Contribute
Register

Apple Display Connector to DVI Adaptor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gus said:
I really need to get myself a proper hack desktop.

Get that free G5 working as a hack! Now you surely have no excuse.......where are you with your Minis and your Cube??? :)

minihack said:
Get that free G5 working as a hack! Now you surely have no excuse.......where are you with your Minis and your Cube??? :)
I need a processor. If I had a CPU I could get everything going! I'm back working this week though so soon!

Mini- waiting for processor to get measuring/test fitting stuff (the ultimate technical word there)

Cube- needs a mobo/cpu think I want to use the DH61AG for this too.

2x G5, G4, G3 one of those will be getting a mATX in it too. Most likely the G3.

Gus said:
I need a processor. If I had a CPU I could get everything going! I'm back working this week though so soon!

Mini- waiting for processor to get measuring/test fitting stuff (the ultimate technical word there)

Cube- needs a mobo/cpu think I want to use the DH61AG for this too.

2x G5, G4, G3 one of those will be getting a mATX in it too. Most likely the G3.

Okay, good to hear.

I'm busy earning a bit of cash myself so that when I finally do put forward some mod. kits for these G4s they are made from plastics that look the part. At the moment the working prototypes are put together from some multi-coloured bits of perspex in lurid fluorescent colours so I am trying to get some blues and greys that look more in keeping with the original colouring of the G4s.

I also want to (for my own pleasure!!) watercool my radical MDD full ATX conversion as that will be the replacement for my work-a-day G5.

So all these things are adding to the delays from my end. I'd rather show off something that fits exactly right and looks the part than to show a work in progress.

Getting back to the subject of the thread though I do like your ideas in these ADC/DVI conversions and as I have a load of old AGP graphics cards with the ADC connectors on them it might be a good use for them!

I'm thinking it might be nice to have them on an expansion card so that anyone wanting to convert in either direction could patch into them. E.g. if you want ADC to DVI you can have a small patch cable from an original ADC card to the converter and then take a main DVI from PC to display OR if you want to go DVI to ADC you have a small DVI patch cable and take a main ADC cable to the apple display. You could then also market them to real G4/G5 owners who wanted an extra DVI output but didn't want to have converter boxes lying around.

minihack said:
Okay, good to hear.

I'm busy earning a bit of cash myself so that when I finally do put forward some mod. kits for these G4s they are made from plastics that look the part. At the moment the working prototypes are put together from some multi-coloured bits of perspex in lurid fluorescent colours so I am trying to get some blues and greys that look more in keeping with the original colouring of the G4s.

I also want to (for my own pleasure!!) watercool my radical MDD full ATX conversion as that will be the replacement for my work-a-day G5.

So all these things are adding to the delays from my end. I'd rather show off something that fits exactly right and looks the part than to show a work in progress.

Getting back to the subject of the thread though I do like your ideas in these ADC/DVI conversions and as I have a load of old AGP graphics cards with the ADC connectors on them it might be a good use for them!

I'm thinking it might be nice to have them on an expansion card so that anyone wanting to convert in either direction could patch into them. E.g. if you want ADC to DVI you can have a small patch cable from an original ADC card to the converter and then take a main DVI from PC to display OR if you want to go DVI to ADC you have a small DVI patch cable and take a main ADC cable to the apple display. You could then also market them to real G4/G5 owners who wanted an extra DVI output but didn't want to have converter boxes lying around.
Yeah I was thinking about water cooling one of the future mods. Probably the G3. But that's too come.. it just costs so much money!

Also looking forward to see these kits. Sorry for not replying to your other post. I read it though. Sounds great.

And the ADC/DVI. Would be a nice design. Would need to be able to accommodate the largest cable housings. The separation between connectors on the card. Which would limit where you could out the external power and usb connections! It would also be good to be able to slot it into a free expansion slot. Obviously there would be no electrical connection. Which would simply be a case of having bear PCB. This stuff I use has tracks on the back so it wouldn't be the best. I want to get my hands on an etching kit. Learn that. But again. It's all about what money permits. :(

Gus said:
There are 2 differences between the pinouts.
I have ADC pin 3 connected to DVI pin 14 and DVI pin 16. As well as ADC pin C5 connected to DVI pin C5 and DVI pin 15.
They have no connection for ADC pin 13. ADC pin 11 connected to DVI pin 15.

Both adapters have been confirmed as working so I shall build a second using all the TMDS channels but leaving pin 3 disconnected and connect ADC pin 11 to DVI pin 15 too.

I really need to get myself a proper hack desktop. Shall be testing these adapters with my macbook air thunderbolt using a DVI adapter and a VGA adapter.

See attached pinout. Contains 2 pinouts. Both confirmed to be working.

EDIT: bold shows the correct pins. This post now conforms to the pinout attached! I do appologise for not proof reading before posting.
Upon inspecting the pinouts just before I commence this and also with the new found knowledge that all the shields and grounds in both ADC and DVI are in fact connected means that
1. I shall obviously connect DVI pin15 (GND) to any other Ground.
2. I shall still try with ADC pin3 (LED) connected to the ground. And possibly to only DVI pin 14 and DVI pin16 separately.

I have a feeling that the first pinout I used. Farthest left in the excel worksheet may be better. Just instead, collating all the ground together, including shields. Thus, simplifying the circuitry and soldering required.

Ps. Sorry far taking ages. Started work again, and have a few jobs to do around the house. But squeezing a quick 30 mins in now.
Gus

Just giving this a bump. Sorry it took me so long but update to post 1.

Impressive work and nice to see that you got it to work again.
Is the USB connector gone?

I have ordered the ADC connectors and are going to de sign a ready made PCB for this. Gonna take a while as it is many years since I have done that...

hhra said:
Impressive work and nice to see that you got it to work again.
Is the USB connector gone?

I have ordered the ADC connectors and are going to de sign a ready made PCB for this. Gonna take a while as it is many years since I have done that...

Sweet. I saw a guy who did that. He had custom PCBs made. Ordered the connector, dropped the sockets right in and it was perfect. Would be a nice solution rather than fiddling with all the wires!!! It is just so tricky with big fingers like mine!

As for the USB. Just now yes.
I have planned it so that the USB can either be all done internally connected to a mobo header, or externally through this "add on" board I speak of. The idea is that if you have a spare header great. If not can run it externally. However, if you have the internal header, I have put in a switch so that the external USB socket can just be run to another mobo header, meaning another USB socket.

I still need to assembly the "add on" board. Which will sit in the PCI slot next to this and have external USB and Power in. That's why there are wires hanging off the main board and also a temporary power header.

I think I will attached the add on board to one of the airport hacks. As the rear plate of those has lots of extra space and it would also be something most people will have in their computers.

Nice work Gus.

My internet connection is not blazing fast and you are right my Mac almost blew up with the new set of photos!

I think this will be useful to a good few people.

Bump again. I'm a bad man for it I know! :(

Anyway, finished it.

Remember check your adapters with a DMM before connecting to anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back