggestion LT.

Update - having disabled TCP Segmentation offloading it has certainly changed things. Now it seems to stay up and working, but after a prolonged period of use AFP becomes so slow it makes finder on my laptop hang and appear as not responding. Internet access is still OK on the desktop, teamviewer continues to allow me to remote control the machine, but trying to access the volume I have been using in finder on the laptop just brings everything to a crawling halt. If I try and do an ls -l command on the /Volumes folder in terminal it just sits there forever. If I reboot the laptop it makes not difference, if I reboot the desktop then everything starts working again.

Rob

Disabling TCP segmentation didn't help my situation at all when trying to use either of the 3.x drivers. The Ethernet port would still hang on large file transfers. The only driver that seems to work properly on my rig after updating to 10.9.3 (and subsequently 10.9.4) is the AppleIntel1000e v2.4.14 driver. On 10.9.2, the 3.x drivers worked flawlessly for me.

Interestingly, when I went and had a look at the v2.4.14 plist it does not contain the TCP segmentation key that newer versions of the driver have present in their plist files.

Something apple changed in 10.9.3 seems to be causing this issue. Unfortunately, the exact root cause has not been identified but many people are having issues with port hangs.

Something apple changed in 10.9.3 seems to be causing this issue. Unfortunately, the exact root cause has not been identified but many people are having issues with port hangs.
Not only with port hangs, tried to add a Wifi card, same issue, 1st boot OK.....
2nd Boot, Wifi Card disappear like a rabbit on a hat :)
WTF ?!

Not only with port hangs, tried to add a Wifi card, same issue, 1st boot OK.....
2nd Boot, Wifi Card disappear like a rabbit on a hat :)
WTF ?!

Thankfully Wifi has worked flawlessly for me but something wicked started in 10.9.3 with Ethernet and continued in 10.9.4. Given how wide spread the issue is, there doesn't seem to be much discussion on actual root cause.

Can anyone confirm if you guys are able to enable jumbo frames with 2.1.4? I just rolled back but wasn't able to make it work without the "automatic" config.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back