Intel 10900k
Graphics
Sapphire Radeon 5700xt
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have an Apple Cinema 27" Monitor with a combo Thunderbolt 1 and MagStrip chord. I want to continue using this monitor.

Is it possible to build a custom mac incorporating the Thunderbolt 1 portion of that chord?

Thanks in adavance

I have an Apple Cinema 27" Monitor with a combo Thunderbolt 1 and MagStrip chord. I want to continue using this monitor.

Is it possible to build a custom mac incorporating the Thunderbolt 1 portion of that chord?

Thanks in adavance

Or put another way, Thunderbolt 2 cables are backwards compatible. So can I build a hackintosh with a thunderbolt 2 card that will allow me to continue to use my Cinema Display Monitor.

Thanks

Sure. All you need is a Thunderbolt graphics output. If you get a motherboard with a Thunderbolt 3 output, you will need a Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter from Apple. I use an Asrock z370 motherboard with a Thunderbolt 3 add in card. Works fine with my Apple Thunderbolt display.

So just to be clear, are you telling me that I can continue to use a Thunderbolt 1 display with all subsequent versions of Thunderbolt (i.e. TB 2 and TB3) graphic outputs? Are TB3 and TB2 are both backward compatible? And I assume the caveat being that if I use a TB1 monitor in a TB2/3 graphic output that I would be subject to the limitations of TB1 (i.e. 10 Gbps versus 20Gbps versus 40Gbps) and I will no longer be able to use the MagStrip chord for power.

I have been trying to figure this out for a few weeks as my monitor has never been really used. It is in pristine condition and I want to build/buy a new Mac. The feedback I received from Apple was that I was likely not able to continue to use this monitor going forward as the TB1 connection was not compatible with TB2/3. I was dumbfounded.

So it sounds like I can even even use new Apple products as well with this monitor?

Thanks again.

And to be clear cdrhoek is that display a TB1 display or a TB2 display?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back