i3-10105T
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Clonezilla now supports APFS: If the goal is to migrate an Opencored 128GB SSD to a 1TB SSD with Clonezilla. What is the procedure / must be done to inform the Clone that it is a 1TB SSD and not 128GB?

@gatorback I just don't understand your problem at all because to me there is just no problem migrating an APFS volume to a larger or even smaller storage medium, as long as there is enough room to fit ALL the data of ALL the volumes in a common APFS container.

An APFS volume in a container of a given size can be migrated to an APFS container of a different size, you can even have multiple volumes - volume groups - in a container with all volumes sharing the total storage space available and as managed by their common container.

I do this all the time because that is certainly the most compelling feature of Apples's APFS file system.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Greetings Henties

Oh just as an afterthought:

I would never entrust my APFS resident data to a program - Clonezilla - that has just recently jumped onto the APFS bandwagon. Give the Clonezilla coders some time to fully come to grips with the demands of the intricacies of Apple's APFS filesystem.

My data is worth much more to me than allowing it to be used for guinea pig purposes by the clonezilla coders.

Last edited:
I would like to migrate from 1TB to a 2TB drive (Opencore). I am able to format the 2TB SSD as APFS and copy over the EFI file. It would be nice if Clonezilla (or equivalent) could clone the rest of the contes.

Not going to work as a straight clone. Even Carbon Copy Cloner can't do this with APFS formatted drives.

You would be best served undertaking the following:
  1. Clean install maCOS to the new drive.
  2. Copy your current OpenCore EFI folder to the EFI Partition on your APFS formatted 2TB macOS drive.
  3. Use Apple's Migration Assistant to move/copy your User profile, files, docs, apps and settings from the 1TB drive or a Time Machine backup to the new macOS drive.

@Edhawk Thank you for the sage counsel. I thought it would please you to know that the migration was successfully performed with your procedure.

Always good to know I'm not spouting rubbish. Glad to hear it helped.

I am not sure if there may be an OSX version specific issue, but I just cloned my Catalina drive two days ago with Clonezilla and I booted into the cloned drive (with the original removed from the system) like it was the original drive I have been running for 4years... Not sure what APFS issues others may be having. Download the latest Clonezilla.

Hi @Edhawk, I differ because I fully clone any of my macOS installation all the time with CCC, without ever having

encountered any problems.

2 x Big Sur
4 x Monterey
4 x Ventura
4 x Sonoma 14.0

Greetings Henties

I would like to migrate from 1TB to a 2TB drive (Opencore). I am able to format the 2TB SSD as APFS and copy over the EFI file. It would be nice if Clonezilla (or equivalent) could clone the rest of the contes.

IMO, it's easiest to use the built-in tools in macOS. Just do a Time Machine restore.

Hi @Edhawk, I differ because I fully clone any of my macOS installation all the time with CCC, without ever having

encountered any problems.

2 x Big Sur
4 x Monterey
4 x Ventura
4 x Sonoma 14.0

Greetings Henties
Is that with the legacy method in CCC? And they are Bootable?

I just tried with a Ventura backup and it was taking forever. Nvme ssd to nvme ssd, and 150gbs took 3hrs. I stopped it at that point.

Back