Graphics
na
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey I was wondering if there were anyways I could use media monkey or tonec internet download manager on my mac? Both of these dont have mac support is there a program I can install to use windows applications? Thanks

There are two ways of running Windows programs on OSX86:

WINE is an open-source Windows compatibility layer that can be used to run some Windows programs on POSIX operating systems (which includes OSX86 versions). It is not 100% reliable, and it is not the fastest performance, because it has to convert Windows API calls to POSIX calls on the fly. But if the apps you want to run will work well in WINE this would give you the best overall integration. WINE is Free/Open Source Software and installs as an application into OSX, so there should be no harm in giving it a try.

See: http://www.winehq.org

The other method is to actually run MS-Windows in a Virtual Machine on your Mac. This involves selecting and acquiring your choice of Virtual Machine host programs (such as Parallels, VMWare Fusion or VirtualBox. Of these choices I've used VMWare (under Windows, not OSX) and Oracle VirtualBox (under both Windows and OSX) and they work well for what they do. All of these programs also install as an application into OSX, and so can be uninstalled cleanly if no longer wanted. Parallels and Fusion are commercial ($$$) products while VirtualBox is GPL (free) software. If you elect to go this route I'd certainly give VirtualBox a try as it runs just as well as the others, IMO.

See: https://www.virtualbox.org

The benefit of VM is that the software sees a real Windows machine, so all the API's and hardware hooks are present. The disadvantage is that the program is sandboxed to its own virtual disk and memory (though you can setup shared disks with OSX and then use an HFS+ driver within the Windows VM to get files in and out).

Look at both and formulate some opinions, then come back and ask any questions. I'll try to answer as best I can.

There are two ways of running Windows programs on OSX86:

WINE is an open-source Windows compatibility layer that can be used to run some Windows programs on POSIX operating systems (which includes OSX86 versions). It is not 100% reliable, and it is not the fastest performance, because it has to convert Windows API calls to POSIX calls on the fly. But if the apps you want to run will work well in WINE this would give you the best overall integration. WINE is Free/Open Source Software and installs as an application into OSX, so there should be no harm in giving it a try.

See: http://www.winehq.org

The other method is to actually run MS-Windows in a Virtual Machine on your Mac. This involves selecting and acquiring your choice of Virtual Machine host programs (such as Parallels, VMWare Fusion or VirtualBox. Of these choices I've used VMWare (under Windows, not OSX) and Oracle VirtualBox (under both Windows and OSX) and they work well for what they do. All of these programs also install as an application into OSX, and so can be uninstalled cleanly if no longer wanted. Parallels and Fusion are commercial ($$$) products while VirtualBox is GPL (free) software. If you elect to go this route I'd certainly give VirtualBox a try as it runs just as well as the others, IMO.

See: https://www.virtualbox.org

The benefit of VM is that the software sees a real Windows machine, so all the API's and hardware hooks are present. The disadvantage is that the program is sandboxed to its own virtual disk and memory (though you can setup shared disks with OSX and then use an HFS+ driver within the Windows VM to get files in and out).

Look at both and formulate some opinions, then come back and ask any questions. I'll try to answer as best I can.

Thank you! The second option sounds perfect...So I'll have to buy a copy of windows 7 or 8?

I don't quite understand the what you said in the last paragraph... What do you mean its sandboxed by its own virtual disk and memory? I have a 2nd HDD that I just use for data and I run ML off of an ssd which one should I install windows too?

First of all, yes, you will need to buy a copy of Windows, and I believe you actually need Windows Pro (have never tried to use Windows Home in a VM). I would suggest Windows 7 Pro, as Windows 8 to me is garbage.

You need to understand a few terms:

VM = Virtual Machine
VM Supervisor = the application that allows you to create and run VM's
Host = Your base computer, i.e., your Mac (or PC)
Guest OS = Operating System installed in a VM

What I mean by the last paragraph is VM's work like this:

1. You install a Supervisor program (such as VirtualBox) on your Mac.
  2. You launch the Supervisor and tell it you want to create a new VM.
    • You specify how many CPU cores,
    • how much physical ram,
    • what size virtual disk you want to allocate to the new VM, and
    • whether you want to pre-allocate all that disk space up-front, or start with a smaller amount and grow the disk up to the maximum specified as the VM requires more storage space.
  3. The Supervisor creates a file in your normal filesystem to hold the virtual disk.
  4. You can then "boot" the VM and install the desired Guest operating system into the virtual disk.

All the files you write to the virtual disk go into the virtual disk file (VMDK, VDI or VHD format file, with VMDK being the most compatible across different VM Hosts). The contents of the virtual disk file are not normally accessible outside of the VM. So you can't easily move files from your Mac filesystem into the VMDK or visa-versa. There is (or was, I never used it) a free utility from VMWare, the VMDK Mount Utility, that allowed you to mount VMDK files as a disk under Windows and OSX.

You can also configure the VM to share access to your Host filesystem as an additional drive. I've never used this feature either, so I don't know what limitations exist.

Finally, assuming you configure a network connection in your VM, you can transfer files through network shares or applications such as FTP or SFTP (which is generally how I transfer files, since I mostly use VM's on servers).

I hope this helped you out.

I think the two programs you mentioned in your original post aren't useful to run in a Windows virtual environment. One seems to be a media player and the other manages downloaded files. Typically both programs would only be able to access files that exist on your Windows drive/container, unless you specifically configured the Windows VM to access the files that exist on your Mac hard drive.

As an alternative, I suggest finding equivalent Mac programs such as iTunes (Apple) or Plex http://www.plexapp.com/

I've never used a download manager that wasn't part of a web browser - so I can't suggest a Mac alternative to tonec. Maybe another forum member has a suggestion.

First of all, yes, you will need to buy a copy of Windows, and I believe you actually need Windows Pro (have never tried to use Windows Home in a VM). I would suggest Windows 7 Pro, as Windows 8 to me is garbage.

FWIW, I am running Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) in a VirtualBox VM in OS X (10.8.2) with no problems. The Win7 VM sees all of my networked devices including a wireless printer.

-bth

You need to understand a few terms:

VM = Virtual Machine
VM Supervisor = the application that allows you to create and run VM's
Host = Your base computer, i.e., your Mac (or PC)
Guest OS = Operating System installed in a VM

What I mean by the last paragraph is VM's work like this:

1. You install a Supervisor program (such as VirtualBox) on your Mac.
  2. You launch the Supervisor and tell it you want to create a new VM.
    • You specify how many CPU cores,
    • how much physical ram,
    • what size virtual disk you want to allocate to the new VM, and
    • whether you want to pre-allocate all that disk space up-front, or start with a smaller amount and grow the disk up to the maximum specified as the VM requires more storage space.
  3. The Supervisor creates a file in your normal filesystem to hold the virtual disk.
  4. You can then "boot" the VM and install the desired Guest operating system into the virtual disk.

All the files you write to the virtual disk go into the virtual disk file (VMDK, VDI or VHD format file, with VMDK being the most compatible across different VM Hosts). The contents of the virtual disk file are not normally accessible outside of the VM. So you can't easily move files from your Mac filesystem into the VMDK or visa-versa. There is (or was, I never used it) a free utility from VMWare, the VMDK Mount Utility, that allowed you to mount VMDK files as a disk under Windows and OSX.

You can also configure the VM to share access to your Host filesystem as an additional drive. I've never used this feature either, so I don't know what limitations exist.

Finally, assuming you configure a network connection in your VM, you can transfer files through network shares or applications such as FTP or SFTP (which is generally how I transfer files, since I mostly use VM's on servers).

I hope this helped you out.

How many CPU cores and ram do I use? Also will this slow my computer down? Should I buy more ram I have 8gb now

Thanks it helped a lot.

I like Parallels for Mac the most, it's the easiest to use and works great. I use it for Mountain Lion and Windows 8.

Here is Parallels: http://www.parallels.com

And this website shows easy instructions on how to install it if you need help: http://appducate.com/2013/06/run-all-windows-programs-on-mac-os-x-with-parallels/

Using it as a full screen app the a must.

Curious about your use of Parallels. I'm a long-time user of VMWare Fusion, but recently got a good deal on the purchase of most recent version of Parallels. For some reason, I'm not allowed to select more than 1 CPU in the Parallels > settings drop-down list when installed on my Music Studio 2.0 build (see link below). In VMWare on the same machine, the settings allow me to choose 1, 2, 4, or 8 CPUs.

FYI, I do have Intel Virtualization setting in the UEFI enabled. I am currently also running this new version of Parallels on my 2011 MBP machine and this option seems to work correctly.

Appreciate any insights you might have - TIA!
--B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back