Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've seen this posted before, but thought I'd post my own success in this installation.
I bought the 5 pin USB cable from monoprice for a couple bucks. The Apple infrared is from a MBP and I got it on eBay for 99 cents plus a couple bucks shipping. All in all I spent under 10 bucks for this and I couldn't be happier.

Luckily the eye of the infrared receiver is about as big as the circles on the "mesh" look on my case. So in one of unoccupied DVD bays I drilled a hole so the eye could peek through.

72cb5eaa.png

I then attached the 5 pin to the mobo and pulled it through, attached all the corresponding wire colors and taped them all with electrical tape.

29f01ca5.png

After the wires were connected I taped the infrared receiver to the back of the front of the case so they "eye" was barely exposed to the front:

61c731d2.png

Here you can see how difficult it is to see the eye. It's not hard to find, but it doesn't stand out by any means...

64fe3dea.png

And here is the case:

1b52f43a.png

Nothing was needed after installing- just works when booting up. In system profiler it just shows up on the USB hub as an Apple infrared device.

Thanks for everyone in Tonymacx86 for posting their mods. This helped me. Hopefully mine will help someone as well. :D

Here is the infrared part I used:
http://www.macpartsonline.com/922-7195-infrared-board-15inch-macbook-pro.html
I found mine on eBay for 99 cents. It's used, but in good condition and works perfectly.

Here is the USB header I used. I just snipped off the one end and stripped the wires to twist around the infrared wires.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10303&cs_id=1030311&p_id=6749&seq=1&format=2

Does you're display wake via the menu key on the remote? Doesn't seem to work for me :(

Hi, I just stumbled upon this post of yours from a few years ago. I was hoping you could answer a question I had.

Did you cut the male end off of the USB cable and plug it directly into the motherboard? Or did you just plug it into any open USB port?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back