Contribute
Register

Any USB Mouse/Camera Recognized as Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a heads up.

andyvand:
I've made some new kexts that allow you to use Apple's AppleUSBHIDMouse.kext or AppleUSBHIDMouse.kext.
All you need to do is replace 4x the USB Vendor and USB Device entries with the decimal value of your keyboard or mouse and install them.
They will then after reboot ensure you are using Apple's kexts (which work much better).
I also created one to fake iSight camera... same procedure...

To clarify, you need to convert the HEX value (what you see in Profiler/ioreg) of Vendor ID and Device ID to DECIMAL, then replace the entries in Info.plist for the kexts you want to use (4 for the mouse, 1 for the webcam).

My laptop's Suyin webcam is now recognized as a builtin iSight and works in iChat.

Go grab the goodies HERE.

Edit: Fixed the subject.

Thanks. Yeah, webcams are pretty standard stuff, you'd have to be pretty unlucky to not get one working properly. I did, kinda - my Suyin camera wouldn't work in either iChat or Photo booth. It does now - whether that's due to this kext, or as a result of one of FatShenanigan's DSDT edits I don't know.

Its all cosmetic to me, anyway - I have 3 webcams lying around and I have never actually used any of them beyond fiddling on the first day and going "Woooo!", before getting distracted by something else shiny.

Dammit you guys! :banghead:

You've drawn me back into ad-hoc hacking. :eek:

You've made me get under the bonnet and get dirty when I thought I'd left this all for a sedate life of pre-packaged, download-and-go ease :geek:

All the hoops I've had to jump through just to figure out how edit this particular .kext :?

All of that learning that I was trying to avoid which I'm sure will make me want to do other stuff... :think:

Yeah... thanks a bunch...

Yours, as a kicking & screaming newber-geek,

Schprocket :thumbup:

Follow-up Edited & saved the plist with Smultron, installed .kext using Kext Helper. System Profiler shows the Logitech QuickCam (hex ID 0x08f6) camera as In Built iSight :thumbup: but OSX apps (iChat) don't show that camera is attached :( .

That said, the macam app which was working before the kext install, albeit poorly with occasional frame-freeze, is worked smoothly once but since stopping and restarting the app won't show any live-video yet restarting the app and live-feed video worked before.
I'm guessing it'll work after a reboot but I may just have to try out the PS3 camera instead.

Schprocket said:
Dammit you guys! :banghead:

You've drawn me back into ad-hoc hacking. :shock

Welcome to the club. :mrgreen: :ugeek: :ugeek:

:D Cheers Tony, and thanks to you and the rest of the crew for making this Hackintosh stuff easy for the "old" guys like me :)

For the record, the PS3 Eye works nicely and I can get it to display/record with macam but iChat still won't recognise the video, even though the app was happy to acknowledge and even automatically use the PS3 mic without prompting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back