Contribute
Register

Apple Worldwide Developer Conference WWDC June 6th 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Khanaset said:
pixelitodesign said:
I doubt you will be able to create a bootable dvd from a downloaded os sync file.
They clearly saying

"Go into the App Store, click "buy," it downloads locally and starts the upgrade.

No more discs. Lion will be available only in the App Store. Making it the "Easiest upgrade ever."

There's got to be some way to boot from an installer. How would you do an OS re-install? Especially for in-house techs, both at Apple as well as businesses? I don't think Apple would basically give the finger to every single business customer they have. =P

Why not? I can imagine the iCloud system will able to boot new Macs. btw. Did they say something about specs for lion? So if you have reinstall, plugin LAN cable or WLAN connect to icloud, icloud sees you own lion, and automatic installing it via web.

This can't be a unique option. In severals country, like Venezuela, all the internet system (by the goverment or private) is too much slow. Here, download 4gb will take minimun 2 or 3 day with the computer connected to internet. A t*****t sometimes I took one week!!!

The need to lauch a DVD, I'm sure they are a lot of users that only want put the disk and install... no all that: download, burn or something like that, install... I'm sure will be a DVD version... and 4GB coming from Snow Leopard with 8GB? If that's true, they are Goodnes, for do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
abelpinate said:
This can't be a unique option. In severals country, like Venezuela, all the internet system (by the goverment or private) is too much slow. Here, download 4gb will take minimun 2 or 3 day with the computer connected to internet. A t*****t sometimes I took one week!!!

The need to lauch a DVD, I'm sure they are a lot of users that only want put the disk and install... no all that: download, burn or something like that, install... I'm sure will be a DVD version... and 4GB coming from Snow Leopard with 8GB? If that's true, they are Goodnes, for do that.

From what they said, chances are that the UPGRADE to Lion. They should be able to download the upgrade package and go from there. But for everyone else, to REINSTALL it from scratch, they'll most likely make a dual-layer DVD available. I can't see Apple forcing users to download the data of an operating system from another machine, then burn it to DVD for their own use.

They clearly said that Lion will ONLY be available through the Mac App Store. This means no retail media whatsoever, but they should provide a method to put the software onto a bootable media for multiple macs.

For now, we can't discuss any installation methods- please refrain from posting links to unauthorized beta downloads and methods.

tonymacx86 said:
abelpinate said:

From what they said, chances are that the UPGRADE to Lion. They should be able to download the upgrade package and go from there. But for everyone else, to REINSTALL it from scratch, they'll most likely make a dual-layer DVD available. I can't see Apple forcing users to download the data of an operating system from another machine, then burn it to DVD for their own use.

They clearly said that Lion will ONLY be available through the Mac App Store. This means no retail media whatsoever, but they should provide a method to put the software onto a bootable media for multiple macs.

For now, we can't discuss any installation methods- please refrain from posting links to unauthorized beta downloads and methods.

They clearly said that in order to install Lion in other Mac authorize Computer you have to login in the App Store with your User ID, then download it and follow the instructions.

If this does in fact end up being the case (we'll see in a month I guess) ... it's a HUGE misstep for Apple, and will result in them losing a vast majority of their business market. I'm not allowed to discuss numbers (I work closely with the business reps at all 6 local Apple stores and see a lot of their sales numbers), but let's just say that doing that would basically doom the company to bankruptcy at this point. I have been getting hammered with clients wanting to know if the rumors of Lion only being available via App Store are true, and if so, when I can come in to start migrating their entire businesses (in some cases, 150+ client machines, 5+ servers, and hundreds of iOS devices) away from Apple products. Enterprises do *not* like being dependent on an external online service that (if you read the ToS) openly states that the service is not guaranteed to be online or accessible, *ever*. Not to mention the horrendous security risk of allowing such traffic through a corporate firewall.

I was told by one of the reps in my region that there will be physical Lion install media only a few days ago - either he was misinformed (possible), lying to me (very unlikely, I have an excellent relationship with him), or it's something that was just glossed over during this presentation to push the App Store. I simply cannot see Apple making such a colossal mistake as to expect enterprise business customers to allow unfettered access to the outside Internet on every single client machine, not to mention Apple servers.[/quote]

Lion server will be available for $49 in the App Store in july.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/server/how-to-buy/

I think its pretty clear that they said it would be the only way to upgrade (downloading I mean)

that however doesn't rule out physical media for fresh installs...

I am most annoyed that they didn't clarify if there would be a further price for server or if it was all included!
also I wonder if the new mac book airs (when they come) will still have lion on a usb key.... if so maybe we could buy one of those

I remember Vista was available for download at the launch time. Since I know, this don't work because the people see a OS like something very delicate for just download it. Apple always is a step after, but for me, a person who still prefer buy a cd audio and no a mp3 album, this is a don't know.
And I'm a person very confort with all that of the cloud, but in Venezuela the internet is no so faster like others country. I know, Jobs don't care about my internet connection, but maybe I'm no alone, they are a lot of persons thinking the same.
I will keep the hope for a dvd...

Has anyone around here who does not own a real Mac tried to use the app store? Not providing physical media definitely sounds fishy to me. I suspect there will be a way to avoid a new 4 gig download for each upgraded machine, but a login to the app store might be required for each run of the upgrade installer. Kind of makes you wonder what new Macs will come with.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/f ... netrestore

Internet Restore and Utilities

Built into Lion
OS X Lion includes a built-in restore partition, allowing you to repair or reinstall OS X without the need for discs.

Reinstall OS X
OS X can be reinstalled on your Mac from recovery mode.

so yeah, I guess their target is jump from Snow Leopard or get a new mac.

yeah, USB sitcks would've been just fine as a middle step :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back