Contribute
Register

AppleALC volume slider lag (10.15.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I'm having the same issue as OP, but my system specs are a bit different...
My board is a Gigabyte z390 Ultra and my video card is a Radeon RX580.
Changing resolutions from scaled or default or whatever does nothing to resolve my issue.
I have most of my kexts installed to ~/L/E and only have FakeSMC loading via EFI.
I had to mess around a bit with my USB ports to get my BCM4360 wifi/bluetooth working in Catalina so maybe that's it, but the Logitech Gaming Center software also seems to take a lot of time loading (bounces in the dock for a while) so maybe that's something else?
Anyone else have an idea of what it might be?
It's just the volume UI that lags; nothing else graphics-wise seems to be affected.
FWIW I've tried different USB ports for my keyboard and mouse.
Thanks

Hey Mytsrplx, I'm having the same exact issue as you with same motherboard (Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra) but different GPU (Vega 56).

Basically, everything works, except volume slider/keys are super laggy AND screensaver lags when entering password. I've tried everything and am at a loss-

Things I've tried with no impact:

Swapped Vega 56 for a 5700 XT
Switched from Clover to Opencore
Upgraded to Opencore 0.5.7
Upgrade to WhateverGreen 1.3.8, latest AppleALC, latest Lilu
Did CFG-Lock patch in BIOS
Tried iMac18,1, iMac19,1, iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS
Disabled iGPU entirely
agpmod=pikera, shikivga=40, shiki-id
Flashed BIOS, Reset BIOS Settings, Disable/Enable XMP

At my wits end. My next step is to try and swap it with a Z370 motherboard. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll try swapping the entire system with an iMac (lol, but seriously, driving me nuts!)

Let me know if you were able to figure anything out. Do you by any chance have dual monitors? Are you using HDMI or DP? Trying to determine if that's a variable.

Hi there, I'm facing the exact same problem on my Gigabyte Z390 Ultra, running OSX 10.15.15 with a 5700XT. I've been trying updating the alc layout id to match my mb model, didn't help. Also, all kext are up-to-date.

Did anyone fix this slider lag issue?

Also, on my setup it's not only the slider that lags but also the volume change feels a lot slower than on my macbook pro.

I'm having the same issue. Anyone fixes this yet?

The same problem here, a lot of lag in the audio control, strange that after sleep goes back to normal

Guys, I finally found a fix for this!

Before this I've been trying a lot of things, I even switched from Clover to OpenCore, but that didn't help.

The fix that worked for me is to disable the serial port on your motherboard. Basically: going into your BIOS, looking for something called "Super IO > Serial Port" and disabling it.

For some people this option might be missing, it was the case for me. I have a Z390 Ultra and I was using BIOS version f10b, which does not provide that setting. Flashing BIOS to the latest Beta version f10g reintroduced the setting in the BIOS and allowed me to disable it.

Now my volume slider is super smooth, changing volume with the keyboard is instant, and I even noticed that the global UI of MacOS is much more responsive. Please try this and let me know if it worked!

(worked on OpenCore 0.6.2, Gigabyte z390 ultra, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT, 32GB 3200mhz).

Guys, I finally found a fix for this!

Before this I've been trying a lot of things, I even switched from Clover to OpenCore, but that didn't help.

The fix that worked for me is to disable the serial port on your motherboard. Basically: going into your BIOS, looking for something called "Super IO > Serial Port" and disabling it.

For some people this option might be missing, it was the case for me. I have a Z390 Ultra and I was using BIOS version f10b, which does not provide that setting. Flashing BIOS to the latest Beta version f10g reintroduced the setting in the BIOS and allowed me to disable it.

Now my volume slider is super smooth, changing volume with the keyboard is instant, and I even noticed that the global UI of MacOS is much more responsive. Please try this and let me know if it worked!

(worked on OpenCore 0.6.2, Gigabyte z390 ultra, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT, 32GB 3200mhz).
THANK YOU! IT'S BEEN BUGGING ME FORRR SO LOOONG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back