Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 590
Hi everyone!
I've been a tonymac's user since 2013, building Hackintoshes since 10.7.1. Now that I've been able to set up a new machine with a gigabyte z390 gaming M (ALC892), I'm facing a strange behavior from AppleALC kext. As soon as I activate it, the injection just works as intended with proper ports recognition, but the volume slider and buttons lag tremendously. Funny is that the sound does not and even with a latency test it shows no problem at all. As soon as I switch to a bt headset, the commands behave normally. Another thing to consider is that VodooHDA does not seem to be affected by this lag, but I would like to keep native audio since there's no other problem aside from the lag, instead, VodooHDA gives me some crackle and stutter. On Mojave, I had no problem whatsoever. I tried a different version of AppleALC (to 1.4.3 to 1.4.5), same problem.

Anybody got a clue?

Thanks in advantage, I hope I'll be able to help somebody with this thread as you have been helping me all these years :headbang:

Last edited:
These sorts of sync issues can be caused by CPU and memory clock speed issues. Have you overclocked your CPU or memory? Try setting it to stock. And check if you've overridden any of the frequency values in the Clover config, such as in the CPU section. Usually you can leave those blank and let it autodetect.

Thanks for the reply! I've just reset the memory freq at 2133 (was 2666), but it didn't work :c
The CPU is as stock as possible, I don't know where to look for. It's strange because just after the update from Mojave seemed to work well.

I don't know where to look for

This section should not have frequency or bus speed filled in, usually:
Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 3.08.14 PM.png

I don't know why sometimes sound gets weird after long term use. I've seen it as well. Possibly something to do with kext injection?

You could try switching Inject Kexts, under System Parameters, to "Detect" and installing all your kexts from the Clover kexts directory to the system drive, using Hackintool or some other kext installer. I've seen it before, that audio stuff works a little differently when the kexts are running from kernel cache instead of getting injected by Clover.

No success... I'm trying to reinstall Catalina and track down all the installations, maybe there's something that just breaks down the slider (I'm starting to think that's DisplayCAL)

Wish I could help you more. The symptom is that all system alert sounds are delayed, too, right?

Nope, all the sounds are on spot, and this is strange

Ah, so it's in the volume control only. Huh.

Yep, I think that's due to the changes that Catalina made on how MacOs handle audio processes :/

Ah, so it's in the volume control only. Huh.

Just found the culprit. When I switch to scaled resolution (looks like 1440p) on my 27 4k, the slider just begins to lag. Even if I return to "best for display" or no scaling at all, it remains delayed. At this point, I think that is a bug with Catalina that don't communicate well with AMD Polaris cards, due to the fact that even the DRM encoding is broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back