Contribute
Register

Any success with Catalina on i7-7700k with Z270 Gaming 7 MB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte-Z270X-Gaming 7
CPU
i7-7700k
Graphics
i7-7700k GPU
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Other
Hi,

Has anyone had any success with Catalina on i7-7700k with Z270 Gaming 7 MB... or related components.

I haven't tried yet.... since i'm still stuck on High Sierra.... being unable to migrate to Mojave due to numerous weird install errors.
The install fails before completing... and i don't have the skills to problem solve at that level.

Figured i'd TRY fresh install with Catalina at some stage..... unless the CPU/MB combo is truely unsupported for Catalina.
Hence my query if anyone is successful at this time?

Cheers
Chris

Hi, Has anyone had any success with Catalina on i7-7700k with Z270 Gaming 7 MB... or related components. I haven't tried yet.... since i'm still stuck on High Sierra.... being unable to migrate to Mojave due to numerous weird install errors. The install fails before completing... and i don't have the skills to problem solve at that level. Figured i'd TRY fresh install with Catalina at some stage..... unless the CPU/MB combo is truely unsupported for Catalina. Hence my query if anyone is successful at this time? Cheers Chris

well its better you wait for the mojave final build and get a proper built up, there seem no reason as why it wont work there must be something wrong on your boot usb creation or file as the combo of cpu and motherboard is perfect for a mojave install what are the details of your graphic card

I don't use a dedicated graphics card... so the inbuilt gpu of the 7700.
I'm running High Sierra fine... but since its my only hackintosh... i don't have alot of time to spend on trying to upgrade/install to Mojave.
As i said... it fails during the install off usb media.
Well technically it gets to about 90%.... then machine reboots.
When it tries to boot the NEW install... it is clearly missing some key files.

I don't know how to capture the errors during unexpected reboot.

I searched on errors.. and yes it suggests a problem with the installer... but i've followed all the install steps.

I assume it may be a USB issue...... perhaps as drivers are loaded near the final stages.. it must load usb drivers which then cause the installation usb to disconnect or timeout.... and then reboot. Just a guess.

I do use a USB2 hub to install... as i learnt early on using usb drive in usb3.0 port ALWAYS failed.
Thought it was due to NVME target drive... but discovered it was due to usb3.0 ports.

Was hoping maybe i'd have better luck with Catalina... and could jump a whole release.

Anyway.. i'll try find time to give it another go.

I don't use a dedicated graphics card... so the inbuilt gpu of the 7700.
I'm running High Sierra fine... but since its my only hackintosh... i don't have alot of time to spend on trying to upgrade/install to Mojave.
As i said... it fails during the install off usb media.
Well technically it gets to about 90%.... then machine reboots.
When it tries to boot the NEW install... it is clearly missing some key files.

I don't know how to capture the errors during unexpected reboot.

I searched on errors.. and yes it suggests a problem with the installer... but i've followed all the install steps.

I assume it may be a USB issue...... perhaps as drivers are loaded near the final stages.. it must load usb drivers which then cause the installation usb to disconnect or timeout.... and then reboot. Just a guess.

I do use a USB2 hub to install... as i learnt early on using usb drive in usb3.0 port ALWAYS failed.
Thought it was due to NVME target drive... but discovered it was due to usb3.0 ports.

Was hoping maybe i'd have better luck with Catalina... and could jump a whole release.

Anyway.. i'll try find time to give it another go.

• Trying to install Catalina Beta Public release on a set of hardware that had problem installing a released version of macOS Mojave is NOT a good strategy in the first place as Beta OS (and any Beta software in general) may have bugs that need to be fixed.

• Your listed Motherboard Gigabyte-Z270X-Gaming 7 and CPU i7-7700k with its associated Intel HD 630 are all macOS Mojave compatible up to its 10.14.5

Just as an update to my OP, i did successfully install Mojave finally.
I was also able to install Catalina... but thats only a Test install and it has many issues.
Still waiting for the tools to be updated for Catalina, and i'll retry a test upgrade to Catalina again later and try to solve some of my issues before i commit to upgrading my primary.

cvee72 : what problems did you encounter on catalina? I have asus z270 with 7700k and everything is working. Only problem I had using built in gpu (Intel HD 630) was with sleep. I bought rx 580 and now even wake/sleep works like on real mac + video perfomance is much better etc. FCPX and even on simple deskotop task so I highly recommend buying cheap used rx 580 :)

Still waiting for the tools to be updated for Catalina, and i'll retry a test upgrade to Catalina again later and try to solve some of my issues before i commit to upgrading my primary.
Which tools do you mean? I use the same mainboard and CPU, as gonzolak said, with the Intel GPU waking up does not work.

Which tools do you mean? I use the same mainboard and CPU, as gonzolak said, with the Intel GPU waking up does not work.

I meant the Unibeast and Multibeast tools. I used Mojave versions and did work mostly.... but figure the install will be smoother with more correct config settings when they are released.

Any chance you can provide me your EFI folder?

cvee72 : what problems did you encounter on catalina? I have asus z270 with 7700k and everything is working. Only problem I had using built in gpu (Intel HD 630) was with sleep.

I can’t get CPU to correctly identify itself during boot sequence.... and related associated issues with GPU. My Mac os dock is not opaque... which I believe is due to igpu. i followed a few guides but no luck yet. I also have USB issues which I’ve not spent any time looking into... nor have i verified if my thunderbolt storage works yet.
I haven’t used a dedicated graphics card because my monitor is an Apple Thunderbolt Display. Most gfx cards output DP/HDMI only and wasn’t sure how it would work. Plus I don’t really need a dedicated gpu.

Here is the EFI folder. Right now I do not use this mainboard and I can not say if everything works.
Copy the provided folder to EFI/Clover/OEM/ if this not meet your expectations, just delete it and you're back to the old config.

Attachments

• Z270X-Gaming 7.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 339
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back