Contribute
Register

APFS-Clonezilla Clone procedure

Then there is something wrong with your setup. A full CCC clone from ssd to nvme, or the other way round, takes anything from 7 to 14 minutes, depending on the make of the storage medium used.

Then there is something wrong with your setup. A full CCC clone from ssd to nvme, or the other way round, takes anything from 7 to 14 minutes, depending on the make of the storage medium used.
Are you using the legacy method in CCC?
Are they bootable backups?

Do you boot into the OS that you are making a backup of?

The answers to all your questions is a clear yes.

You would be in the rarity because most people aren't getting this functioning. That's why we're shocked

No I do not believe so because I just follow the CCC instructions, create clones as required whenever I consider cloning to be essential. When these clones are then needed to restore a baulked upgrade or whatever I "play" a previously backed up clone "back" whenever I need to with CCC , whereafter they are fully functional and bootable. For me a much more efficient backup/restore functionally than for instance Time Machine has ever been during my many years of "hacking"

Regards Henties

Are you using the legacy method in CCC?
Are they bootable backups?

Do you boot into the OS that you are making a backup of?

What is the "legacy" method?

The confusion arises because in CCC "legacy" means two contradictory approaches:

1— the use of CCC built-in copy engine (legacy means pre-mid-Catalina and the SSV)
vs.
2— CCC invoking Apple APFS replicator (a.k.a. "Legacy Bootable Copy Assistant").

CCC will only clone SSV (Signed System Volumes, mid Catalina and later system volume) with the APFS Replicator, and this requires completely reformatiing the target, which can be a different size from the source.

Should we assume "clear yes" means 2?

BTW—You need to be booted from the source or the Replicator result may not work.

Correct 2 is what I am using.
Correct --> You need to be booted from the source or the Replicator result may not work.

Long time ago I phased out all my HDD's and replaced them with NVMe's and SSDs. For the creation of bootable backups with CCC I use one of the phased out 2 TB HDDs APFS formatted with each macOS ie. Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma being a volume group of the 2 TB APFS HDD. When I need to restore or revert to an earlier incarnation of one of the macOSes the process is just reversed. It works like a dream and has never failed me, it certainly beats Time Machine hands down.

I maintain backups like this for four machines (hacks) with each one having a dedicated 2 TB HDD for live OS backup
purposes, in other words I maintain 16 macOSes in this manner. Before I upgrade any macOS I always ensure to generate a working backup onto the HDD in order that I can revert should the need arise, which happens every now and then.

Back