Contribute
Register

Apple Reveals macOS Sierra at WWDC - Available Fall 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
So instead of viewing the signed apps requirement as a benefit for the users, you choose to see a possible gloomy future where Apple won't allow us to run hackintoshes even though there's nothing to suggest that will ever happen.

The signature requirement is beneficial for the users and the developers becuase:
1. It helps build trust in the developer
2. It helps preventing updates from a different malicious developer that poses as the real developer
3. It gives Apple a kill switch for malicious apps that could be wreking your hardware and messig with your data.

What Apple has done before, and seems to be doing again, is enforcing complete control over their platform. I don't disagree with the listed benefits of signed applications, just their interpretations. Apple is likely to see hackintosh software as malicious, or at a minimum as a security issue. But even if that doesn't come to pass, the side effect of Apple locking down applications and the will be a messier and less friendly hackintosh experience.

That's not a gloomy view, that's just reality.

What Apple has done before, and seems to be doing again, is enforcing complete control over their platform. I don't disagree with the listed benefits of signed applications, just their interpretations. Apple is likely to see hackintosh software as malicious, or at a minimum as a security issue. But even if that doesn't come to pass, the side effect of Apple locking down applications and the will be a messier and less friendly hackintosh experience.

That's not a gloomy view, that's just reality.

I don't think the amount of "hackintosh" users vs the amount of REAL Mac users is even remotely significant enough to be a concern to Apple. No one has any grounds for complaint if Apple DO lock out "hackintosh" installations; they're a commercial company - their core business is to sell hardware and make a profit, then to provide support for that hardware throughout its viable lifetime. To use a "hackintosh" is one less sale for Apple (as much as some folk try and build a case to the contrary with outlandish "reasons", the logic of which usually go like this):

Defendant: "But your honour, I didn't see the harm in stealing that loaf of bread - I've bought thousands of loaves of bread from that shop over the years, so it's... <blah unreasonable self-justification>"

If I invented and marketed my own closed, proprietary product, I'd have NO qualms about locking people out - it's THEIR property, and by depriving them of a sale of a Mac whilst cherry picking which parts of the EULA to agree with to suit your use case, you're breaking their terms AND depriving them of a sale.

Apple needs to put their actual customers first. If they can improve security on actual apple devices sold, they eventually will.

This doesn't mean that they're targeting the hackintosh community specifically, nor (to my knowledge) have they made any public statement ever to point to this conclusion.

Even if they make stricter rules regarding signatures (although it's not a problem for the actual developer as I've explained before), they will not likely remove the ability to install the app from outside the App Store. While that happens we'll still have hackintoshes (provided that the good guys working on the project will continue).

Also, as explained before the signature is just a means of making sure a piece of software is released by a given developer, reducing the risk of infecting your mac with malware. It's no magic voodoo trick.

Yes. I've created 5-OSXs-in-1 install USB stick. It works for real Macintosh and Hackintosh when Clover Bootloader installed on EFI. See as attachment picture: (Volumes "Mac OS X Install ESD" is 10.8.5)
Damn that's genius, I could get rid of my 5 or 6 different thumb drives... Thanks!

So I had a few things I wanted to comment on reguarding the keynote and this release

1) I read most of the comments and didnt see anyone else bring this up so Ill just say it. How in the heck did they go the ENTIRE keynote without mentioning that they are changing file systems? No more HFS +! Its now APFS(Apple File System)...backwards compatible with HFS but with some insane new features that most power users and devs will love.

2) For those of you who are worried about "Anywhere" disappearing on Security and Privacy page fear not! After looking into it I discovered that prior to Sierra the application would flag and make you have both the "Anywhere" setting AND have you OK the opening of ANY DMG or script downloaded from the web weather it was signed or not. Im not sure how else you can get something not from the app store any other way but thats for another discussion. On El Capitan I specifically remembered having to give my OK on OBS, Skype, and Firefox. Im happy to report that NOTHING came up on a BRAND NEW install of Sierra! I dont know if those have always been signed or not. However if thats what "Anywhere" meant, then by bypassing that confirmation would make it an obsolete setting. I dont know if there will be a ill effect by Apple removing it but so far I see none. Also, IMO as a developer, because apple developer accounts are free, I see it as a way for apple to hold malicious software developers accountable, and also having a way to revoke a certificate to keep said software from going out to the masses. For me, it takes 10 minutes to setup an account and sign the darn thing. Not like you have to have to have it reviewed by apple or something.

3)Since when did they not spend 30 minutes on why they named the next version of macOS/OSX? Generally they would give all sorts of intros into how they selected the new background image and why its worthy of the new OS name. Instead they went.. "Its called macOS Sierra" the end.

Last edited:
1) I read most of the comments and didnt see anyone else bring this up so Ill just say it. How in the heck did they go the ENTIRE keynote without mentioning that they are changing file systems? No more HFS +! Its now APFS(Apple File System)...backwards compatible with HFS but with some insane new features that most power users and devs will love.

Keep in mind that the new file system isn't ready for release if I recall correctly; it won't be in full use until next year. Right now there are some critical things it can't do, so I think at this point it's for Dev's to mess around with.

I could be wrong, but I think HFS+ is going to be around for at least another year.

Keep in mind that the new file system isn't ready for release if I recall correctly; it won't be in full use until next year. Right now there are some critical things it can't do, so I think at this point it's for Dev's to mess around with.

I could be wrong, but I think HFS+ is going to be around for at least another year.
Correct. I consider it an early Alpha release since the developers are told to use it with caution. So, I'd leave it alone for another year or until it turns out to be a Beta release. If I was want to start developing software based upon the APFS. Be sure to back up your coded all-the-time. :thumbup:

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is the correct place to highlight and or discuss. So please forgive and delete if this is not the right forum.

Has anyone got a view of what impact APFS will have on clover boot loader ? As i understand it clover loads HFSPlus.efi driver required to boot OS X.

Does this means that in future clover would require a new APFS.efi driver ? What is the implication if this is the case ?
Apple intent to make information of there APFS public knowledge at release of APFS, correct ?

Regards

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is the correct place to highlight and or discuss. So please forgive and delete if this is not the right forum.

Has anyone got a view of what impact APFS will have on clover boot loader ? As i understand it clover loads HFSPlus.efi driver required to boot OS X.

Does this means that in future clover would require a new APFS.efi driver ? What is the implication if this is the case ?
Apple intent to make information of there APFS public knowledge at release of APFS, correct ?

Regards
I think it was addressed in previous posts but you can turn down the panic mode. 1) APFS is a long way away. Updates to a file system are not trivial things. 2) When they do release it I'm sure it will not be the default boot service. 3) HFS+ and APFS will exist side-by-side for a long time.

So I had a few things I wanted to comment on reguarding the keynote and this release

2) For those of you who are worried about "Anywhere" disappearing on Security and Privacy page fear not! After looking into it I discovered that prior to Sierra the application would flag and make you have both the "Anywhere" setting AND have you OK the opening of ANY DMG or script downloaded from the web weather it was signed or not. Im not sure how else you can get something not from the app store any other way but thats for another discussion. On El Capitan I specifically remembered having to give my OK on OBS, Skype, and Firefox. Im happy to report that NOTHING came up on a BRAND NEW install of Sierra! I dont know if those have always been signed or not. However if thats what "Anywhere" meant, then by bypassing that confirmation would make it an obsolete setting. I dont know if there will be a ill effect by Apple removing it but so far I see none. Also, IMO as a developer, because apple developer accounts are free, I see it as a way for apple to hold malicious software developers accountable, and also having a way to revoke a certificate to keep said software from going out to the masses. For me, it takes 10 minutes to setup an account and sign the darn thing. Not like you have to have to have it reviewed by apple or something.

3)Since when did they not spend 30 minutes on why they named the next version of macOS/OSX? Generally they would give all sorts of intros into how they selected the new background image and why its worthy of the new OS name. Instead they went.. "Its called macOS Sierra" the end.

You'll enjoy watching this video in its entirety, and you'll discover the APFS situation, and why discussing it at an event focused on imminent products would not be appropriate yet. It would be like Apple announcing "We've built half a wall on the back of our campus - it's not finished yet, but we'd like to show you it" and have them then explain it in detail - you'd send people to sleep in no time, over something which is not only unfinished, but not due to be implemented for a LONG time, and isn't very exciting news for a Keynote. Remember, Apple are kings of excitement and enthralment - kings of new products that make life a pleasure and simpler to live, and discussing a filesystem... wow... that's ultra nerdy, and they are wise enough to keep that out, and maybe only discuss it in the WWDC session videos, NOT at the main Keynote :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back