Contribute
Register

Any luck with 64 bit kernel and extensions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte
CPU
i7-4790k
Graphics
Intel
Hey All, first time long time.

I've got a setup 95% functional (everything but no usb when waking from sleep unless i replug the cable)

However, like many macs and hacks when i go into the software tab of system profiler i see this:

64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No

When i try to use multibeast to get 64 bit working i boot to a blue screen after the apple logo grey screen, but the desktop never appears.

Any ideas? and is there even a benefit to booting into the 64 bit kernel?

My setup:

Gygabyte GA-p67x-ud3
i7-2600k
8GB ddr3 1600
Vertex 3 10gb
geforce 7300 gt (ouch!)

You need to install BridgeHelper to get full SB support. I used the setting in MultiBeast for 64bit apple screen. It says you MUST have a DSDT edit for it to work, but I've had it running before with no DSDT edits.

Hope this helps, :)

**Edit** noticed your vid card. it is most likely the culprit. Its age denotes that it *could* possibly be the root of the blue screen freeze symptom. See if you can scrounge up an old PNY 210 GT for testing purposes, good card for the mild user. If you want more horsepower, try a GT 430 *Fermi*.

These are merely suggestions, and i have had both cards working in 64bit before with little to no issues whatsoever. * Fermi froze on me once in a week, but its common for them to randomly freeze, IIRC.*

Hope this helps you in some way, Cheers
~~Grave

you can try this manually try this i did and it works

To try to boot x86_64 kernel on Macintosh, edit this file:
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
find there:
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
and change it to
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=x86_64</string>

If you take their advice and get a supported video card, I can tell you it took me less than 1 hour starting from scratch to install SL using Gordo's guide along with his notes for the GA-P67X-D3 and the DSDT from the database.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I figured it might be the GPU .. i have a 6970 just waiting for support .. until then i was using what i had lying around.

I do have a dsdt and bridge helper .. like i said everything works flawlessly with the 32 bit kernel.

Any other suggestions on a cheap supported video card i can find on ebay or newegg for testing?

EDIT: Did some snooping and found out that Pro Tools 9 (which is really all i use this computer for) is 32 bit anyway .. so i guess it's a moot point for now. Most likely by the time PT supports 64bit OSX will support 6970 so it won't matter.

Here's a geekbench of the system for views:

Geekbench.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back