Contribute
Register

Anyone else getting the "raid" mark on their boot drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77N-WIFI
CPU
i5 3570k
Graphics
GT 240
I'm getting that "boot0" error. I can boot to my USB drive but this is what's weird. My Yosemite boot icon has "raid" written on it. Why I try to boot using the "Yosemite" icon, I get the "Can't find /System/...kernel" error. Booting off the USB drive and selecting the USB drive will boot to the desktop, but I don't have any sound.

Does anyone else see this and having boot errors?

I also have a "raid" icon in Chimera using USB.
Chimera did not install correctly to be able to boot my SSD. (was working fine in Mavericks)

The partition on my SSD is now a Logical volume (CoreStorage), I guess that's why Chimera won't install correctly and partition is seen as a raid.
I though I've made a mistake at first, but I've recreated the partition a second time to be sure.
I don't understand why the partition is converted to a Logical volume during the installation.

root# diskutil list
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *128.0 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_CoreStorage 127.2 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
/dev/disk1
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: Apple_HFS SSD Yosemite *126.8 GB disk1
Logical Volume on disk0s2
1F2DEAC7-83C0-477E-AB97-96B933793F9B
Unencrypted

I just checked mine. It's a logical partition as well.

I'm seeing it on my SSD as well... leading to all kinds of problems. See the thread about "can't find mach_kernel".

I think I'll try coping my SSD to a spinning platter drive; installing 10.10 there, and the copying it back to the SSD.

It's late here, but I'll try cloning my SSD to an external drive, reformatting the SSD as a primary, then cloning back.

It's late here, but I'll try cloning my SSD to an external drive, reformatting the SSD as a primary, then cloning back.

It's always good to have a USB with Ubuntu Live, for cases like this.

Yep... I'm exhausted. Been at this all day. I've got a couple of backups on spinning drives, so I'll try booting from one of them, and installing 10.10 on it. If that works, then I'll clone it back to the SSD and see if I can boot from that.

Got over 500GB on the drive, so it's several hours in each direction.. and will simply have to wait for tomorrow.

Perhaps someone from TonyMacX will see the SSD issue and be able to fix it in a new iteration of Chimera...

Are we having fun yet? :)

(Thanks: you may have figured it out...)

Last edited:
The conversion to a logical group is normal. As to why Apple is doing this, Ars has a few theories in its review.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/10/os-x-10-10/2/#installation

I have a fusion drive, and I was able to fix my issue by redoing the fusion drive guide at the point after the disks are made. Just a guess, but I imagine you could follow the same instructions, putting your logical group ID in the chameleon plist and moving it via the terminal, along with the chimera boot files.

Same issue here...

***UPDATE***

Installed & configured Clover. iMessage is working perfectly now, and no other issues have arisen.

I don't know why I didn't do this sooner.

:headbang:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back