Contribute
Register

Any method for installing Mojave through a USB 3.0 flash drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370M-D3H
CPU
i7-8086K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys, I’m rather new to hackintosh. I built my first hackintosh about a month ago starting with high Sierra 10.13.6. I originally had GTX1070 for my build and I decided to sell it and get a RX580 for Mojave.
I received the RX580 and did a clean install of Mojave 10.14.1 few days ago. Sorted out my USB3.0 ports by following this guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/

Everything works fine now, just that I had encountered a small issue during the installation.
At first, I started with a USB3.0 memory stick and I couldn’t install macOS from the USB3.0 memory stick. The installation stuck at some point. I then went through the installation with a USB2.0 memory stick and it went smoothly.

In fact, this had happened when I did my first attempt on high Sierra back then.
I’ve tried putting a few kexts in Clover/kexts/other but still no luck. I did a little digging and found this thread.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...b-2-0-vs-3-0-why-is-usb-2-recommended.199535/
It's mentioned in this thread and the multibeast guide that for best result, insert the USB in a USB 2.0 port. But my mobo doesn't have any USB2.0 port, although i managed to install with a USB 2.0 flash drive in a USB 3.0 port.

It doesn’t make that much of a difference as long as the OS is working fine, but the installation with USB2.0 flash drive took me almost two hours and I’d love to speed up the process if it is possible, just in case when it comes to a need for clean install.

Hope someone could help me with it. I’ve attached the Clover folder and the verbose. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 85
  • Verbose.zip
    70.6 MB · Views: 126
You can use the same SSDT-UIAC.aml + USBInjectAll.kext (and XHCI-unsupported.kext if needed) for working USB2 during installation.
Thanks for the reply, I tried it but still no luck. Anyway, I'm just gonna hold on to installing with a USB2.0 memory stick. :D

For the 370 boards you have to configure your USB a bit before you can use it. After making my install USB I had to add a variety of things to make it work. If you have a working setup for that board, why not move your EFI folder to the USB drive?

I had the same problem. Ultimately I was able to use USB3, but only the onboard ports. It did not work with the ports on my hub or the one in my case (although basically they're just extended onboard ports too, but whatever).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back