Contribute
Register

AnySolution for only one resolution showing on GTX 460 card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth z97 Mk2/3.1usb
CPU
I7-4790k
Graphics
nvidia gtx 960 sc
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac mini
OK...I've been defeated for the moment by this card. Searching the forums hasn't revealed any solutions other than some 460 cards work and others don't and those that do get the fermi freeze.

I had a working hackintosh running 10.6.8 and the GTX 460 card. I made the mistake of "fixing" something that wasn't broken. I know...I know...I should have left it alone but was prepping for Lion and trying to find the cause to the freeze I was getting (turned out to be the fermi freeze which I didn't know existed).

I cleaned up my boot.plist, chimera, audio rollback, IOPCI fix, usb 3 using multibeast 3.8. I then installed the official nvidia drivers linked from the download page tonymacx86. Reboot yielded one resolution for my monitor and no display being recognized.

I went thru several steps including:
• using my old boot.plist and extra folder. I get a Kernel Panic (may be the IOPCI).
• made sure nvenabler.kext is gone
• reinstalling 10.6.8 combo, multibeast, nvidia and CUDA
• injecting EFI string to force the card to be recognize including the adapters

I can boot in but the card has no hardware acceleration (i.e. no dashboard widget 'splash' when dragging a new widget) and I can only get one resolution.

The frustrating thing is that I had the resolutions working earlier this week as well as HW acceleration.

Any ideas?
=======
My mobo: X58a-udr3 rev 1 f5 firmware
Here's my card info from System Profiler:
GeForce GTX 460 SE:

Chipset Model: GeForce GTX 460 SE
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0e23
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 70.04.29.00.62
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Display Connector:

Same **** just happened to me too with MultiBeast 3.8! ****!

Same thing here. Updated to .8. Now I'm pulling my hair out.

Khanaset said:
volcan96 said:
OK...I've been defeated for the moment by this card. Searching the forums hasn't revealed any solutions other than some 460 cards work and others don't and those that do get the fermi freeze.

I had a working hackintosh running 10.6.8 and the GTX 460 card. I made the mistake of "fixing" something that wasn't broken. I know...I know...I should have left it alone but was prepping for Lion and trying to find the cause to the freeze I was getting (turned out to be the fermi freeze which I didn't know existed).

I cleaned up my boot.plist, chimera, audio rollback, IOPCI fix, usb 3 using multibeast 3.8. I then installed the official nvidia drivers linked from the download page tonymacx86. Reboot yielded one resolution for my monitor and no display being recognized.

I went thru several steps including:
• using my old boot.plist and extra folder. I get a Kernel Panic (may be the IOPCI).
• made sure nvenabler.kext is gone
• reinstalling 10.6.8 combo, multibeast, nvidia and CUDA
• injecting EFI string to force the card to be recognize including the adapters

I can boot in but the card has no hardware acceleration (i.e. no dashboard widget 'splash' when dragging a new widget) and I can only get one resolution.

The frustrating thing is that I had the resolutions working earlier this week as well as HW acceleration.

Any ideas?
=======
My mobo: X58a-udr3 rev 1 f5 firmware
Here's my card info from System Profiler:
GeForce GTX 460 SE:

Chipset Model: GeForce GTX 460 SE
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0e23
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 70.04.29.00.62
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Display Connector:

Hrm, I don't know if this helps at all, but I have been 100% unable to get my card (a GTX 470) to work with the current NVidia drivers. Even post-10.6.8 install, I have had to use the previous rev of the drivers (the last ones bundled with Multibeast prior to the current release) to get things working properly again.

nOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN... tHE nVENABLER FROM THE OLDER MULTIBEAST AND AND OLDER VERSION OF NVIDIA DRIVERS? oops... I dont touch type

I use EFI string injection to get my card fully supported (nothing else gives me the full range of ports, power management, and full capabilities), so I don't use NVenabler or GraphicsEnabler in the bootloader. I mean the older version of the NVidia drivers - rev 256.02. With the newer drivers, I either get a black screen (no output on any ports) or the default 'undetected card' resolution. I extracted the kexts from Multibeast 3.7.2, but I imagine you could find the actual installer out there somewhere.[/quote]

What do you mean EFI injector? where in the post is there directions on how to do this? I have a GTS 450. The issues I am having is its just the bare minimums and I know its due to no proper drivers. However your solution sounds like its different than drivers.

Khanaset said:
Take a look at josh's guide to getting dual 470's working here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8660

Obviously, things will need to be changed to account for the fact that you only have one card, and that it's not a 470, but it provides a good overall view on how to pass information about your video card via EFI string injection. Note that this is not a replacement for drivers - you will still need to install the NVidia kexts. As I said, I can't get the newest rev to work, but your results may vary.

Thanks I will give this a try tonight.... going to go see transformers after work

Priorities ;)

Just a quick update. I just reinstalled and ran the nvidia driver install before multibeast. Did the trick. Try it

shane4242 said:
Just a quick update. I just reinstalled and ran the nvidia driver install before multibeast. Did the trick. Try it
I did a clean combo update to 10.6.8 w/o anything other than OS X installed at first. Then, I used Multibeast, after which I used the Quadro drivers. My GPU is a GTX480 and I can't seem to make it work. I tried GraphicsEnabler=no option from Multibeast(no luck). In system profiler, it detects the card and the VRAM correctly, but I cant seem to go above the res. 1024x768 and there is no QE/CI(no Dashboard ripples after adding gadgets). What should I do? Can I fix this without re-installing it all over again? :x

Thanks

I ended up getting so frustrated ( I tired older drivers, EFI strings, NVenabler, etc) that I switched to an ATI card (6870) and that seems to be working fine. I switched since a friend who works at Apple suggested that ATI has been and will be better supported than nVidia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back