Contribute
Register

Any Other THUNDERBOLT MB besides Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
Core 2 Duo 2.8
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey!

I'm building a new Hackintosh MacPro, and I need it to have a Thunderbolt input (I'm using it for audio work with UAD stuff, that only works with Thunderbolt).:rolleyes:

I was gonna start buying it, but I have noticed that the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH MotherBoard is out of stock everywhere. :banghead: I'm in Canada (Vancouver), so I looked at both Canadian and US websites.

And, in the buying guide I couldn't find any other motherboard with Thunderbolt inputs.

Any alternative for this? Any MB that has TH and works for Hackintoshes?

Thanks for your help, people!:)

I use an Asrock z97 Extreme 6 with a Thunderbolt 2 add in card. It connects to my Thunderbolt display and works with the camera and a Firewire external drive connected to the monitor. I don't know if it would work with an audio device, but everything I have connected so far does seem to work.

ASUS makes a thunderbolt add in card for some motherboards that should work also.

Hey! I didn't know there was "Thunderbolt cards" available. I thought it only came built in the motherboard! Thanks a lot for your help :)

Hey! I didn't know there was "Thunderbolt cards" available. I thought it only came built in the motherboard! Thanks a lot for your help :)

Add in cards do not work with all boards - the board must have a TB header connection to connect internally via cable to the PCIe TB card. Look carefully at the board specs ind especially the internal connections list. If TB connector is not in the list, the PCIe add in card will not work with that board.

(reply below)

Add in cards do not work with all boards - the board must have a TB header connection to connect internally via cable to the PCIe TB card. Look carefully at the board specs ind especially the internal connections list. If TB connector is not in the list, the PCIe add in card will not work with that board.

Yeah, yesterday, after reading cdrhoek message, I saw that it's not that simple.

I have seen that the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH is out of stock EVERYWHERE, making me think that they stopped producing it.

Maybe a new upgraded model is on it's way!? I sincerely hope so... Thunderbolt is really important for people building Hackintoshes for audio purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back