Contribute
Register

Apple Announces M1 Ultra CPU, Mac Studio and Studio Display

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the mac studio, but I don't feel the need to go out and buy this iteration. I just built a 12900k with 6800xt hack, and the performance is greater than the m1 max. A comparable unit would cost me $3200. I see no reason to make a move now. I'll wait until the m2 flavors come out. There will be at least one more macos version that supports Intel.
This is a very sound decision. I have the 14" M1 Max MacBook Pro and also an Asus ProArt Z690 Creator with i7-12700K. The MBP more than fills my mobile needs and the Asus more than fills my desktop needs. Because of the Asus, I am also in a position to skip the first generation Mac Studio.

However, anyone with sufficiently older components will be very well served by the Mac Studio.

This is a very sound decision. I have the 14" M1 Max MacBook Pro and also an Asus ProArt Z690 Creator with i7-12700K. The MBP more than fills my mobile needs and the Asus more than fills my desktop needs. Because of the Asus, I am also in a position to skip the first generation Mac Studio.

However, anyone with sufficiently older components will be very well served by the Mac Studio.
With a 9980XE + 64GB RAM + 6800XT + Optane 905p SSD would you update to M1 Max Mac Studio (by selling this hackintosh and not loosing too much money in the swap)?

Cool products..

I’m a major flight sim user though, and thus all this power doesn’t help me (as I need windows).

Bummer we can’t have it all in one anymore.

With a 9980XE + 64GB RAM + 6800XT + Optane 905p SSD would you update to M1 Max Mac Studio (by selling this hackintosh and not loosing too much money in the swap)?
That is still a very capable system.

If all of your workflows run very well on that system then there's not much of an incentive to upgrade.

You might still want to upgrade if...
  • ...smaller form factor is important, so you can free up floor space used by the current system
  • ...you want to move to Apple Silicon. The Mac Studio is a great jumping-in point
  • ...you use certain Thunderbolt devices such as Thunderbolt monitors that might be giving you all sorts of headaches on Hackintosh
Contraindications (er, reasons not to upgrade):
  • Anything more than 64GB requires moving to M1 Ultra that has a base price of $4000. If you wanted to upgrade your current system to 96GB or 128GB RAM, that would be immensely cheaper to do on your current system
  • Your 6800XT is still faster as a GPU than M1 Max or M1 Ultra. The dedicated encoders/decoders, however, push the M1 system above anything else. But notice that Apple does not publish gaming benchmarks in their Apple Silicon charts. The 6800XT will likely trounce the M1 silicon in all its variants when it comes to FPS.

Last edited:
And just to add the obvious to the above great post…

If windows gaming is important, obviously all the new ASi stuff is sort of a dealbreaker

M1 Ultra workstation with integrated CPU , GPU , memory , NVME etc for 3000$ or 4000$ ?
Upsss sorry but we take a lot of risk because when one component breaks down the computer can be thrown in the trash. Apple confuses smartphones with computers . Not everyone can afford to replace computer every two years .

Really frustrated they didn’t make a user accessible NVMe upgrade slot.

Their upcharges for storage are insanely overpriced

(Yes, I realize this is all on purpose..lock it down and charge through the nose for upgrades)

M1 Ultra workstation with integrated CPU , GPU , memory , NVME etc for 3000$ or 4000$ ?
Upsss sorry but we take a lot of risk because when one component breaks down the computer can be thrown in the trash. Apple confuses smartphones with computers . Not everyone can afford to replace computer every two years .

Apple has been integrating CPU, GPU, memory, SSD on a single board for years on iPhones, iPads, and laptops. I have yet to see any widespread problems.

Apple has been integrating CPU, GPU, memory, SSD on a single board for years on iPhones, iPads, and laptops. I have yet to see any widespread problems.
You havent seen a broken iphone ? Yes You can throw away iphone and buy a new one. But we can talk about more expensive computers...I expected that my workstation works about 10 years ) Of course I can replace SSD , power supply but not all computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back