Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI X99A SLI PLUS
CPU
Graphics
Vega 64
Hi everybody,

Just got Mojave running on my X99 system. I'd like to replace my GTX 970 with a Vega 64. I've read a few threads and it looks like most folks have it working and the fan issues are mostly sorted.

Any reason not to get it for FCP and Resolve work?

Hi everybody,

Just got Mojave running on my X99 system. I'd like to replace my GTX 970 with a Vega 64. I've read a few threads and it looks like most folks have it working and the fan issues are mostly sorted.

Any reason not to get it for FCP and Resolve work?

The reference models or single fan models have a fix for the fan issue. Some of the multi fan models still have an issue.

The reference models or single fan models have a fix for the fan issue. Some of the multi fan models still have an issue.
Cool. Thanks. I'm thinking a reference model is the way to go. I assume multi fan models just cool better, right. Maybe quieter...?

Cool. Thanks. I'm thinking a reference model is the way to go. I assume multi fan models just cool better, right. Maybe quieter...?

Yes they do but you might want to check users with those to see if they have fan issue solved. @pastrychef has worked with a lot of users and may have some idea of which work ones well.

I never even tried to keep track of which Vega cards with custom coolers do not have the fan issue. There are just too many varieties...

The only thing I do know is that Vega cards with reference style coolers can have the fan issue resolved through the use of either kexts or patches.

Cards with custom coolers will almost certainly cool better than reference. The biggest downside to those types of coolers is that they do not evacuate the heat out of the case and can potentially make other components run hotter such as VRM and CPU. If the heat from the GPU is kept inside the case and it causes the CPU to run hotter, I would assume that the CPU cooler fans will run higher...

@pastrychef I was leaning towards the reference cards. I've been reading some of the threads where you've been helping people... you're a fantastic help and resource.

@pastrychef, I forgot to ask if you use FCPX or Resolve with your Vega 56? If so, are you happy with the performance?

@pastrychef, I forgot to ask if you use FCPX or Resolve with your Vega 56? If so, are you happy with the performance?

Check in with KGP X99 extended build guide. Another very helpful person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back