Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770K @4.2-4.4GHz
Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
ivybridgee.jpgLeaked Intel roadmaps are suggesting that Intel won't be launching its next generation of socket LGA-2011 and LGA-1356 Xeon processors based on the Ivy Bridge-EP architecture until the third quarter of next year. Unless Apple is planning on waiting another year until it releases a new Mac Pro, then it's highly likely that we'll see the company using Intel's current Sandy Bridge-EP based Xeon's.

The roadmap in question actually talks about the Ivy Bridge-E processors, the replacement of the current Core i7-3x00 series of LGA-2011 processors which are paired up with the X79 chipset. However, this platform launched ahead of Intel's current LGA-2011 Xeon processors, as the company found some last minute bugs in the CPUs as well as some issues with the C600-series chipsets.

We would expect Intel to have all these issues under control for the Ivy Bridge-E/EP processors and we're expecting them to launch about the same time. The good/bad news here is that Intel is not planning any new chipsets for the new processors which means that there won't be any native USB 3.0 support. That said, the new processors are expected to bring along DDR3 1866MHz memory support and they will also be using Intel's latest 22nm manufacturing technology.

hdhero.jpeg

Overall it looks like Ivy Bridge-E/EP will be a very minor upgrade as far as the platform specifications are concerned. It might be disappointing in some ways, but the potentially good news here is that those of you that are running an X79 based CustoMac might get official support come next year. We'll just have to wait and see how things play out, but hopefully Apple is smart enough to bring out a new Mac Pro sooner rather than later.

Source: TechPowerUp!

Related:
WWDC 2012 Mac Pro "Update"
Will Apple Ever Update the Mac Pro?
Pro Users Petition Apple for Info on Future of Mac Pro

Last edited by a moderator:
Very curious if they actually will. It's very strange to have their computers with Thunderbolt, but for high end workstations, you will at least expect it. The big question will be, will Intel bend and certify a board supporting a processor which does not got a GPU?

Well, it's Apple we're talking about here, so anything is possible. However, I think a more likely scenario is some kind of custom, internal connector, or a software solution akin to LucidLogix Virtu software on Windows, as that allows the signal from a discrete card to be passed through to the Thunderbolt ports. We'll see what happens, as Intel doesn't really control what Apple does...

Good point. Well, it's a tech from as well as Apple as Intel, so I guess they have to force it, since Intel will not proivide them with the technology the y 'need'. Of course, speculation. Very interested what's going to happen! :) Especially for the hackintosh community!

Considering that Tim Cook said we should expect a new Mac Pro "later in 2013" and that there is no way Apple will release one without USB 3 and Thunderbolt, it seems very likely that Apple will wait for Ivy Bridge E.

Article: Apple might end up using Sandy Bridge-EP Xeon CPUs in new Mac Pros

As I've mentioned before, the sad part of what made Apple what it was with there powerhouse Mac Pros, has now become the thing they've been focusing on the least...

Eh I don't really see it that way.

Apple has ALWAYS used the Xeon lineup in the Mac Pro's. That lineup with Intel has been fairly stagnant for awhile. There have been some updates but nothing to really write home about. Now I agree some just normal things like USB3 would be nice to see or a video card update. The problem with Apple has always seemed to be that they rely on the technologies of the chipsets too much. What I mean by that is if it isn't included in the Intel chipset chances are Apple won't include it. The Xeon's they use have no USB3, and no Thunderbolt. Nor does it look like Intel has any plans to include TB in their Xeon chips. Now they could easily add a third party USB3 chipset and SATA3 but its not their style and its a pretty small gain for the two technologies versus the investment.

I wouldn't say that the MacPro is dead its just not a product line that is getting any love from Intel. Sure your hackintosh may beat a quad xeon and maybe an older 8 core. But you aren't getting anywhere close to the performance of a new 8 core or 12 core machine plain and simple unless you are also using Xeon chips.

It is an interesting time indeed for the "Desktop" versus "Server" grade hardware. Typical quad core servers just aren't worth it compared to the IB i7.

This is even true for the iMac as well as a high end quad will best a low end MacPro. In fact all my current pro's that are buying machines are buying iMacs if they are just looking at a low end pro anyway. The Xeon isn't dead but the market for it is getting smaller by the day.

That all said the only people I see that really want a tower nowadays are hardcore gamers for the cards. Most audio and video capture stuff is being done in external boxes nowadays. From there the only other big segment is RAID and there are LOTS of options in that arena.

Considering that Tim Cook said we should expect a new Mac Pro "later in 2013" and that there is no way Apple will release one without USB 3 and Thunderbolt, it seems very likely that Apple will wait for Ivy Bridge E.

Misquote much?

"Our Pro customers like you are really important to us. Although we didn’t have a chance to talk about a new Mac Pro at today’s event, don’t worry as we’re working on something really great for later next year."

That's the exact quote from the email. It doesn't say a time, it says later next year, which could be at any point next year, as the email is from June this year. Later isn't a specific date and do you really think Apple is going to wait for over a year from that email to launch new Mac Pros? I highly doubt it.

Clearly you can't read either, as if you had, you would've noticed from my article that I said that Intel isn't planning a new chipset for Ivy Bridge-E/EP, so in other words, we won't see native USB 3.0 support. That has nothing to do with whatever Apple is planning to stick in the next Mac Pro does it? They could stick a Lightning port on there if they wanted to, just to be Apple, it has nothing to do with Intel's chipsets or CPUs.

As for Thunderbolt, well, we'll have to wait and see, I never said Apple won't do it, the question is how they'll implement it. Intel doesn't allow for an implementation of Windows machines that doesn't connect to the Intel discrete graphics, but that's not likely going to stop Apple from working around that somehow, as my previous post above mentions, but I guess you didn't read that one either.

Whoa, chill dude!
I may or may not be able to read but you certainly aren't able to hold a calm, civilized conversation more than two seconds.

"Later next year" is not very precise, but considering that he could have used "early next year" or simply "next year", it's pretty obvious that the only thing that's making you think a new Mac Pro is coming in the first half of the year is wishful thinking.

Apple has delayed support for USB 3 in all Macs until it was supported in the chipset, so it shouldn't surprise anyone if the same will apply to the Mac Pro.
There's plenty of room, both physically and pricing wise in the Mac Pro for a dedicated USB 3 chip, so it is equally likely that Thunderbolt integration it's the big thing holding back the release and not USB 3.

Misquote much?

"Our Pro customers like you are really important to us. Although we didn’t have a chance to talk about a new Mac Pro at today’s event, don’t worry as we’re working on something really great for later next year."

That's the exact quote from the email. It doesn't say a time, it says later next year, which could be at any point next year, as the email is from June this year. Later isn't a specific date and do you really think Apple is going to wait for over a year from that email to launch new Mac Pros? I highly doubt it.

Clearly you can't read either, as if you had, you would've noticed from my article that I said that Intel isn't planning a new chipset for Ivy Bridge-E/EP, so in other words, we won't see native USB 3.0 support. That has nothing to do with whatever Apple is planning to stick in the next Mac Pro does it? They could stick a Lightning port on there if they wanted to, just to be Apple, it has nothing to do with Intel's chipsets or CPUs.

As for Thunderbolt, well, we'll have to wait and see, I never said Apple won't do it, the question is how they'll implement it. Intel doesn't allow for an implementation of Windows machines that doesn't connect to the Intel discrete graphics, but that's not likely going to stop Apple from working around that somehow, as my previous post above mentions, but I guess you didn't read that one either.

Whoa, chill dude!
I may or may not be able to read but you certainly aren't able to hold a calm, civilized conversation more than two seconds.

"Later next year" is not very precise, but considering that he could have used "early next year" or simply "next year", it's pretty obvious that the only thing that's making you think a new Mac Pro is coming in the first half of the year is wishful thinking.

Apple has delayed support for USB 3 in all Macs until it was supported in the chipset, so it shouldn't surprise anyone if the same will apply to the Mac Pro.
There's plenty of room, both physically and pricing wise in the Mac Pro for a dedicated USB 3 chip, so it is equally likely that Thunderbolt integration it's the big thing holding back the release and not USB 3.

So what part of the fact that Intel will not release any new chipsets for the LGA-2011 platform next year did you miss? In other words, no native USB 3.0 support until sometime in 2014...
I don't remember ever saying that USB 3.0 has anything with holding back a new Mac Pro, in fact, I have no idea as to why Apple decided not to launch one this year, as the platform is available.

You have a very poor understanding about a lot of things and your comments are making it very obvious, but apparently I'm the guy that doesn't get it, despite having worked in the industry for the past decade and a half, so yeah, great...
I don't make this stuff up for ****s and giggles, I actually know what I'm talking about.

But you know what, you have the right to your opinion, as wrong as it might be ;)

So what part of the fact that Intel will not release any new chipsets for the LGA-2011 platform next year did you miss? In other words, no native USB 3.0 support until sometime in 2014...
I don't remember ever saying that USB 3.0 has anything with holding back a new Mac Pro, in fact, I have no idea as to why Apple decided not to launch one this year, as the platform is available.

You have a very poor understanding about a lot of things and your comments are making it very obvious, but apparently I'm the guy that doesn't get it, despite having worked in the industry for the past decade and a half, so yeah, great...
I don't make this stuff up for ****s and giggles, I actually know what I'm talking about.

But you know what, you have the right to your opinion, as wrong as it might be ;)

There are millions of people in the world whom have worked within their respective "industry" for many years that don't know the difference between their a$$ and a hole in the ground, so your background claims are all but meaningless. Claiming his opinion is wrong is also silly, considering that opinions are SUBJECTIVE beliefs. Claiming that your opinion is more right than his only makes you sound less intelligent.

FWIW: When I read "later next year", I assumed sometime in the second half of 2013. Must have been common sense getting the best of me again. But you are absolutely right, we should take your word over Tim Cook's. I mean, it isn't like he is Apple's Chief Executive Officer or anything... I'm sure his experience is nothing compared to your 15 years "in industry" (whatever that means).

I agree that Apple will not release something without official chipset support. Intel may not have anything SPECIFIED that meets Apple's requirements of the next Mac Pro, but they are certainly sitting on the technology to provide Apple with what they need. Apple is a very large market for Intel. If Apple wants a Mac Pro with Ivy Bridge Xeons and native support for USB3 and Thunderbolt by "Later" in 2013, i'm sure they have the means to persuade Intel to fulfill their requirements. It is much more likely though that it WILL be Sandy Bridge.

It will be interesting though to see how the AirPlay situation pans out for the new Pros given that AirPlay relies on the QuickSync feature of the SandyBridge/IvyBridge IGP, and Xeons traditionally ditch the IGP in favor of power consumption, given the intended markets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back