Graphics
GTX 650
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've seen that the most used MoBo is the GA-EX58-UD3R.

Is GA-EX58-UD5 better? Anyone did a custoMac with this one?

Thanks
Michael

The UD5 has a few more features than the UD3, but both boards are great. I'm using the EX58-UD5 with Chameleon 2 RC5 rev. 629 along with dOOd's DSDT (linked below). If you do decide to go with the UD5, the DSDT from here is fine, but its not anywhere near as optimized as dOOd's. If you scroll down to the bottom of the first post, he's made DSDTs for each specific processor (i7 920, 930, 950, etc.). I use Mac Pro 4,1 and my /E/E contains only FakeSMC, Legacy889aHDA, and IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector. I find my temps to be better using this method vs. Multibeast.
If you need my extra folder or anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

Chameleon 2 RC5 rev. 629 - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=231075

dOOd's UD5 thread with DSDT and info - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=196771

Jocelyn84 said:
The UD5 has a few more features than the UD3, but both boards are great. I'm using the EX58-UD5 with Chameleon 2 RC5 rev. 629 along with dOOd's DSDT (linked below). If you do decide to go with the UD5, the DSDT from here is fine, but its not anywhere near as optimized as dOOd's. If you scroll down to the bottom of the first post, he's made DSDTs for each specific processor (i7 920, 930, 950, etc.). I use Mac Pro 4,1 and my /E/E contains only FakeSMC, Legacy889aHDA, and IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector. I find my temps to be better using this method vs. Multibeast.
If you need my extra folder or anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

Chameleon 2 RC5 rev. 629 - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=231075

dOOd's UD5 thread with DSDT and info - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=196771
Jocelyn84
Thanks for your reply and for the links you suggested. :)
By the way you were born when I was 16 ;)

As you probably know I have two simultaneus goals: architecture and music composition/hard disk recording with MotU DP6.
That's why I'm thinking of a 3 HD system where one 750GB HD contains just applications and settings and the other two contain sample data and music and architectural works.
The processor will be an Intel i7 950, instead of a 930, with 12GB of RAM.

About the motherboard I'm still undecided between UD3R and UD5 although the first was more tested...
I'm also worried about DSDT as a postinstallation procedure... I wouldn't create damages to the system.

I'll be back again with a complete hardware list before I buy.

Thanks
Michael

wavesequence said:
Jocelyn84
Thanks for your reply and for the links you suggested. :)
By the way you were born when I was 16 ;)

As you probably know I have two simultaneus goals: architecture and music composition/hard disk recording with MotU DP6.
That's why I'm thinking of a 3 HD system where one 750GB HD contains just applications and settings and the other two contain sample data and music and architectural works.
The processor will be an Intel i7 950, instead of a 930, with 12GB of RAM.

About the motherboard I'm still undecided between UD3R and UD5 although the first was more tested...
I'm also worried about DSDT as a postinstallation procedure... I wouldn't create damages to the system.

I'll be back again with a complete hardware list before I buy.

Thanks
Michael

HAHA, cute! Honestly, both boards are incredibly easy. If you do wind up going with the EX58-UD5 (don't confuse this with the X58A-UD5), I'll give you simple steps from A-Z and include all the files I used. Doing the DSDT part is a breeze! You just drop it off in your Extra folder and there's nothing more to it than that. All you would have to do is, update to 10.6.5, run Chameleon 2 RC5 (I'll tell you what to check later), throw my Extra folder on your drive, repair, reboot, and voila! Its really THAT simple. The only additional thing you may have to do is drop Lnx2Mac's realtek driver on Kext Utility, but that's it. If you have any questions about parts, etc., feel free to ask! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back