Contribute
Register

Any suggestions for buying the best possible Gaming Laptop that is Hackintosh compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
At the moment, after doing my research on this, it seems like Dell 15 7559 with the 6th Generation Intel Core CPUs (Skylake) and a NvDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5 is the best possible "gamer", or "gaming" laptop available on the market that can be Hackintoshed.

And it is also because it already has clear and easy to follow guides made for them already that are maintained and updated.

I was going to ask about the New Inspiron 15 series with NvIDIA GTX 1050Ti with 4GB GDDR5 but they have the 7th generation Intel Core cpus (Kaby Lake), so I doubt they would actually work, unless I'm wrong about this, if so, please correct me.

Please Note that I already understand that nVidia dedicated GPUs can't be used on the Mac OS X side after booting up, although I've heard something about some nVidia Mac OS X experimental or beta drivers available released in late 2016 for them, but I don't know too much about them right.

My point is that I just want to be able to dual-boot Mac OS X with Windows on a Hackintosh laptop and being able to play games using the dedicated GPU when booting into Windows as that is really the whole point of a hackintosh "gaming" laptop in the first place since nVidia GPUs are not compatible and can't be used when booted into Mac OS X on a Hackintosh.

I also understand the many limitations and flaws that not everything will work after Mac OS X is installed and booted up onto a Hackintosh laptop. It won't be a complete perfect Mac OS X on a Hackintosh laptop, I understand this, just a reminder.

If anyone can suggest a better gaming laptop that can be Hackintoshed I'd really appreciate it.

What I'm looking for ideally one that have a decent Intel Core i7 CPU with a 17" screen (4K or not doesn't really matter) and a GeForce GTX 980M gpu or above, optionally a slimmer and thinner design of the laptop chasis if possible, but it's really light weight, and not too bulky and heavy.

As that had always been the criteria of what I am aiming for, but I guess it seems that for now I'll just have to settle for a 15" screen and a GTX 960M, unless somehow a new Hackintosh guide for a Razerblade or a MSI Stealth Pro laptop is released this year or something.

When buying a laptop for dedicated GPU, make sure the spec is for the GPU and check with the factory to see if the onCPU iGPU has been disabled in BIOS/UEFI.
I have an Asus ROG G751JY-VS71(WX) 17" laptop currently running Sierra 10.12.3 on a dedicated GTX980 with i7 4720HQ CPU. I have not got it working 100% yet, but working on it - mostly keyboard problems with function keys like audio up/down, eject ODD disc, etc. and sleep/wake, but it is usable.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DT4A2K6/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

I have seen some attempts with the G752 in the Laptop Forum. You might want to check out https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/laptop-compatibility.114/

When buying a laptop for dedicated GPU, make sure the spec is for the GPU and check with the factory to see if the onCPU iGPU has been disabled in BIOS/UEFI.

Is this "onCPU iGPU" a setting in the BIOS? Or would I have to contact the manufacturer and speak to someone from tech support to verify this?

I have an Asus ROG G751JY-VS71(WX) 17" laptop currently running Sierra 10.12.3 on a dedicated GTX980 with i7 4720HQ CPU. I have not got it working 100% yet, but working on it - mostly keyboard problems with function keys like audio up/down, eject ODD disc, etc. and sleep/wake, but it is usable.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DT4A2K6/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Any chance for a guide for your Asus laptop? But it appears it's still a long work in progress, but it's good to know that most of it works fine. Surprisingly, only the Dell 15 7559 have the fewest compatibility issues for a gaming laptop running on Mac OS X, last I've checked the main thing that wouldn't work was just the SD Card slot for it, but everything else can be patched and works, and the on-board wi-fi board can be swapped out for one that works so that was a big plus.

I really should have re-worded the question to "if there really is any other gaming laptops out there on the market right now that is even better than the Dell Inspiron 15 7559 for a gaming laptop that can be hackintoshed?"

And if so, do any guides exist for them here on these forums? I was mainly looking for a slimmer thinner form factor gaming laptop since they are lighter and don't weigh much, 17 inch screen, and with a GPU from GTX 980m or above. But it doesn't seem like the case right now.

I'm also considering Thunderbolt 3 and External GPU options since that's another new thing, which may offer more flexibility in choosing a really good gaming laptop that can be made into a hackintosh without being limited to looking for a minimum ideal GPU.

I've seen guides for gaming laptops Acer Aspire V15 Nitro VN7-591G-70RT and Lenovo Y50 here at these forums which can also be hackintoshed, but overall I think Dell 15 7559 surpass them both in terms of specs and design and would be better purchase.

Thanks Going Bald, I look forward to your response soon.

Suggest you look with your favorite WWW search engine for a better gaming laptop and find one that meets your needs/wants.
Then you look at the specs and compare them to the laptop compatibility guide. Enter the laptop model into the forum search engine to see if anyone else has succeeded with it. Laptops are not as easy as desktops - a lot of times the BIOS/UEFI is so locked down and limited to what you can change that even if the laptop is, by the specs, immensely suitable and the best hardware possible, you still fail because of not being able to change a critical setting. Laptops are really a hit-or-miss proposition.

Suggest you look with your favorite WWW search engine for a better gaming laptop and find one that meets your needs/wants.
Then you look at the specs and compare them to the laptop compatibility guide. Enter the laptop model into the forum search engine to see if anyone else has succeeded with it. Laptops are not as easy as desktops - a lot of times the BIOS/UEFI is so locked down and limited to what you can change that even if the laptop is, by the specs, immensely suitable and the best hardware possible, you still fail because of not being able to change a critical setting. Laptops are really a hit-or-miss proposition.

I recently did find and locate a guide here for a laptop with GTX 1050 Ti https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...7-and-similar-near-full-functionality.234988/

So that's a significant improvement over the older GTX 960M of the Dell Inspiron 15 7559s.

It seems like that's the only laptop with the highest GTX supported GPU that is hackintosh compatible to date, and of course I know and understand that the dedicated NVidia GPU won't work on when booting into Mac OS, but it will be fine for a dual-boot setup with Windows.

I'm still trying to see if there is another guide already made for a laptop that has GTX 1060 or beyond and preferably with a 17-inch screen and that's only because there are no Apple of Macintosh laptops out there that support Virtual Reality applications or games as of now and GTX 1060 is the minimum for compatibility with Virtual Reality applications. As I don't remember what is the minimum AMD GPU specifications for Virtual Reality support, but none of the current generation Apple laptops or even desktops have support for them.

It's very difficult to choose which laptop is the best for gaming in low budget price. Gaming laptop its very heavy laptops when I check then I found many laptop expenses price. After searching finally someone suggest me about HP 15-ba043wm is one of the best gaming laptop under $500 found from here https://www.reviewsdir.com/best-gaming-laptops-under-500/. It’s a perfect fit for your need. With a few modification and software integration, you can make it compatible with Hackintosh and easily enjoy the soothing experience of gaming as it has a lot to offer in gaming attributes.

Last edited:
It looks like that HP 15-ba043wm uses an AMD CPU. This site doesn't support AMD CPUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back