Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hiya, I'm working on some mixes and am trying to maximize the kick drum sound as best as possible however it's turning out to be a real headache.

The problem is the kick drum track didn't have a strong signal coming in. To make a long story short, the drums were mic'ed up with only 4 mics. One of them,an SM 57 was stuck inside the kick drum however I don't think there was a strong enough signal coming in. The kick is audible but it just sounds like complete ass.

I've tried using drum replacement with a gate insert to kinda help trigger it a little better but it didn't really work out. The audio file spectrum is not very clean.

So I'm asking the pro audio recording wizards for any tricks to help make crap into gold, or at least aluminum. :lol:

Hi,
try to make a ''parallel Compression'' or called ''NewYork Compression Style'' for your Kick.
Open a new Bus and insert a Compressor and if you like a tool like SPLs Transienten Designer in the Bus.
Make a Send from your Kickdrum to your new created Bus.
The compressor should have a harder compression.
This is a way to get a more present Kickdrum in a mix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRh_Plgwt-Q&feature=related

Cheers!

Or re-record the kick with a kick mic. ;)

image1079363395_d1124055c743041bf.jpg

http://www.akg.com/site/products/powers ... ge,EN.html

salty dog said:
You could use Logic Pro 9's built in drum replacer, it works pretty well.

This video gives you a brief overview of what it can do and how to use it.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Tldf6Ogqf5o

Agreed. Your best bet is to replace it with a triggered sample.

Of course you could also manually do it by playing a MIDI sample along with the track, but that's so 1992. :D

beelzebozo said:
Hiya, I'm working on some mixes and am trying to maximize the kick drum sound as best as possible however it's turning out to be a real headache.

The problem is the kick drum track didn't have a strong signal coming in. To make a long story short, the drums were mic'ed up with only 4 mics. One of them,an SM 57 was stuck inside the kick drum however I don't think there was a strong enough signal coming in. The kick is audible but it just sounds like complete ass.

I've tried using drum replacement with a gate insert to kinda help trigger it a little better but it didn't really work out. The audio file spectrum is not very clean.

So I'm asking the pro audio recording wizards for any tricks to help make crap into gold, or at least aluminum. :lol:
Your best bet is drum replacement. To that end you should make a copy of the kick track and do everything humanly possible to get it as clean and loud as possible. Use EQ, filters, compression, noise gate, etc. Doesn't matter if it sounds terrible, just as long as it's enough to trigger the drum replacer.

I didn't particularly like drum replacer as it is a little slow on the attack.

a better option would be to do the thing where you can export a threshold on an audio track as a new midi track (i forget the name of the process - haven't used logic in a while) and use esx24 or whatever to trigger a nice sounding sample.

Any drum replace might be both time consuming and will most likely sound robotic. It's extremely hard to get the nuances and dynamics of a real kick drum through a trigger.

The amount of hrs I've spent er 'polishing turds' (no reflection on your work I'm sure it's excellent!) when, in hindsight, it would have take half the time to re record... :think:

I have had some successes re sampling (to be able to use envelopes etc) and I certainly recommend parallel compression... It's not just for drums :silent:

I hope you have some success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back