Contribute
Register

Apple Silicon Mac Pro Revealed at WWDC 2023

Indeed, how many PCIE lanes (flash storage, u.3?)
Six x16 slots as the one shown would be 96 lanes. Sapphire Rapids has 64/112 lanes (Gen 5), Threadripper Pro WX5000 (still Zen3) has 128, so this would be on par for this class of systems.

Apple has been porting Intel and Mellanox drivers for a reason… At this point it's a fair bet to expect that Intel ice (800 series) will follow.

What's a user going to be able to plug in to just the chassis/price difference over the new studio?
Anything they want. That's the price of freedom.

Guess Tim Cook lied when he said a few years ago that there'd be one more Intel Mac...
Multiyear roadmap targets and or goals changes/shifts =/= lying.

Boring Apple, really thought they’d come up with something exciting, instead we got the same looking pro with some PCIe slots, very sad and disappointed. :thumbdown

Six x16 slots as the one shown would be 96 lanes. Sapphire Rapids has 64/112 lanes (Gen 5), Threadripper Pro WX5000 (still Zen3) has 128, so this would be on par for this class of systems.
I’m surprised they didn’t go with Gen 5.

Overall I’m disappointed with the new MacPro, it’s a Mac Studio with pcie lanes and huge $$$ markup.

While I don’t underestimate the power of their silicone I feel they’ve rushed the product, it’s one generation too early. Unless you use Apple silicone designed and optimized software that can utilize their custom bits, products from Intel/AMD/Nvidia will wipe the floor with it in scientific, video/audio, data fields.

192GB? You’ve got to be joking. What made the old MacPros great that you could’ve start small and grow now it’s a big FU to their customers and I’m one of them. Just had to vent.

Back to testing W790.

Almost $10k and I forgot to add the $400 wheels.

IMG_0627.jpeg

Last edited:
It's boring because it's sane and effective. Magic is taken for granted today.

Adjusted for inflation the new Mac Pro remains about the same price as the 1984 Macintosh. But it's about 1 million times more powerful, conservatively. Griping about being overcharged is typical, but they study their market and price accordingly. For people making a living using the devices they are effectively free.

The GPU has already been sized for the market, like everything else it will get fatter with future models, but it's completely appropriate to tasks.

It looks like Apple held out on CPU clock freq back in day to retain headroom for 20% increase announced today? Can anyone confirm or clarify this point?

Everyone griped there wasn't enough RAM, Apple tripled it; still griping. Griping is fun.

8 TB ports is typical PCIe expansion for a desktop: 32 PCIe 4 lanes. Plus the GPU doesn't have to be fed on them so that's net +8 or +16. And with TB hubs, these can be fanned out at least as flexibly as typical slots.

To me it looks like there's a missing mass storage story... How will this evolve? Gangs of NVMe attached by TB? Or slots? Academic.

The case is first and foremost functional: it's well engineered. Biggest concerns are cooling and signal integrity, both are very well covered by Apple. Your BT prolly won't be dropping when your cores rev up.

But the matter most pertinent to these forums is: It's the end of the line people! Set your clocks. I predict macOS 15 will be the last to support Intel— Tho I have no priv info.

Boring in this cycle means they're competent. Good for Apple.

Back