Contribute
Register

Any Kick Drum Wizards - Logic Pro 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd use an 1176 (Waves' Blue line would be my weapon of choice for most kicks) and maybe SPL's Transient Designer and some EQ'ing to tweak it to perfection/infamy (delete as applicable)

If it helps you could email the kick track to me and I'll give it a mauling for you ;)

HTH

Any drum replace might be both time consuming and will most likely sound robotic. It's extremely hard to get the nuances and dynamics of a real kick drum through a trigger.

Agreed...

Re-triggering always sounds, well like re-triggering in a mix (and then the sin is often compounded with tons of inappropriate swimmy reverb and/or gating that destroys any remaining dynamics)

IMO its far better to multilayer/multisample if you can't get the sound you want quickly and time is pressing ;)

But then of course breaking the rules can often work...

As Joe Meek said (sometime before shooting the Landlandy (as one does ;) ))...

"If it sounds right, it probably is right"

It follows logically that if it doesn't sound right, it probably isn't :cool:

. The kick is audible but it just sounds like complete ass.

Just re-read, and I have to ask...

Have you checked the phase of that (the SM57 kick drum) track ? (It sounds like it might possibly be phase cancellation)

Try zooming right in and checking it against the OH's (or any tracks where the kick has bled through (as a reference)) and making sure the wave forms allign nicely (and avoid phase cancellation)

If it is misalligned it would make it sound weak and "kinda crappy" (and on re-allignment all it will need is a Gain plugin but an 1176 on the kick and Cytomic's Glue on the drum buss is nearly always a good thing to try)

HTH :)

I realise that this thread has been laying dormant for a while, however I would like to suggest something that hasn't been mentioned..

Keeping it simple, but have you considered side-chaining through a compressor? A nice little way of getting extra oomph from your kick or snare is to side chain a signal generator with either a decently low sine for a kick or some white noise for a snare.. Works well with outboard gear, and I have used it couple of times in DAW land with reasonable success. You can then adjust your attack time with the compressor settings to get it sounding nice and punchy..

It is by no means the answer, but it can get you out of tight spots (if you have no more tracking time, poor kick drum etc) Works nicely live also.. Dependent upon musical genre of course..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back