Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Who know anything about this device for Apple Thunderbolt Display?

As it stated on official site - it makes new Apple laptops with Thunderbolt 3 ports to work with earlier Apple Thunderbolt Display (not USB-C port, but Thunderbolt 1/2).

Who knows - if it work with any Thunderbolt-3 (type C) integrated motherboard? There are a lot of Gigabyte motherboards nowadays, which have TB3 output to Thunderbolt-3 Displays!

So, what if I buy one of these motrehboards for Hackintosh and this adapter? Will it work in OS X? Or does it need additional drivers? I'm almost sure that it doesn't need any drivers, everything works on hardware level (Thunderbolt 3 -> Thunderbolt 2 signal).

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...2f2c6590f26d46b21fde62ee873931bcdafb0c7fc5e33

Снимок экрана 2017-04-19 в 18.23.28.png

====
Topic 2.

There also several motherboards (AS GA-Z170-Gaming) with miniDisplay port IN to be connected to discrete graphics and then it sends signal to Thunderbolt 3 output. Will it works either? Or easier question: will motherboard Thunderbolt 3 monitor output works in Hackintosh?

GA TB3 miniDP IN.png

Last edited:
HI! I've managed to make Mojave work flawlessly on an Aorus B635M Pro Mobo.
My USB Type C works prefectly but I cant get Thunderbolt stuff to work through the Apple Type C>TH2 Adapter. Any clue? Would it work?
You should have started a new thread and not hijacked an old thread more than 3 years ago.

I don't think there has been a B635M Pro from anybody. What exactly is your motherboard model?

Regardless, if your motherboard is based on B360 / B365 chipsets, I don't think it has Thunderbolt hardware onboard. Therefore you won't be able to make that adapter work with your motherboard even though it may have a USB-C port.

Thunderbolt 3 uses USB-C but USB-C ports do not necessarily support Thunderbolt.

You got me all Wrong. I dindt hijack anything. Just doing some research and dindt noticed it was from 3 years ago.
No need to be harsh man.

OTOH I do know really well that although USB C and TH3 uses the same conector have different protocols. I've been assembling hackintoshes for... I dont know... more than 12 years...

If you read my post correctly I state I'm trying to use an ADAPTOR: USB C to THUNDERBOLT2

PS: mobo is https://www.gigabyte.com/ar/Motherboard/B365-M-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10#kf sorry, was Elite not PRO.

Best.

OTOH I do know really well that although USB C and TH3 uses the same conector have different protocols. I've been assembling hackintoshes for... I dont know... more than 12 years...

If you read my post correctly I state I'm trying to use an ADAPTOR: USB C to THUNDERBOLT2

PS: mobo is https://www.gigabyte.com/ar/Motherboard/B365-M-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10#kf sorry, was Elite not PRO.

Best.
B365M Aorus Elite? I have this motherboard myself in my third system.

If you need to use Thunderbolt hardware, you need either (1) a motherboard with Thunderbolt 3 hardware, like my Z390 Designare, or (2) a motherboard with a Thunderbolt add-in card connector, like my Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming. And in the second case you will also need to purchase a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card, like the Gigabyte GC Titan Ridge, which connects to the motherboard via the add-in card connector.

Your motherboard does NOT have Thunderbolt 3 hardware, nor does it have a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card connector. Therefore you won't be able to use ANY kind of Thunderbolt hardware with your motherboard, regardless of whether they are directly connected or via a so-called adapter.

If you really want Thunderbolt functions, you will have to replace your motherboard with a suitable replacement.

I have a perfectly operating MB WITH TB3 onboard working flawlessly, where I do my everyday Audio Work with an Apogee Symphony MKII Thunderbolt and a UAD Firewire via a Thunderbolt to Firewire Adaptor. Everything works like a charm.

But.... Is it too difficult to see that I'm stating about using an USB Type C to Thunderbolt Adapter as you would do in a regular Mac?
Maybe my english is that bad?
Thanks.

I have a perfectly operating MB WITH TB3 onboard working flawlessly, where I do my everyday Audio Work with an Apogee Symphony MKII Thunderbolt and a UAD Firewire via a Thunderbolt to Firewire Adaptor. Everything works like a charm.

But.... Is it too difficult to see that I'm stating about using an USB Type C to Thunderbolt Adapter as you would do in a regular Mac?
Maybe my english is that bad?
Thanks.
It is not just "too difficult", it is impossible with the B365M Aorus Elite, the reasons of which I have stated in my previous post.

The motherboards in the systems listed in your signature (GA-Z170X-UD5 TH and GA-Z97X-UD7 TH) have Thunderbolt hardware onboard, and so the systems should be able to work with Thunderbolt hardware like the Apogee Symphony with the proper configuration, as you said.

I'm not asking about my current system...
I was just asking if the USB C to TH2 would work.. that was it... Thanks for your reply.
Your adapter won't work with any kind of Thunderbolt hardware (like your Apogee Symphony) if the system you are connecting it to does not have Thunderbolt hardware. It should work with your 2 older systems (which have Thunderbolt) though. Clear now?

Use your adapter only with systems that support Thunderbolt. It is useless elsewhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back