Contribute
Register

APFS Volumes under Mojave self destructed twice. I no longer trust APFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
GTX 1070 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So I wanted to warn anyone who may have Mojave on their system. The install automatically creates an APFS volume system on the destination drive. I didn't think much about it because I've had High Sierra running on a real Mac ( MacPro5,1 12-core ) since it came out and it's been really stable. Well I no longer trust APFS. I have no idea what happened but my main boot drive Mojave and my second hard drive that I brought over from my MacPro both died at same time. I was running Mojave and the screen just went crazy. Then blacked out. So I re-booted. I could not boot into either of the two drives. They were not even showing up in Clover. Weirdly enough the EFI boot volume with Clover still worked, but the APFS volume was corrupt. Not even disk utility could fix it. And this is both drives. The main boot drive is an NVME SSD 1tb. The second drive is a 1tb 2.5" SSD. And in both cases only the APFS volumes died. I have a total of 7 hard drives on this system. The windows drives were fine. My 4tb backup drive is fine. And the other volumes that are HFS+ drives are all fine. Only the APFS volumes were affected. Well I wiped the APFS volumes and restored from backup yesterday. After a few reboots later, while I was setting things back up, they both died again. And only them. So now I'm running HFS+ on both drives. I do not trust APFS to be stable at all. And as I said disk utility was useless with it.

I write this as a warning.

I've seen other posts online about similar disasters. I'm worried that Mojave requires APFS. I'm currently running High Sierra just to be safe. I would love to know if anyone else has had this problem. I urge anyone considering moving to Mojave to have a good stable clean backup to be safe.

I have frustration with APFS as well.. In order to install Adobe products, you need APFS (case-insensitive), in order to build Sony ASOP you need APFS (case sensitive) :banghead::crazy:

Error from make command:
22:14:29 ************************************************************
22:14:29 You are building on a case-insensitive filesystem.
22:14:29 Please move your source tree to a case-sensitive filesystem.
22:14:29 ************************************************************
22:14:29 Case-insensitive filesystems not supported

Wow!!!. That's insane. Really dumb to even care about the file structure. Most basic users wont even know what the hell the error is reporting. And to have conflicting requirements on top of that... Really poorly considered on behalf of the developer(s). Im actually kind of shocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back