i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello everyone,
Happy to join this community! I am just getting ready to do my first build. I will mainly be using it for enthusiast photo and video editing (Adobe and Final Cut Pro X), digital audio (Logic Pro X), and a bit of beginner neural network building (I hope).

Pretty much have all my hardware picked out (I think) but I am having trouble deciding between the Aorus Z390-I Pro Wifi and the Asus ROG STRIX Z390-I. Planning to be running i7-8700K.

As far as I can tell the Asus seems to be a bit better, but I am not sure it is worth the extra price.

Hope this much more experienced audience could offer me some advice on the which motherboard to choose, and any thoughts on my other hardware choices as far as current compatibility.

My other hardware choices thus far are:
GeForce GTX 1060 6G
NZXT H200 mini-ITX case
Seasonic 650W Prime Ultra
Corsair H60 120mm
HP EX920 512G M.2 NVme SSD (x2)
Samsung 860 Evo 500G (already owned)
Kingston DDR4 3000 32G (16Gx2)

Thank you kindly for any advice!

Hello everyone,
Happy to join this community! I am just getting ready to do my first build. I will mainly be using it for enthusiast photo and video editing (Adobe and Final Cut Pro X), digital audio (Logic Pro X), and a bit of beginner neural network building (I hope).

Pretty much have all my hardware picked out (I think) but I am having trouble deciding between the Aorus Z390-I Pro Wifi and the Asus ROG STRIX Z390-I. Planning to be running i7-8700K.

As far as I can tell the Asus seems to be a bit better, but I am not sure it is worth the extra price.

Hope this much more experienced audience could offer me some advice on the which motherboard to choose, and any thoughts on my other hardware choices as far as current compatibility.

My other hardware choices thus far are:
GeForce GTX 1060 6G
NZXT H200 mini-ITX case
Seasonic 650W Prime Ultra
Corsair H60 120mm
HP EX920 512G M.2 NVme SSD (x2)
Samsung 860 Evo 500G (already owned)
Kingston DDR4 3000 32G (16Gx2)

Thank you kindly for any advice!

The GTX 1060 is not supported in MacOS Mojave at this time due to the lack of Nvidia web drivers. You are restricted to High Sierra at this point. No idea if and when Nvidia will release those drivers.

I recommend switching to a RX 580 for native MacOS support.

The GTX 1060 is not supported in MacOS Mojave at this time due to the lack of Nvidia web drivers. You are restricted to High Sierra at this point. No idea if and when Nvidia will release those drivers.

I recommend switching to a RX 580 for native MacOS support.
I was planning to run High Sierra for that current compatibility issue. I require Nvidia as they are currently the only gpu that works with CUDA for machine learning.

This also raises another interesting point about MacOS. Is there some advantage to running the latest MacOS version? I found the performance on my MacBook Pro to decrease every time I upgraded the OS. Currently I'm still running El Cap with no plans of upgrading.

I was planning to run High Sierra for that current compatibility issue. I require Nvidia as they are currently the only gpu that works with CUDA for machine learning.

This also raises another interesting point about MacOS. Is there some advantage to running the latest MacOS version? I found the performance on my MacBook Pro to decrease every time I upgraded the OS. Currently I'm still running El Cap with no plans of upgrading.

I see, so you have no choice but to run High Sierra with a Nvidia GPU.

I guess you have had your Macbook Pro for quite some time? If so its hardware (CPU, GPU, RAM) may not be up to specs for new versions of MacOS. I have a 2012 Mac mini on which I have installed Sierra and High Sierra, and it still works fine, but not great. I am planning to replace it with a 2018 Mac mini soon.

El Capitan is already out of support and will not receive any further security updates, meaning that any newly discovered security vulnerabilities will not be patched. Sierra will also be out of support after September this year, once the new MacOS 10.15 is released, if Apple sticks to its release calendar for the past few years.

I see, so you have no choice but to run High Sierra with a Nvidia GPU.

I guess you have had your Macbook Pro for quite some time? If so its hardware (CPU, GPU, RAM) may not be up to specs for new versions of MacOS. I have a 2012 Mac mini on which I have installed Sierra and High Sierra, and it still works fine, but not great. I am planning to replace it with a 2018 Mac mini soon.

El Capitan is already out of support and will not receive any further security updates, meaning that any newly discovered security vulnerabilities will not be patched. Sierra will also be out of support after September this year, once the new MacOS 10.15 is released, if Apple sticks to its release calendar for the past few years.
Yes, it's a mid 2012 non-retina. I've upgraded the hard drive to ssd and plan to up the ram from 8 to 16gb. Still runs quite well, but there's always that security patch issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back