Motherboard
Acer Aspire 5 A515-54G [OpenCore]
CPU
i5-10210U
Graphics
UHD Graphics 630
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
This is a new installation. I decided to try OpenCore to experience its gain in speed in performance. Everything is working well, except the sound.

There are no audio input/output devices listed in the Sound section of System Preferences.
Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 11.23.24 PM.png

My device is ALC255, and I tried layout-id 31: didn't work. I tried layout-id 3, still it didn't work. Immediately, I figured that there is a problem because whichever layout-id I enter, there should be at least 1 audio device installed; in my case, there was none.

I tried all the fixes in this guide, but it still didn't work.

I decided that maybe it isn't supported yet, so I gave VoodooHDA.kext a try, but it's the same.

Tried adding AudioDxe.efi, but it did nothing.
Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 11.34.17 PM.png

When I run this command:
Code:
sudo kextcache -i / && sudo kextcache -u /
it gives me this:
Code:
kextcache -i /

kextcache -arch x86_64 -local-root -all-loaded -kernel /System/Library/Kernels/kernel -prelinked-kernel /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel -volume-root / /System/Library/Extensions /Library/Extensions /AppleInternal/Library/Extensions

^[[CKernelCache ID: 5C6B7B91C0A696812DF17E8BDB1C895B

kextcache -u /

Warning: /AppleInternal/Library/Extensions: No such file or directory

Here's what my IOREG says:

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 11.41.17 PM.png

System Information cannot recognize my audio device
Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 11.43.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 11.44.03 PM.png

Meanwhile, Hackintool reports nothing:
Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 11.45.12 PM.png

But it still somehow managed to detect the PCI device where the audio controller is:
Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 11.46.03 PM.png

Attached is my OpenCore EFI folder. Let me know if you need additional files.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6 MB · Views: 225
Last edited:
This is a new installation. I decided to try OpenCore to experience its gain in speed in performance. Everything is working well, except the sound.

There are no audio input/output devices listed in the Sound section of System Preferences.
View attachment 485787
My device is ALC255, and I tried layout-id 31

Sorry for the early, incomplete post. I accidentally clicked on Save, instead of Preview. Anyway, since I'm done editing my post, can you give it a second look?

Sorry for the early, incomplete post. I accidentally clicked on Save, instead of Preview. Anyway, since I'm done editing my post, can you give it a second look?
remove VoodooHDA.kext and put AppleALC back in
with alc255, you can also try out:
3, 11, 13, 15, 17, 18, 21, 27, 28, 30, 31, 99 ID's

you probably only need:
HfsPlus.efi
OpenRuntime.efi

with latest release of OpenCore

remove VoodooHDA.kext and put AppleALC back in
with alc255, you can also try out:
3, 11, 13, 15, 17, 18, 21, 27, 28, 30, 31, 99 ID's

you probably only need:
HfsPlus.efi
OpenRuntime.efi

with latest release of OpenCore

I tried doing all you've said, such as removing VoodooHDA.kext and adding back AppleALC.kext, trying those layout-ids, and only having HfsPlus.efi and OpenRuntime.efi in the Drivers folder, however it still didn't work.

I tried various layout-ids for ALC255, and even layout-id 1, 2, and 3, and literally none of them worked.

Upon looking at the Device Manager in Windows 10, I have Intel(R) Display Audio and Realtek(R) Audio.

I temporarily switched from OpenCore to Clover, and it sees the audio device as Realtek ALC255, and the sound works in the Startup sound output section of Clover. However, it will not work upon booting up to MacOS.

Furthermore, I also have the Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) Audio Controller in the System devices of Device Manager.

1598842272963.png

1598842303956.png

First you will probably need to follow the guide for using SSDTtime on Windows, and put the result file SSDT-HPET.aml in the ACPI folder. It will also give you some patches to add to your config.plist.

After that you're going to need to tryout all the layout ids listed for your sound card. If you had sound working with clover and can remember the layout used I would start with that one. With OC, you will need to inject the layout under nvram like in the pic until you find the right one. Only then will audio work.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 11.02.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 11.02.53 PM.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 315
First you will probably need to follow the guide for using SSDTtime on Windows, and put the result file SSDT-HPET.aml in the ACPI folder. It will also give you some patches to add to your config.plist.

After that you're going to need to tryout all the layout ids listed for your sound card. If you had sound working with clover and can remember the layout used I would start with that one. With OC, you will need to inject the layout under nvram like in the pic until you find the right one. Only then will audio work.

I also tried having SSDT-HPET.aml in my EFI folder, but it still got no sound.

The sound is working in Clover, but only in the bootloader, not in MacOS itself. However, I got the sound to work in my other laptop, which happens to have the same audio device (Realtek ALC255), but using that layout-id (31) in this laptop doesn't work.

I also tried having SSDT-HPET.aml in my EFI folder, but it still got no sound.

The sound is working in Clover, but only in the bootloader, not in MacOS itself. However, I got the sound to work in my other laptop, which happens to have the same audio device (Realtek ALC255), but using that layout-id (31) in this laptop doesn't work.
no new problem reporting files....

faq has the files needed:

no new problem reporting files....

faq has the files needed:

Here is my updated EFI OpenCore folder.

I also forgot to mention that in the Drivers folder, I left AppleGenericInput.efi and UsbKbDxe-64.efi because the laptop keyboard won't work without those drivers.

Attachments

• OC.zip
    6 MB · Views: 132
Here is my updated EFI OpenCore folder.

I also forgot to mention that in the Drivers folder, I left AppleGenericInput.efi and UsbKbDxe-64.efi because the laptop keyboard won't work without those drivers.
missing the rest of your files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back