Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm interested in building a Hackintosh (I have built a PC before) as an alternative to getting the Mac Mini 2012 or waiting for the Mac Mini upgrade.

Am I better off getting a Mac Mini or go for Hackintosh? I'm using this for my group's studio, so how reliable and stable is the Hackintosh if I get the right hardware? Last thing I need is the computer to not function correctly during a session or going down for hours or even days unable to work on my music. I do need more power than the Mini can offer for even cheaper.

I use Logic Pro, Maschine MK2 and plan on getting an Apollo Twin, so I'm needing to get a Gigabyte Thunderbolt motherboard. Which would you guys recommend? And for other parts?

I wanna keep this thread alive so that when I do get the compatible hardware and getting it functioning other people or I may be able to troubleshoot for using a Hackintosh with the Apollo Twin.

I'm interested in building a Hackintosh (I have built a PC before) as an alternative to getting the Mac Mini 2012 or waiting for the Mac Mini upgrade.

Am I better off getting a Mac Mini or go for Hackintosh? I'm using this for my group's studio, so how reliable and stable is the Hackintosh if I get the right hardware? Last thing I need is the computer to not function correctly during a session or going down for hours or even days unable to work on my music. I do need more power than the Mini can offer for even cheaper.

I use Logic Pro, Maschine MK2 and plan on getting an Apollo Twin, so I'm needing to get a Gigabyte Thunderbolt motherboard. Which would you guys recommend? And for other parts?

I wanna keep this thread alive so that when I do get the compatible hardware and getting it functioning other people or I may be able to troubleshoot for using a Hackintosh with the Apollo Twin.

Take a look at the 1st 2 boards listed here http://www.tonymacx86.com/416-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-march-2014.html#motherboards

They both have Thunderbolt onboard. The UD5-TH is the more affordable option and likely the best choice for your needs. With a 30 dollar rebate on it till the 31st it's about the best price you'll find
on that model. Then get one of the I5-4670 K cpus and you've got a great start for a DAW.

Look for other compatible parts for your build in the other sections of the Guide and also look at the music section.

Take a look at the 1st 2 boards listed here http://www.tonymacx86.com/416-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-march-2014.html#motherboards

They both have Thunderbolt onboard. The UD5-TH is the more affordable option and likely the best choice for your needs. With a 30 dollar rebate on it till the 31st it's about the best price you'll find
on that model. Then get one of the I5-4670 K cpus and you've got a great start for a DAW.

Look for other compatible parts for your build in the other sections of the Guide and also look at the music section.

How is the overall stability and reliability? Obviously I plan to get the most compatible hardware and make sure I follow through the guides given. Should I stress about something not working later on, or not working?

How is the overall stability and reliability? Obviously I plan to get the most compatible hardware and make sure I follow through the guides given. Should I stress about something not working later on, or not working?

There's a very easy fix for the Thunderbolt, other than that everything should work 100% if you follow the install guides here. Check out Steelsam's guide on how to get Th working:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...tionality-ga-z87x-ud5-th-other-tb-boards.html

I'm about to drop 1150 on the March's Buyer's Guide... I'm really trippin if this is going to work because that is quite alot of money and I don't want to have a workstation that doesn't work -.-

Should I wait for April's Buyer's Guide instead btw?

I'm about to drop 1150 on the March's Buyer's Guide... I'm really trippin if this is going to work because that is quite alot of money and I don't want to have a workstation that doesn't work -.-

Should I wait for April's Buyer's Guide instead btw?

For what you'll be getting in terms of hardware performance it's not that expensive.
No need to wait for the April Guide to come out. If you stay close to the outlined
builds in the March B.G. it will be easy to get working.

I ended up grabbing a CPU INTEL|CORE I7 4770K 3.5G... You recommended an I5. Will there be any major differences or complications to grabbing that specific CPU? I did grab it from the March Buyers Guide so I wouldn't think so, but I hope not.

I ended up grabbing a CPU INTEL|CORE I7 4770K 3.5G... You recommended an I5. Will there be any major differences or complications to grabbing that specific CPU? I did grab it from the March Buyers Guide so I wouldn't think so, but I hope not.

No problem - you just have a bit more power and hyperthreading over the i5. i7 Will work just as well and with the k version you have the option to overclock.

No problem - you just have a bit more power and hyperthreading over the i5. i7 Will work just as well and with the k version you have the option to overclock.

Thanks. I actually got built my build today with the Gigabyte UD5 TH and got Multibeast to allow OS X to boot without the thumb drive. I used the No DSDT config and installed all the files from Multibeast but the Audio is not working.
What can I do to fix this?

One thing to note is that I didn't have internet connected to the hack so I was not able to do the full installation and registration. Plus Wifi and Bluetooth is not working. And I plan on installing Windows 8 on a second hard drive to install and update the Bios and get Thunderbolt working.

I'm also now reporting that my computer shuts down seconds after I turn it on and powers itself back on again and keeps repeating the same cycle. I'm not seeing anything on my tv to show that it's booting or anything. So now I'm even more stuck. I just got back home where I built my computer at my fams and it was working there and I also installed an extra Ram stick before I left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back