Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170MX-Gaming 5
CPU
Intel i5 6600K
Graphics
Asus GTX 980 STRIX 4GB
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Since my initial Mavericks installation I've noticed the driver issues with the onboard video, like ridiculous amounts of microstutter and lines through video playback. I tried the driver provided by multibeast but that didn't do anything. I set off to see if my Asus 4890 would work on Mavericks, but due to the crazy power draw of this card the system never even booted with the card in it. I picked up an Asus GTX 560ti today and installed it. The computer would boot to the grey apple screen, load for a few seconds and black out, so I took to the card out to just let it boot with onboard video again and now it just hands at the logo screen. Ran the OS in verbose mode and got the following error in the end. Not sure what to do now.

Attachments

• 2014-02-26 00.43.26.jpg
    2014-02-26 00.43.26.jpg
    830.1 KB · Views: 165
Since my initial Mavericks installation I've noticed the driver issues with the onboard video, like ridiculous amounts of microstutter and lines through video playback. I tried the driver provided by multibeast but that didn't do anything. I set off to see if my Asus 4890 would work on Mavericks, but due to the crazy power draw of this card the system never even booted with the card in it. I picked up an Asus GTX 560ti today and installed it. The computer would boot to the grey apple screen, load for a few seconds and black out, so I took to the card out to just let it boot with onboard video again and now it just hands at the logo screen. Ran the OS in verbose mode and got the following error in the end. Not sure what to do now.
If that is a nvidia graphics card try the boot flags GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x2000 if it works change your kernel flags in org.chameleon.boot.plist Good luck

Okay I'll go try it now

Edit: Tried it a few times but it kept doing the same thing. Do you have any other suggestions? I was thinking of trying to get Mountain Lion because Nvidia has drivers for ML (although I didn't see the 500 series supported). Wondering if that is worth a shot.

Did this only start with 10.9.2 but work fine with 10.9.1 or 10.9.0?

10.9.2 made some changes to PCI kexts that are causing a few problems with non gigabyte boards especially although even some gigabyte boards i've noticed depending on settings and configuration. For example, for my system, on 10.9.1 and 10.9.0 I had to run +0.1 IO voltage for memory overclock or system would freeze (pretty typical, for memory overclock to 1866). However under 10.9.2 i had to raise it to +0.3 to achieve same stability or the GRAPHICS card would cause freezes. AUTO seems to work in both on gigabyte boards so it doesn't affect most. AUTO does NOT seem to work nearly as good on non gigabyte boards anymore. You may be able to restabilize if you change System Agent and IO analog and io digital voltages. IE VCCSA VCCIO voltages and play with em.

alternatively you can try swapping PCI kexts from 10.9.2 with 10.9.1 ones
http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,8130.msg24997.html#msg24997

Just note, second solution really isn't a good one except to get you "running" I am more curious if tampering with bios settings til we find something that makes the non gigabytes behave with 10.9.2 changes.

10.9.2 made some changes to PCI kexts that are causing a few problems with non gigabyte boards especially although even some gigabyte boards i've noticed depending on settings and configuration. For example, for my system, on 10.9.1 and 10.9.0 I had to run +0.1 IO voltage for memory overclock or system would freeze (pretty typical, for memory overclock to 1866). However under 10.9.2 i had to raise it to +0.3 to achieve same stability or the GRAPHICS card would cause freezes. AUTO seems to work in both on gigabyte boards so it doesn't affect most. AUTO does NOT seem to work nearly as good on non gigabyte boards anymore. You may be able to restabilize if you change System Agent and IO analog and io digital voltages. IE VCCSA VCCIO voltages and play with em.

Just note, second solution really isn't a good one except to get you "running" I am more curious if tampering with bios settings til we find something that makes the non gigabytes behave with 10.9.2 changes.

I dilly dallied with the voltages but I'm not sure if that's the reason why I got the mac to boot because until now I was trying GraphicsEnabler=No. When I tried "GraphicsEnabler=yes" It booted to the desktop. I'm even more relieved that my bluetooth dongle is recognized OOB, and I'm waiting to test my firewire 800 card, but back to the meat of the matter, what do I do now that I'm on my desktop in reference to editing the kext for the plist?

- - - Updated - - -

I dilly dallied with the voltages but I'm not sure if that's the reason why I got the mac to boot because until now I was trying GraphicsEnabler=No. When I tried "GraphicsEnabler=yes" It booted to the desktop. I'm even more relieved that my bluetooth dongle is recognized OOB, and I'm waiting to test my firewire 800 card, but back to the meat of the matter, what do I do now that I'm on my desktop in reference to editing the kext for the plist?

If GraphicsEnabler=Yes got it booted and everything is working fine you need to edit the org.chameleon.boot.plist journey to the root of the drive and open the extra folder copy the file org.chameleon.boot.plist to the desktop then open it with text edit you should see a string like this
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
change the no to a Yes save it and close then delete the one in the extra folder or place it somewhere safe you'll have to authenticate it maybe and then copy and paste the edited one to the extra folder and authenticate it. I would always repair disk permissions after this with disk utility or kext wizard or your favorite 3rd party program if perhaps you don't have that string in the org.chameleon.boot.plist then put it there and be done with it good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back