Contribute
Register

Apple Silicon Mac Pro Revealed at WWDC 2023

Wait... What?? ProRes is a trick??

Okay... Premiere... When I searched the PugetBench for Premiere Pro 0.98.0 over the last month, the best macOS scores came from M2 Ultras...
Everyone sees what they want to see :). I see that the best results have computers with i9-13900K or even with i7-13700K .

I like macOS it is more comfortable to work on it. For me, the economic factor is important . Imagine I have six PC computers under macOS in my home, office etc. Most of them ordinary "office" not some kind of workstation . And now think how much mac computers such even mac mini would cost . Yes I can convert them all to Linux or Windows but now is ok.

Is the new Mac Pro still using ECC RAM?

It's ECC that set the previous Mac Pros apart from the larger customer market, and partly why they cost more.

It turns out that for some market segments, esp. CAD, medicine, but also AAA media, etc. ECC (inc the GPU) is important from a compatibility and liability where high confidence is needed in data integrity. Random bit errors are not uncommon, and can break a project.
If you are designing a rocket for spaceflight then ECC memories will come in handy :) But if you're into video editing or audio then you don't need them for anything . ECC memory does not protect against program malfunctions .In archaic times, memories were not of the quality they are today. Today, the possibility of memory error is almost zero. But such memories make some people feel better.

Everyone sees what they want to see :). I see that the best results have computers with i9-13900K or even with i7-13700K .

I like macOS it is more comfortable to work on it. For me, the economic factor is important . Imagine I have six PC computers under macOS in my home, office etc. Most of them ordinary "office" not some kind of workstation . And now think how much mac computers such even mac mini would cost . Yes I can convert them all to Linux or Windows but now is ok.

I'm just seeing what the benchmarks show. You're the one not seeing the facts.

Premiere is different on every OS. Optimizations differ on every versions. If Premiere performance is your primary concern, use the OS that it runs best under.

The fact that we were able to run macOS on non-Apple hardware was unintended. That's coming to an end. Those who want to continue using macOS in the future is going to have to buy real Macs. Those who don't want to pay Apple's prices have the options of going to Windows or Linux.

If the goal of the new Silicon CPU/GPU technology was to deliver more efficient
PC computers, it is clear that it has failed.
Much to the contrary, efficiency is where Apple scores a victory hands down.
The Mac Studio M2 Ultra runs on a 370 W power supply. For the whole computer. A Sapphire Rapids Xeon or Threadripper CPU alone can use draw that, or even more; then you double the power draw with a single high-end AMD or Nvidia GPU, and add some 100-150 W for the motherboard, RAM and storage. Throw in the safety margin to size the PSU and you're well into four digits territory. Versus 370 W.

The form factor of the Mac Studio would just be impossible without AppleSilicon. For that alone, Apple was right to drop Intel and go with its own CPU+GPU design.

Much to the contrary, efficiency is where Apple scores a victory hands down.
The Mac Studio M2 Ultra runs on a 370 W power supply. For the whole computer. A Sapphire Rapids Xeon or Threadripper CPU alone can use draw that, or even more; then you double the power draw with a single high-end AMD or Nvidia GPU, and add some 100-150 W for the motherboard, RAM and storage. Throw in the safety margin to size the PSU and you're well into four digits territory. Versus 370 W.

The form factor of the Mac Studio would just be impossible without AppleSilicon. For that alone, Apple was right to drop Intel and go with its own CPU+GPU design.

I only have an M1 Max but I couldn't even get my Mac Studio to pull more than ~50W from the wall when pushing it.

I only have an M1 Max but I couldn't even get my Mac Studio to pull more than ~50W from the wall when pushing it.
Yes we pay three times more for energy efficient Mac to save a few $$$ on energy :lol: The main parameters are performance and price . And this is where Apple loses .

Yes we pay three times more for energy efficient Mac to save a few $$$ on energy :lol: The main parameters are performance and price . And this is where Apple loses .

Are you so stupid to think that people paying $7000 for a Mac Pro are concerned about saving a few bucks on their electric bill??? (That's a rhetorical question.)

As I've explained before, it's not about saving money. It's about crazy amount of heat that those old Intel systems used to spit out. I no longer have a fire breathing machine that heats up my home so much that the a/c can't keep up. Remember, those heatsinks and water coolers don't remove heat, they just transfer heat.

I think I understand discontent with latest Mac Pro in that it doesn't eclipse the previous generation, it just adds a factor of extensibility to Studio.

I was stuck by how bare that mainboard looks in previous posts of the innards.

In a naive way I expect this new Mac Pro to be cheaper than it is because it's "just" a mechanical extension of that phat SoC that's already in the Studios. An observation like "why does that case add 3K to a Studio with no other silicon advantages?"

I think I understand discontent with latest Mac Pro in that it doesn't eclipse the previous generation, it just adds a factor of extensibility to Studio.

I was stuck by how bare that mainboard looks in previous posts of the innards.

In a naive way I expect this new Mac Pro to be cheaper than it is because it's "just" a mechanical extension of that phat SoC that's already in the Studios. An observation like "why does that case add 3K to a Studio with no other silicon advantages?"
Because the case is an architectural piece of art. But let’s be honest that black etched daughter board, the extra TB ports, the extra USB-A and the cpu cooler are at least worth $1000.00

Last edited:
Pro Res files is a apple trick to make it seem that FCPX is faster . Try video native files (directly from camera) on FCPX and all slown down...The trick is that first the files are converted to Pro Res and then you work on them. Many apple apps are special optimized for Silicons. I works on Adobe Premiere and i9-13900K and here the situation is different.
I understand it depends on the Software and what hardware it can use !!
And in your case : Adobe Premiere + Intel vs Adobe Premiere + Apple Silicon is still an Intel Winner

The same trick as Final Cut Pro X (using HW encoder/decoder) is used by DaVinci Resolve (Non Apple Software).
There is huge benefit to use Apple silicon SOC with Resolve, Neurale Engine (Noise reduction, SuperScale, Scene cut Smart reframe for example) functions are speed up by Neurale Engine (Same name... what a coïncidence !!) from Apple Silicon SOC.

Be aware that today you need Intel because of Adobe
Adobe has to do the same kind of work on there softwares, and may be you'll change your hardware and you'll see the same benefit...

Back