Contribute
Register

Anyone get Lion to install lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am about out of ideas here--I've tried everything I can find in this forum, but I still cannot get Lion to install using UniBeast, or the alternate method. I get the "Still waiting for root device" error, but that's only if I use the USB3 port on my machine...it won'teven recognize the USB drive if I try putting it in a USB2 port. So I am just wondering if anyone has gotten Lion to install in the past 1-2 days, from a version downloaded from the App Store in the past day or two?

Is it possible that Apple somehow changed something in their executable?

I find it pretty odd though, that I should be able to use a USB2 port (according to everything I've read here in the forum), but there's just no way my machine will recognize the USB as a source of the installer unless I use a USB3 port.

TB

And you are trying to install on what hardware?

Well, I just built a high-end CustoMac, using the parts list on this site. In a nutshell...

GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD3
i7-2600K w/ CoolerMaster Hyper212 Evo
G.SKILL Ripskill (16gb)
Corsair HX750
OCZ Vertex 3 120gb SSD
Gigabyte Radeon 6850

I've tried every combination of options I could find in this forum, but I simply cannot seem to get the UniBeast-created installed (or the alternate installer, for that matter) to recognize the flashdrive when it's in a USB2.0 slot. It *does* find it when it's in a USB3 slot, but then the installation fails with the "Still waiting for root device" error.

The odd thing is that the USB stick doesn't show up in the BIOS hard disk drive list, unless it's in the USB3 slot...putting it a the USB2 slot doesn't do it. And I've tried ALL the usb2 slots in my machine.

Scratching my head here, which is why I wondered if there was something that has somehow changed with Lion?

TB

Hold the phone, it's working!

The problem?

My machine didn't like this USB drive. It's new, and apparently the machine thinks it's a USB3 drive. So, because I'd read someplace that it might be worthwhile to try another stick, I dug out an older one I had laying around. I backed up its contents, ran UniBeast on it, wrote Lion to it, and booted to it. She fired right off.

Unbelievable.

NOTE FOR OTHERS STRUGGLING WITH THE SAME PROBLEM: My PNY 8gb Attache USB drive DID NOT WORK for this project. I had to use an older San Disk 8gb stick. So if everything you're trying keeps failing, try a different USB stick. It doesn't matter that UniBeast wrote Lion to this stick, or that the machine sees the stick in another OS...or that it works in a USB3 slot. Or that it works on 5 other computers in my house, LOL. Try a different stick!

Sheesh!

TB

Although I use a different GigaByte motherboard, here's a guess: maybe it has something to do with Legacy USB not being enabled in the BIOS. I was surprised to find that my USB2 memory sticks simply weren't recognized in the BIOS boot menu without the Legacy option being enabled first.

Hmmm, interesting... I'll have to check on that tomorrow. I'm cooked for the day on this.

I did get Lion installed, but now it won't restart. I get a crap-load of text in back of some gray coloring, and a message that says something to the effect of "Your machine needs to be restarted. Press and hold the power button..." etc. When I shut it down and then restart, it won't boot to the Lion drive--it hangs. So I never even get a chance to run MultiBeast. I tried re-installing Lion using the "GraphicsEnabler=No -v" line, but got the same results. So I need to research this a bit more tonight and then have another go tomorrow. I don't think this is a kernel panic--there's certainly no stack trace information that I remember seeing.

But in any event, Mac Lion lives on my SSD drive--which is a LOT further than I was yesterday.

TB

EDIT: Forgot to ask... Does the Radeon 6850 card need to be OUT of the machine when Lion is installed? I've read that the supported cards can stay, but then I think I've read where you should only use on-board video until Mac OS X is installed (not sure what version that was for...or which card). But none of the YouTube videos I've seen on the matter seem to say anything about removing the PCIe video card for the Lion installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back