Contribute
Register

Apple Posts Details of MacBook Pro with Retina Display

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks great, other than the fact that they use all proprietary (sp?) hardware. That means no upgrading ram/SSD on your own. Everything is soldered in, hell you can't even replace the battery yourself because it's glued down and the trackpad cable is beneath it. I know Apple isn't know for being "open" with stuff like this, but this is ridiculous. I'm glad I have the last model MBP, as I'm planning on upgrading the ram (16GB) and replacing the optical drive with an SSD myself. You can check ifixit.com to see why they rated it a "1 out of 10" being the repairability factor. They deemed it, the "Least repairable laptop ever made". :thumbdown:

techguy224 said:
I called apple and they told me that the memory and the hard drive can be upgraded on all the new models. the only computer that cant be upgraded is the air.

Apple upgrade and 3rd-party/DIY upgrades are not the same thing.
http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/tech ... ugh-826302

The device uses proprietary screws (which mean that you'll need a special screwdriver just to open the bottom cover), the RAM is soldered to the logic board, and there is no traditional hard-drive enclosure, just an array of proprietary flash storage.

What's more, the battery is glued — rather than screwed — into the case, and the display assembly is completely fused.

So I guess if battery goes dead or won't charge, you send the whole thing back to Apple.

powerpcg5 said:
What's more, the battery is glued — rather than screwed — into the case, and the display assembly is completely fused.[/i]

So I guess if battery goes dead or won't charge, you send the whole thing back to Apple.

Apple seems to have built this laptop to pretty much break if you try to fix it yourself, which is ridiculous. If say "well it's just glued" and try to pry it off you could risk either puncturing one of the batteries or snapping the touchpad cable thats directly under the battery.

Oh and someone wrote an email to Tim cook about the future of the Mac Pro and this was his reply (confirmed):

Franz,

Thanks for your email. Our Pro customers like you are really important to us. Although we didn't have a chance to talk about a new Mac Pro at today's event, don't worry as we're working on something really great for later next year. We also updated the current model today.

We've been continuing to update Final Cut Pro X with revolutionary pro features like industry leading multi-cam support and we just updated Aperture with incredible new image adjustment features.

We also announced a MacBook Pro with a Retina Display that is a great solution for many pros.

Tim

Not that I'd ever buy such a ridiculously priced desktop, but I guess there's hope for those who are willing to buy it.

powerpcg5 said:
techguy224 said:
I called apple and they told me that the memory and the hard drive can be upgraded on all the new models. the only computer that cant be upgraded is the air.

Apple upgrade and 3rd-party/DIY upgrades are not the same thing.
http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/tech ... ugh-826302

The device uses proprietary screws (which mean that you'll need a special screwdriver just to open the bottom cover), the RAM is soldered to the logic board, and there is no traditional hard-drive enclosure, just an array of proprietary flash storage.

What's more, the battery is glued — rather than screwed — into the case, and the display assembly is completely fused.

yea i read the i fix it blog already . and yes i know its not the same thing however, i asked if i can upgrade with my own ram and hard drive after market i was told yes . maybe he didn't know what he was talking about.( there's a lot of those people )

OK I am keeping my existing MacBook Pro after reading the specs of this. While the Retina is good news the fact that you can't upgrade the thing is a disaster. I never upgrade RAM, hardware etc... from Apple because their pricing is ridiculous. i always use 3rd party upgrades and usually with hard drives anyway the exact same as Apple use but at a much lower price. I guess this is their way of selling their own upgrades.

The other thing that killed my enthusiasm for replacing my MB Pro is that this new model does not have Ethernet and that for me is a game stopper!

the_gael said:
The other thing that killed my enthusiasm for replacing my MB Pro is that this new model does not have Ethernet and that for me is a game stopper!
Well you just need an adapter. Something almost all macbook users are used to at this point.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD463ZM/A

They probably should have adopted gigabit wireless first though.

techguy224 said:
i asked if i can upgrade with my own ram and hard drive after market i was told yes .

Probably in a "you can bring your own upgrades to the Apple Store and we'll install them for you" kind of way.

mrhooks said:
techguy224 said:
i asked if i can upgrade with my own ram and hard drive after market i was told yes .

Probably in a "you can bring your own upgrades to the Apple Store and we'll install them for you" kind of way.
I'm not worried about it I can do it my self, but for me i need a new mac... my mac is an 06 model and finally showing its age

techguy224 said:
mrhooks said:
techguy224 said:

I'm not worried about it I can do it my self, but for me i need a new mac... my mac is an 06 model and finally showing its age

Don't worry, Apple would be more than willing to upgrade you in return for next years salary paid in full. :lol: :eek:

theapplelover said:
theapplelover said:
I wanted to build a hackintosh but this appearantly changed my mind.
Wait a second, you can't upgrade the memory on this thing? This is something to consider.

No you can't! The only thing that isn't soldered on is the SSD and no one makes a replacement SSD yet. By it maxed out or make sure you are happy with what you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back