Contribute
Register

Apple Announces M1 Ultra CPU, Mac Studio and Studio Display

I was close to order it as well, but then I checked specs and find out that it has only 60hz refresh rate, for 1600$ price range don't have 120hz is crux of the problem. ;D
Because I don’t play video games, higher refresh rates are not a necessity for me. My 14” MacBook Pro has ProMotion with variable refresh rate as high as 120Hz, but I haven’t noticed the difference. I love the image quality on my two 4K 27” monitors, one from BenQ and the other from Asus. But they cannot compete on build quality, features, and design language compared to the Studio Display.

P.S. The $4999 Pro Display XDR 6K monitor is also 60Hz.

Last edited:
Here's what really makes the Studio Display stand out from any other 4/5K monitors on the market.
The Studio display integrates an A13 chip to provide rich integration and features, including powering the speaker system and a Center Stage-enabled webcam.

Unlike the Pro Display XDR, Apple Studio Display includes a webcam for video calls. The ultra wide 12-megapixel webcam includes support for Center Stage, the first time the feature has been available on the Mac platform.

The Studio Display also includes a three microphone array and a six speaker array with support to output a Dolby Atmos soundstage.
I've watched many YT channels that make videos about all the gear they use to record their videos or live stream videos. They spend a lot of money on cameras, mics etc. Many times more than the cost of the new Studio Display. The majority of them don't have a camera man to work with them. Some have a rats nest of cables everywhere. They have a lapel mic they must wear etc. This new Studio Display from Apple could really make their setups simpler and a lot less expensive while still providing great audio/video quality for their channel content. They can even have their script on the screen right in front of them. How much does a tele-prompter cost ?

For Apple's business/enterprise customers, it's a great idea too. No more low quality webcams with poor mics sitting on top of monitors that don't have them built in. For customers like these, I don't see the price as excessive. This is hardware that should easily be useful for 10 years plus. For my needs it might be good enough for the next 15-20 years. Some Apple Cinema Displays built in 2004 work perfectly well today. They had a 30" model back in 2010 which had a 2560 x 1600p resolution. Still good even today when 1080p is standard.

Apple didn't hit the magical $999 price point but look at the A13, the Webcam, speakers and Mics you get. Those alone make the price increase justifiable. I hear a lot of people complaining that it's not 7K or better. Really no need for that high of a native resolution. You are still going to be reading text on the screen, how is that even possible at a full 7 or 8K resolution ? Also who can even tell the difference between a 5K and 7K resolution. I certainly can't when it's on a 27" display. A 77" plus television ? Maybe up close.

1646826300824.png

Last edited:
Still hoping for a 8K ProMotion Pro Display XDR although I can’t afford.

Here's a 2010 Cinema Display with a 1440p resolution. Retail price of $999.

Screen Shot 19.jpg

Same monitor in original box, excellent condition for $599 on Ebay. You'll always be able to resell an Apple Studio display if it's in good condition and works. The average price today is about $300 for most of these 2010 Cinema Displays. So if you paid $999 in July 2010 and sold yours for $300 in 2022, the cost of ownership was $58.25 per year for the 12 years of use. Not bad.

Screen Shot 20.jpg

Last edited:
Just wonder why the new monitor is not 8k just go back to 5k
Because it's Studio, not Studio Pro :D You can only imagine price of 8K ;D ..

Because I don’t play video games, higher refresh rates are not a necessity for me. My 14” MacBook Pro has ProMotion with variable refresh rate as high as 120Hz, but I haven’t noticed the difference. I love the image quality on my two 4K 27” monitors, one from BenQ and the other from Asus. But they cannot compete on build quality, features, and design language compared to the Studio Display.

P.S. The $4999 Pro Display XDR 6K monitor is also 60Hz.
Yeah, I checked that after I post, it is really surprising that Pro display for 6K has 60hz. And games not the only thing for 120hz. For example this year I purchased LG 27GN950-B (4K@144hz) monitor and I can say that mouse movement and video/movie watching experience much much faster, and now even when I look to my 60hz monitor video or mouse movement it feels like lag ;D. So in my opinion it's really better to get G 27GN950-B, which costs 900$ cheaper compared to Studio display.

First time I've ever seen an RGB monitor. You can now get RGB lights on everything in your build except the CPU. Maybe AMD will be the first to do that. Intel never will. I don't think Apple will ever sell anything with RGB either. It's a fad that just won't go away.

1646832758301.png

Last edited:
They said the M1 Ultra GPU is 80% or 1.8x faster than a W6900X. If the M1 Ultra GPU is twice as fast as the M1 Max it would make its Metal Geekbench score 128,000 but a W6900X has a Metal score of 170,000. Even with better cooling on the desktop version I don't see how the M1 Ultra can be nearly twice as fast.

edit: OK I worked it out. Apple is using the Affinity Photo benchmark: "Tested with Affinity Photo 1.10.4 using the built-in benchmark version 11021."

r/applesucks - Apple selected benchmark vs Geekbench benchmark M1 Ultra GPU vs W6900X
Hmmm, ti be honest I think Apple just didn’t said the entire true, I bought a Macbook Pro M1 Max 16 Max Out 64GB ram, and in some cases redshift it performs like a rtx 3050 the laptop versión really bad, i tested in the cases at the begining where apple said that the performance was better and was not true, but well time to tine arriving software updates the performanxe is improving and right now it is performing like a rtx 3070 laptop version. Take that Apple Claims with precaution, some are true other are lies. I had that experience…

I think the Mac Pro will unveil the M2 chip in form of the M2 Ultra.

From what we have heard, the M2 has 10 GPU cores max instead of 8 as on M1. Its cpu core should also be 10% faster.

M1 Pro was double the gpu core Count vs M1
And M1 Max was double that of of the Pro.

M2 Pro = 20 GPU cores
M2 Max = 40
M2 Ultra = 80 cores, 25% more than Studio / M1 Ultra.

That does not take into account improvements on the cores themselves / architecture and improved node.

I suspect the M2 Ultra will have at least 50-100% improved gpu power. The cpu core will be on par with Intel Alder Lake performance core, at a fraction of the power.

Which roughly means:
Mac Mini M2 will be like an Alder Lake 12600K-12700K with roughly AMD 6800 at much less wattage
M2 Pro, same CPU with 6800 XT
M2 Max, same with 6900 XT - 6900 XT x1.5
M2 Ultra, same with 6900 XT x 1.5 - x2

Ultimately, M2 will be awesome!

After buying the 14" M1 Max MacBook Pro late last year and setting it on a vertical dock, the only thing missing was an amazing Apple-designed monitor to go with it.

That problem has now been solved! Delivery expected March 18. :)
  • 5K pixels
  • Solid aluminum build (finally)
  • Thunderbolt with 96W power delivery, perfect for 14" MacBook Pro
  • Three USB-C ports
  • 12 megapixel ultra wide angle camera with Center Stage
  • 6 speakers (Apple's built-in speakers are unmatched in the industry)
  • 600 nits brightness
  • True Tone

View attachment 543395
Beatiful!

Back